It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #1

MrsKramden HB User
Post New Thread For LEEP & HPV

I am so thankful for all of the informative and beneficial posts on here about LEEP and HPV.

I have a question.My gynecologist seems to think that my CIN2 came from HPV, not from a decrease in estrogen or being exposed to D.E.S.

After my post LEEP exam, my gyne gave me my lab reports. It says -As requested, sample (from colposcopy) will be submitted for high/Int Risk HPV DNA probe testing.

Can the HPV stay in your body for years and than , years later cause an abnormal cervix ? I am really confused by this being a STD because I have been with one person for ten years, but prior to that, I did have several partners. I hadn't gone to the gyne for PAPs all those years, either. What should the male partner do ? Is there a way for them to be tested for HPV ? I have also read that condoms DO NOT aid in preventing HPV. Is HPV in the blood or in other bodily fluid ?

As you can see, I will be appreciative of any info. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
HPV usually lives in the skin. That is why condoms aren't that effective. With the strains that cause dysplasia, it lives in the cervix. I asked my doc if it goes into the spinal cord or nerves like other viruses and it doesn't seem like they really know for sure, but he said that it seems as though it just stays in the skin and that the blood flow to the cervix is low so the body doesn't fight it very quickly.

It seems that it can stay in your body for years before anything really happens or it can happen very quickly. That makes it really tough to know who you got it from by the time you realize you have it. If you had been in sooner, you may have had abnormal cells a few years ago because it usually progresses to CIN pretty slowly, but not always.

Did it say they were going to test for high risk HPV DNA or did it have results? If you have been with the same guy fr ten years, he probably has it, too. The chances of him having trouble with it seem pretty slim. Perhaps they can do the same digene test on men that they do on women. I'm not with anyone so I'm really not sure. If you have questions, ask your doc or have your guy ask his.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I was diagnosed with severe dysplasia (CIN III) but the prior year's pap came back normal. I always questioned how the dysplasia could have got that far along w/in one year's time. And the ob/gyn's say paps should be done once a year. I think they should be done once every 6 months just to be safe.

I am not quite sure if they linked my dysplasia to HPV. I read alot on HPV and it does say that not all HPV is sexually transmitted. I'm going to look back for the info and I'll give you guys the website.

Good luck.

PS - It's been 6 years since my LEEP and so far so good. The LEEP is highly effective in preventing reoccurrence.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:29 AM   #4

lilsis2 HB User
I think that my experiences can be helpful for some of you, and maybe someone can give me some advice. I was originally diagnosed with cervical dysplasia in 1998 (CIN 2), and underwent a colonoscopy and the LEEP/CONE procedure. I attended all follow up appointment, had "special" pap smears that were more "senistive" to any atypical cells, and 2 years post procedure I again was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia, CIN 3 this time. I had the Leep/Cone procedure in 2001 for the second time, and continued the 3 month/6 month follow ups for the next two years. This month was my two year anniversary of my second LEEP, and guess what - I have it again. I am going for my 3rd colonoscopy in two weeks to find out how bad it is this time.

Oddly enough, I could tell something was wrong this time. I was spotting between periods and having occasional shooting pains for the last two months.

My results indicate HPV, and no, I have only had 3 partners my entire life, (it just takes one!). So for those of you who are wondering if it will come back, I can tell you, it can, and for some of us, it will.

My question to you is - when do you say enough is enough and go for the hysterectomy? I am 25, and am scared that it may be cancer this time, since it seems to get progressively worse each reoccurrence. I trust my physician, and I have personally reviewed my lab results reports which show "normal" results for my previous paps.

I hope I helped someone, and I hope that someone can help me. Thank you.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Lilsis2

Hey girl, wow you have been through a hell of alot. I am 24 and had my LEEP done about 6 yrs. ago. I had severe dysplasia CIN III. I understand your fears 100%. Having a hysterectomy is a big issue you must weigh the pro's and con's - obviously if it means saving your life then you must do it. You won't be able to have children though, it's a hard choice. I have a friend here at work (she's well into her 40's though) who went for her hysterectomy b/c they detected 2 primary forms of cancer one in the uterus and the other in the ovaries. Upon going in for the hysterectomy they found that her whole vagina canal including her cervix was cancer ridden. They removed her uterus, ovaries, cervix and appendix. This was a very severe case and I don't mean to scare you .. you're young now and have a good understanding of what your risks are. So be strong and make the choice that you and your dr. feel is best. If you can avoid a more serious circumstance such as the one I just explained to you, then do so.

I'll be thinking of you and praying that all works out. If you need a friend you can e-mail me. Either way keep me posted on your status PLEASE. I'll be wishing for the best.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #6

lilsis2 HB User
Thanks for the reply, MicheyBell.

I will have my third colonscopy on the 11th of August, so until then I am simply frustrated that I am a "veteran" of cervical dysplasia/pre-cancer.

I have an intuition that it is CIN 3 or worse this time, and last time hysterectomy was brought up during my last procedure. My doctor believes that I am "too young" to consider it. But I come from a family with a strong history of cancer, (i.e. all of my maternal family members are deceased) and I don't want to deal with this every two years.

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know what happens.

[This message has been edited by lilsis2 (edited 08-01-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 08:16 AM   #7

MrsKramden HB User
My heart goes out to all of you who've posted in response.

I never wanted children, so it may be easy for me to talk, but when it comes to your health and your life and avoiding chemotherapy and radiation, a hysterectomy may not be all that bad in comparison. There are many unwanted chidren waiting to be adopted , also, and although it's not the same as bearing one's own, it is possible to "have" and raise children even if one cannot become pregnant.

I know it may be easy for me to just say that, though, as having children was never an issue for me. I do worry about hysterectomy - having to possibly take hormones (which I am not supposed to do) and other things worry me about the idea of having one...but in the end, you have to make a choice which provides a healthy solution for you so you can continue to live your life .

Old 08-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #8

shankav HB User
Unhappy

Hi
All of my paps were normal up until last year. Then it came as CIN III. Somehow the pathology lab my insurance uses lost my thin prep for 11 months. I didn't find out till June of this year. So I had the colposcopy, same results. My leep was done almost a month ago, along with an HPV test which of course came back positive. I have been married for 6 years. Made it through a twin pregnancy, and another pregnancy two years later. My husband had a vasectomy so more kids isn't an issue. My concern is going through this over and over. At what point do you say enough is enough? Uterus or cancer? How often does this recur in women?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:17 AM   #9

lilsis2 HB User
For me, since this is the third time, I am ready to consider hysterectomy versus repeating this cycle over and over again. Emotionally, it is too much for me to handle.

My "enough is enough" point? I guess I am waiting for my results to be "bad enough" before I have a hysterectomy. I just worry about the consequences of that decision down the road since I am only 25.

I suppose if the biopsy comes back CIN 3 or worse, my doctor will discuss this with me. We shall see what happens in the next month.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Lilsis- I'll keep you in my thoughts. Please keep me posted. And good luck.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:49 AM   #11

lilsis2 HB User
I'll let you know. Coloscopy/biopsy is 8/11. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 PM   #12

rubydolphin79 HB User
I too am young (24), and have had displaysia for the second time. I just had my second Leep done this past Friday. Everything went O.K., and they said that there sure they got it all. That is what they said last time! Hopefully it will not come back again, I would like to have kids someday... I wish you luck and will be thinking about you! I know how you are feeling..your not alone.. Take care & Keep us posted!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #13

av1975 HB User
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone had any more information regarding the repeat LEEP. i had one last year and my colpo just came back with dysplasia again.
i have heard that doing it more than once significantly increases your chances of pregnancy complications.
does anyone have any more advise? i know there really is nothing more to be done.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:19 PM   #14

lilsis2 HB User
Well I just found out my biopsy results. They revealed chronic cervicitis, which means I don't have to have the LEEP/CONE again, just take the antibiotics and report for another coloscopy in 6 weeks. They stated that the pathlogy report did not reveal any dysplasia.

So, I am very relieved! By the way, the biopsy was the most painful yet. I think that after repeat LEEPs the scar tissue is more senistive.

I will keep you posted on the status of my follow up tests!

Old 08-15-2003, 05:06 PM   #15

MrsKramden HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by lilsis2:
Well I just found out my biopsy results. They revealed chronic cervicitis, which means I don't have to have the LEEP/CONE again, just take the antibiotics and report for another coloscopy in 6 weeks. They stated that the pathlogy report did not reveal any dysplasia.

So, I am very relieved! By the way, the biopsy was the most painful yet. I think that after repeat LEEPs the scar tissue is more senistive.

I will keep you posted on the status of my follow up tests!
It's good to hear from you. lilsis, and thanks for letting us know ! Glad you're feeling fine.

Closed Thread