It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

cor0319 HB User
Question Question about recurring HPV

I was told about a year ago that I have HPV and am scheduled for my second colpo and first punch biopsy in the past year in two weeks. I was talking to a friend of mine about the HPV aspect of things and she was telling me that if I have the abnormal cells, or lesion removed that it would eventually keep coming back and keep causing problems until the HPV is out of my and my boyfriend's systems. We have been together for over three years and there has been no one else during that time, but I was told by my doc that some HPV strains can be dormant for over 10 years before they show up in any tests. So basically I don't know if my boyfriend even has anything to do with the HPV.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I don't know what to do about it because clearly condoms don't prevent HPV and my friend has really freaked me out about it coming back as long as my boyfriend and I continue to have sex.

I know that I should have the abnormal cells removed and I'm going to, but part of me feels like it's just going to be the beginning of a horrible cycle if it really does keep coming back.

Help?

Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

queenlilyan HB User
Re: Question about recurring HPV

Hello. I'm kind of in the same place. It's so weird I was going to post something of this nature when I read your post. I asked my doctor what I should be telling my boyfriend about this as we are having sex. Her response was nothing, he can't be affected by this because he doesn't have a cervix to attact. So, I'm thinking that what if in the future he has sex with someone else. Is going to give her HPV and cause all the **** I've been through?? Will this work out or our systems?? What?? It is all so vague and evasive. I'm calling my doc Wed to get a more clear answer. I'll post when I get an answer ( if I get a clear one).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

HPV was dormant in my system for at least 12 years (I had been with my husband that long before it caused an abnormal pap). As I understand it you (and your boyfriend) will always have hpv. In a good majority of people their immune systems will supress it and won't even know they have it. But it will always be in your body. As long as you both are monogamus you cannot re-infect each other. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and keep your immune system up. When your immune system is down it gives the HPV a chance to react. In my case I had mild dysplasia that cleared on it's own. I have had two normal paps since. Hopefully it won't return but there is a chance that it will.

queenlilyan, yes your boyfriend would give it to other people in the future. Even though it does not (usually) cause symtoms in men they can still transmit it!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

It can also affect men even though they dont have a cervix. sounds to me like your doctor doesn't know that much about HPV. coRo do you and your boyfriend use condoms every time? because my theory is that if you dont have the wart strain that using condoms can help prevent HPV. I think HPV is so confusing. I have mild dysplasia and had a LEEP. My doctor told me to use condoms. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 yrs so i dont even know if he gave me HPV since it can lay dormant in your system for years. I am going to use condoms for now on with my boyfriend. although it is said that the two of us cant re-infect one and other i am trying to do whatever i can so that the HPV does not come back.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User

If you and your boyfriend/husband are sharing the same strain(s)... You CANNOT reinfect yourself the way herpes are.

But if anyone of you two go are unfaithful to one another you have a chance of picking up other strains and giving it to each other... Which may cause your HPV to react again.

Last edited by cocoeyes; 02-07-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

cor0319 HB User

Thank you so much for the info., it really calmed me down. You really helped me out. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

phaedrus HB User

I had HPV that was dormant for two years. My doctor, as far as I know, did no more than a visual test, told me they were for life and treatment was pointless (after I had already recieved six or so painful freezings- What a pinhead). I thought condoms can prevent them, but by the time I found out, my husband and I had already had unprotected sex. He knows, and so should your boyfriend. Anyone who transmits any disease to anyone whether it will be a big deal health wise or not should let that person know on moral principal. And my dr also said it can potentially (though rarely) cause harm to unborn babies, if you guys break up, he goes on to have a baby with someone else, the mother and baby would both be at risk. Not fair. I am starting to realize how many of us really do have pinhead doctors. Anyway, I am sure you guys won't break up. That being said, I think bonk away! if you guys are already both carrying a permanent strain, I personally don't see how it makes any difference. And if it isn't permanent, wouldn't you have to catch a different strain from someone else, as your bodies would eventually build up immunity to it? That's just a guess though.
I guess the key is to have your boyfriend tested. And heck, if this doc makes no sense, keep trying till you find one that does, that's what I am gonna do...

Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

Phaedrus,

what kind of tests are there for Males and HVP. do you and your husband now wear condoms? or does it not matter because you both have the same strain?

Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
(female)

phaedrus HB User

SLJ16,
My husband never got tested as the info I had been given at the time was that it was permanent, figured what's the point (also the reason we don't use condoms). That was before reading these boards and learning more about it. I spoke to husband this evening about it, and I will be asking my doc when I see him Tues about myself getting a proper test, and one for hubby. As for what tests they do, I copied and pasted this from a medical site:

HPV and Men

Symptoms
Growths or bumps that appear on the penis, scrotum, or groin
Unusual itching, pain or bleeding
Sometimes HPV causes tiny changes on the skin that can't be seen with the naked eye - this is called subclinical HPV infection
HPV can also live in the skin without causing any warts or other skin changes - this is called latent HPV infection
Subclinical and latent HPV infection are more common than visible genital warts.

Treatment
Prescription topical ointments, freezing off the warts with liquid nitrogen, intense laser light therapy, surgery to cut off the warts
None of the treatments listed above is a cure for HPV. The virus can remain in nearby skin even after treatment.

Testing
For men, the testing involves a visual exam if there are obvious lesions, or an acetic acid wrap that is done by a health care provider.

For the record, after I had my HPV flare up 8 years ago and realised I had it, after the warts disappeared (after my immune system was back up and running about a year after the baby was born), I didn't have them flare up again till now. I have no idea if this is because I was reinfected, or whether (as I suspect), it was the same permanent strain just manifesting itself. I will let you know what I find out....

Old 02-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

Incubation period for hpv- 2 wks to 8 mths. (Avr. 3 mths.)

Closed Thread