It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 05:53 PM   #1

buttahroo HB User
Unhappy Abnormal Pap and HPV

Ok, my dr called me today and told me that the pap smear I had in late July came back abnormal.
A few things you all should know:
I have had HPV for about a year now.
Had laser surgery for some internal warts back in February.
I was at the tail end of treatment with Aldara cream (for a few external warts) at the time of the pap.
Apparently, my gyno who performed the laser surgery did a colposcopy during the procedure (I was of course knocked out), which I just found out about today, and everything was fine.
I found out last week that I suffer from vaginismus and vulvar-vestibulitis (courtesy of my gyno).
Okay, now if the abnormal pap is a result of the HPV, why has it not show up on previous paps? I've had 4 in the past year but I never got a call about anything being abnormal.
Is it possible for dysplasia to advance that quickly, within a matter of 6 months? And is it entirely possible that the Aldara interfered with the pap results? (even though it wasn't applied internally).
My doctor is going to call me within a week to let me know when my next colposcopy will be done, mind you I didn't know that one was performed in Feb, and in the meantime I'm on pins and needles. I've never had children, and one day would love to be a mom. Does this cut my chances down of conceiving? I might be worrying myself over nothing, but it's so difficult not to. Does anyone have any advice to offer? I'd be more than appreciative!!!!!

buttahroo.

The Following User Says Thank You to buttahroo For This Useful Post:
tonyarundio (05-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #2

SandyinFL HB User
If I were you I would learn as much as you can about these conditions (its not that much) so you can make the best descion for you, b/c everyone's stroy is a little different.

A colposcopy is just when a doctor looks at your cervix through binoculars. So its not that weird that he did it during that procedure. It usually goes along with most procedures like a leep so they can see what they are doing!!

Since you are scheduled for another coplo he probably didn't take biopsies the first time. So be prepared for that. That should give you more info!!

How abnormal was your pap?? ASCUS? CIN I??

Old 08-14-2003, 01:10 PM   #3

poodge HB User
To answer your question about if dysphasia can advance quickly!! Well, I started to date a guy exactly four months ago!! Like two months into the relationship I found a couple of bumbs very low on his shaft!! I went to the doctor with him and she said it was HPV!! She said that I could have a HPV test done!! I did and it came back positive!! SO she said that they would do the colposcopy!! Did it and I have dysphasia!!! I go in for the leep on Monday!! So yes it can show up quickly!! It took exactly three months for me!! I had a pap smear right when I started dating him and it came back fine!! Today I just found warts!! It's been a rough month!! But with all the research I have done, smocking is the worst thing you can do!! SO if you smoke, you have to stop!! And it's been proven that taking a multi-vitamin and folic acid will help alot!! I wish you the best!!

------------------

Old 08-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #4

buttahroo HB User
Well, I spoke with the doctor's office today, my colposcopy is scheduled for Sept 9th. I asked exactly what the results were on the pap, and the nurse told me all it read was High Grade. Mind you, that was about a month ago, and 4 months before that everything was fine. I'm just alarmed as to how I could go from nothing to high grade in less than 6 months. I'm also alarmed that I have to wait 3 weeks for the colposcopy. If I'm not mistaken, aren't high grade abnormalities a cause for concern? Isn't high grade one step away from cancer?

Buttahroo.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Hi Buttahroo (love the name )

I know exactly how you feel. I went from never having an abnormal pap to low grade pap in December 2002 to high grade pap in February 2003. Doc called mid March and said a colposcopy was scheduled April 1 but due to SARS it kept getting put off and put off until June. I was so terrified it wasn't funny and I have never been so scared in all my life. My doc told me a pap smear is not as accurate as a biopsy and to not take the high grade reading to heart until the biopsy. She said that there isn't a lot of room for classifcation in the pap...either high or low grade and that the biopsy would tell definitively. When I had the actual biopsy it came back moderate (CIN II), not severe (CIN III/ CIS)as the pap said. I had laser treatment in July and go back in October for my three month followup.

The pap test is cause for concern and treatment but please believe me when I say it is not cause to panic. That's what I did and basically made myself sick with worry. This is very treatable and happens to many, many women. It can take years for abnormal cells to progress to cervical cancer so treating it now can stop it.

I'm no expert by any means and I am only passing on a bit of info that I learned. There are a few others here that seem to really know their stuff. If you wait a bit they will probably jump in and help with your questions about how fast it can progress. I do know that your immune system not being up to par, smoking, stress, not enough sleep and not eating properly can also affect the cells. HPV is a virus and by staying healthy you can help your body fight against it.

I hope I helped a little bit with your questions!

Willow

Old 08-20-2003, 06:14 AM   #6

lilsis2 HB User
Buttahroo,

My understanding is that the PAP smear only tells them that problematic cells are present, they cannot diagnose whether they are CIN 1, 2, 3, etc. Your doctor will need the coloscopy to determine where your cells fall in that spectrum.

I know, from my experience, you can't have a coloscopy while on your period, was that your situation? If so, that might explain the 3 week delay.

I am sorry you have to wait, and my thoughts are with you.

Closed Thread