It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 12:19 AM   #1

kwhale HB User
Post Sex After HPV and Colposcopy/Biopsy

Hello. First, much love to Panik and Reze and Willow. I've really enjoyed reading your responses. I just posted a long message and it was erased because as a new member I typed the wrong password. Bummer.

I just had my biopsy. Have 'moderate dysplasia with a High-grade SIL CIN II'. Going to meet w/doc in two weeks for further treatment. Do you recommend the LEEP over laser?

Also, can you ever have unprotected sex again with your partner after having HPV? Does your body become immune to HPV after the surgery? And, if men don't show symptoms of HPV does it matter if you use condoms with them? (I don't have the ******d symptoms of HPV.)
I am extremely cautious and careful about sex in my adult years but in my teen years...that's a different story and that's what has led me to these choices.

And, lastly, have you felt different about sex after having these procedures? Does the invasive/surgical feeling disappear?

Thanks so much.

Old 09-27-2003, 12:28 AM   #2

kwhale HB User
sorry for the reply to my own mail but for some reason the bleeped out the word '******d' as in ******d symptoms. is that a new swear word?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #3

kwhale HB User
try again. out word. does that work?

Old 09-27-2003, 06:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thanks so much for writing! SOrry you had so much trouble. I never understand why some words get bleeped, especially when they are words I would like to see. I haven't had a prtner for what seems like years. And, with all of my problems, it has been tough to go out and look for one. I do know a lot about HPV if that day ever comes and I imagine it takes some time and some effort to feel sexual again. If you don't feel ready, please don't do it.

Now, about HPV. You don't show any "ow" signs of it - I am assumign you are referring to warts, because differents strains cause warts all over the body and a few other ones cause dysplasia. It is tough to say if you will be contagious forever or if your partner would ever have any trouble with this strain. It is rare for men to have symptoms of these strains. If it is the same partner as before, he probably alrady has it. If it is a new partner, your should explain to him that using protection may help, but any of his skin that is exposed to your skin can become infected. It does not live in fluid so a condom won't help much, but it may help.

Sorry, I know that's not much consolation, but it's true.

I had the LEEP and I had the choice of that or cryo. I chose the LEEP because the tissue is actually removed, not burned, and they can usually send it to the lab for further testing. I think the recovery and risks for all three are pretty much the same. You should ask your doctor which one s/he is most comfortable with in your case.

I'm going to try to leave my house today. I'll be back later, so please ask any questions if anything I have written is unclear.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Hi!

It's so sweet of you to say you enjoyed reading the posts! I too had a problem with a post before. Now I open an email, type what I want, then copy and paste it into the reply box. That way if something goes wonky I can just copy and paste it again. Works good for me!

I don't know which option of treatment is better. In my case, my doc told me (when I had laser) that the treatment depends on how bad the dysplasia is and where it is. I didn't make the choice, he made it for me. I go back in just over two weeks for my three month follow up and if things haven't gotten better, I am going to ask for a LEEP. I do know that the laser is not as invasive as the LEEP and there is less bleeding and recovery time but like I said, I think it really depends on how bad the dysplasia is, where it is and how deep it is in the cervix.

I agree with PaNik (damn you're smart girl!) in that if you still have the same partner, chances are he already has it. Any new partner should be told and a condom should be used. It might not prevent a new partner from getting infected but the chances of him getting infected are somewhat reduced. There's a lot of controversy about whether your body can fight off the virus and you can be virus free. I don't know for sure whether it can or not so I do whatever I can to boost my immune system. I'm sure your doc will have a recommendation on which treatment he/she thinks will be better suited to your personal case.

I waited about four weeks after my laser surgery to have sex. I was a little worried that there might be some pain but we took it slowly and it wasn't a problem. I think that before I found out I had dysplasia I felt apprehensive and avoided sex because many times it would be a bit painful and I would bleed. I had no idea that I had dysplasia but I felt that something just wasn't right. Since I have had the treatment I do not bleed after sex and I do not feel the same apprehensive feelings.

For me, the invasive feeling went away after about two weeks. At that point I felt that I had healed (not fully) but that things were back to normal. I felt like I was getting back to my old self and didn't feel like I was still "in recovery" so to speak.

Hopefully some of this helped and if you have any more questions the fire away. We'll answer what we can.

Willow

Old 09-27-2003, 09:39 AM   #6

kwhale HB User
Thanks so much Panik and Willow. I woke up feeling a bit nervous this morning (just of the unknown results of this) and now am breathing easier after reading your responses. It is such a treat to have support in ways you never expect.

Anyway, I do have another question. I read that it can take a few years before cancer really sets in in your body (if left untreated). That said, have you heard of any women who have healed themselves, or at least decreased the dysplasia from 'moderate' to 'mild'? (For ex, someone wrote about "Temple of Heaven" tea) If one does have 'moderate dysplasia' (as I do) why do we have to go so quickly into a procedure?

When I was diagnosed as 'mild dysplasia' we waited another 6 mos and now I'm more advanced. Unfortuately, though, I didn't even understand what the 'MD' diagnosis was as my doctor just brushed it off saying most women's bodies just purge themselves of this. If I had really understood I would have meditated more on that section of my body, rec'd accupuncture, taken herbs, etc. Have you tried these alternative routes? Anyway, sorry for the novel. Thoughts?

Much love,

Old 09-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi again, kwhale,

Just to answer your question to the best of my ability. I had my first abnormal pap and got a long lecture about the high percentages of women that have one abnormal one and then it resolves itself within the first year. That time, it did. Then, I ended up abnormal again this year and got the same lecture about how many women get better and how many progress and how long it takes for it to turn to invasive cancer. I'm sure you can look up abnormal paps or dysplasia and find the exact statistics.

The story seems to change when it goes from simply atypical or mild to moderate or severe. The percentages change a lot. The time frame is still supposed to be slow, but it is less likely that it will go back to normal without help. That isn't to say that nothing natural can be done. It's just that the odds aren't in our favor once it has already begun to progress.

Do all of those wonderful things you mention and teach us what you know and learn. Sending positive energy that way should at least help your sexual recovery! And, the surgeries don't do it all all the time. Your body still has to heal after, so you should do what you can to help it.

Nik

P.S. Sorry for all of the typos this morning.

Old 09-27-2003, 07:25 PM   #8

kwhale HB User
Thanks very much Nik. I may put off any sort of procedure for a few months and see what happens with alternative methods. I'll definitely keep you posted. All the best,

Karrie

Closed Thread