It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
Inactive

ariela HB User
Question Dysplasia, CIN2, HPV, and LEEP procedure

Hi everyone... I hope I can get some comments on this...

For the past year, I have had several abnormal pap smears. But on the last one, my doctor decided to do a biopsy, which showed moderate dysplasia (CIN2). I also came back positive and at "high risk" on the HPV test.

I am going to have a LEEP procedure at the end of March.

I am not too worried about the procedure, since I will be "sleeping"...

But I would like to know what happens next, other than all the regular check-ups.

Are women usually "cured" after that? Or do they keep getting dysplasia and they have to have more parts of their cervix removed?

What about men? I have done a lot of searching on this topic and I can't find very much information on men with HPV... since I am married, I am a little concerned on that too.

Thanks for your comments...

Anything else I should know... I'm interested too.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
I see no one has answered your question, but there are some active threads for LEEP here, so maybe you should jump into those. Sorry I cannot help; I know nothing about the procedure aside from what I have read here. This will also bump this to the top, so others may see it...
wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
Inactive

ariela HB User
Thank you. I have seen the other postings, but they talk about a slightly different dysplasia. I have taken part of these postings too, but I wanted to know if there was someone with the same type (CIN2 and CIN3) with high risk HPV.

Plus, I still cannot find much info on HPV and men.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 AM   #4

MrsJ HB User
I myself just had the leep procedure done yesterday. I had the colposopy (?) done and now I had to have the leep procedure done. I was very nervous going in, especially with all I have read about it. I hope I can ease some people's worries with this.
My doctor froze my cervix to do the procedure, and I never felt a thing. I could feel her moving the instruments around, and yes the machine does make noises, but as far as pain - I did not have any. There was a small faint odor, but nothing like what I kept seeing be described in different readings. She had to take out two samples from my cervix, and I honestly was fine during the whole thing. Once the procedure was over, I felt fine, and I still feel fine today.
I hope this helps answers other people's questions who are due to have this done, and I'll check back to see if anyone has any questions that maybe I can answer.
Good luck with everyone else's test

Old 03-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #5

Copsdoll HB User
Hi, I'm new to this board but I thought I might be able to help you out. I went throught/am going through exactly what you are. I was glad to see I'm not alone, what a relief! I am married and was recently diagnosed with HPV high risk and moderate dysplasia. (sorry about spelling) I went through a leep procedure almost 2 weeks ago and am going back for my post op visit this Thurs. The leep was not bad. I was wide awake but took some Bextra anti inflammatory medicine prior to the procedure. It was over with fairly quickly and I didn't have any trouble after that procedure, except I'm still having a lot of discharge. The worse part of the procedure was the numbing shot, but it was over quickly too. I hated being told I had an "STD". I have never had any sign of warts, but it still made me feel icky. My dr. told me that men who have this hardly ever show signs of it, so it's not as widely known as it is for women. I am scared to go back for my post op visit for fear something else is wrong, but I have faith. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more help!

Old 03-16-2003, 01:03 PM   #6

Copsdoll HB User
Smile

Sorry to post again, wanted to add a PS.

My doctor told me that usually the LEEP procedure takes care of the problem, though you are never "cured" of the HPV. As long as you limit the number of sexual partners, you shouldn't have any more problems with abnormal paps. She also told me that if you have HPV, then you husband has it and has the same kind you do. Apparently there are tons of different kinds out there. And once you get a certain "type" you can't get it again. But if you have another partner who has another type, he can give you that type. My doctor basically told me though that this procedure normally takes care of things and you shouldn't have any more abnormal paps. But she has me coming back every 3 months for a year to keep an eye on it. For those not married, if you have more than one sexual partner, my dr. told me to always use a condom and that reduces the risk of the dysplasia coming back....Hope this helps some more!

Old 03-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #7

MrsJ HB User
Smile

Glad I could be of some help. My recover so far has gone just fine. I have had some discharge, but my doctor told me I would. Other then that, everything is as normal with me as it was before the procedure. Good luck to you with your's

Old 04-04-2003, 04:04 AM   #8

islndgirl920 HB User
Ariela

I too have had a recent pap and it came back as AGUS. I had colpo, ecc and a few other of the fun stuff they do. It came back with CIN II so my doctor did a Leep procedure. She gave me a valium to take prior and I did not feel a thing. The after effects aren't great. A lot of watery discharge for a few weeks. Well those results came back and shows that it's further up cervical canal and a CIN III. I just went yesterday for another ECC and if that shows something, then she will do a conization. Basically I've been told if the ECC comes back showing nothing, my doctor will followup with me every 2 months with Colop, ECC and so on until all shows clear. I have a hard time feeling that it will at this point. I'm ready to get this all out of me for fear that it's traveling elsewhere. I'm 38 and have 3 kids. Just a word of advise to everyone. I had a tubal over 5 years ago and after that I didn't go back for a pap until now and look what happens. Always go for your yearly checkup.

------------------
Julie

Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #9

sunshinedaisy1 HB User
Can anyone tell me if the Leep procedure is considered a minor surgery or not? I am scheduled to have one on April 25th this year. I have 1 area that is considered moderate to severe dysplasia. Also if it is considered moderate to severe then what would this be called and what is the stage between the two. Should I be worried that is has already turned to carcinoma in situ?

[This message has been edited by sunshinedaisy1 (edited 04-04-2003).]

Old 04-05-2003, 08:01 AM   #10

MrsJ HB User
Smile

Good luck to you Julie, and God Bless. Hope everything turns out well for you.

Old 04-05-2003, 09:31 AM   #11

islndgirl920 HB User
Thanks, MrsJ. I've read and read and read more on this and looked at what others are saying. Having my 2nd ECC done this past week and a LEEP already done, I'm now waiting on work of a conization next. I think however, I will ask to be refered to a gyne/oncologist for a 2nd opinion. I hate to think of having a cone done and then find out it's still not taken care of. At 38 with 3 kids and a tubal, why not just do a hysterectomy and be done with it. Anyone else feel this way or has there been anyone who didn't do the conization and had hysterectomy done instead??? This site has been great. Thanks to all.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #12

myshell_32 HB User
sunshinedaisy, leep is surgery, they call it a procedure. I had mine done on an outpaitent basis, my dr. encouraged me to have anesthesia, but i've read where alot of women don't. i was happy to be out of it if you ask me. good luck with your LEEP, i'm having a hysterectomy the same day. i was diagnosed with CIN III severe dysplasia, carcinoma in situ. i was referred to a gynocologist oncoligist, she said it's not cancer yet, but we have to remove the cells, leep was not enough for me, i was faced with either conization which is a bit more extensive than leep or hysterectomy, i opted for the hysterectomy.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #13

Elysian HB User
Sunshinedaisy--
I had the same sort of diagnosis...1 section of my cervix was minor dysplasia and another was moderate to severe dysplasia. i chose to go to a Gyn/Oncologist just because I wasn't satisfied with my doctor's answers to my many many questions. He reassured me that the LEEP was the best way to go. After the Leep, he would send the tissues to the lab for further testing. As long as there appeared to be no abnormal cells along the edges of the tissue or at what would have been the cervical canal, then I could feel confident that all of the cells had been removed. Good luck with your procedure...a lot of us have been there too. Let us know how everything goes.

Old 04-16-2003, 03:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
32, You are wise to have the Hysterectomy.
I had a Cone done and I still had the Hysterectomy several years later and the return hysterectomy pathology showed chronic cervixitis.
You may also want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of having a gel barrier on hand just incase they run into adhesions while in your pelvis.
As with so many of these problems adhesions are almost always a consideration they don't address unless they are thinking ahead. The gel barrier helps to cut down on the possibility of adhesion regrowth if adhesions are found. My Hysterectomy surgeon did not use an adhesion barrier for my surgery and I had to have more adhesions removed less than a year after the hysterectomy.
kat

Old 04-18-2003, 12:30 PM   #15

f1nzleft HB User
I had the LEEP procedure done 10 days ago. I had it done as an out-patient, general anesthesia. No bleeding at all, no discharge at all. I had some cramping afterwards for about 2 days, but the pain killers did their job. My question is this: on schedule, i got my period 8 days after the LEEP. I am on the pill, so my prds are very very light. Except this time. This time it is very very heavy. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

Closed Thread