It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
(male)

dcaptain HB User
HPV question

I have a question about how a genital wart itself feels when you press against it. Not how it feels on your finger, but how it itself feels. Is it as sensitive as normal skin, or less sensitive, like a hand wart?

For example, when you press against a wart on your hand, it doesn't feel like skin is being touched in the same way as if you press against the skin right next to it. Your skin is more sensitive. Is it the same with a genital wart? I guess what I'm wondering is if you press against a genital wart, is the wart itself somewhat desensitized, or would it feel the pressing of your finger, just like normal skin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

kds1976 HB User
Re: HPV question

hey dcaptain,

Generally, genital warts aren't significantly more sensitive than regular warts when you press on them. However, because they are in more sensitive areas, you'll probably feel them a bit more acutely than you would pressing on a wart on your hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
(male)

dcaptain HB User

Hey KDS1976 - thanks! If I'm understanding you correctly, a genital wart would sense touch probably a bit more than a hand wart, but a bit less than normal skin?

Sorry, I realize this is a somewhat bizarre question.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

M&Mgirl HB User

hiya dcaptain,
I think what kds1976 was trying to say is that genital warts may seem more sensitive to touch than hand or regular skin warts just because of the area they are in--more nerves down there! But the bumps themselves aren't (to kds) significantly more sensitive simply by nature of being a genital wart.

To me, it does feel a little more sore when I press on a GW than when I press on a regular hand/skin wart. Not lots, but some.

Hope I'm not confusing you even more!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
(male)

dcaptain HB User

Thanks M&Mgirl! (Again, I realize that's a really strange question.) Just trying to figure out if a bump is or isn't youknowwhat before getting into the doc's office. It doesn't seem to sense touch any differently than normal skin, so it's really hard to tell.

I appreciate the input - thank you again.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

M&Mgirl HB User

Of course, dcaptain! Good luck. I hope it isn't, but if it is, don't panic. Mine have been really easy to take care of. I was diagnosed two years ago and since the initial outbreak, have only had them again once.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
(male)

dcaptain HB User

Thanks for the kind thoughts and for your help. Best to you too!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaptain
Just trying to figure out if a bump is or isn't youknowwhat before getting into the doc's office.
This is really not a good method to try and figure out whether or not you have genital warts. It would really be best to just have a doc look at it. It can be difficult for a layperson to figure out what is and is not genital warts.

Even if it warts, they really aren't the end of the world.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
(male)

dcaptain HB User

Thanks Analogue. You're right, it definitely isn't the best method and I am going in to see the doc. Am just trying to figure it out between now and then, if at all possible. Something as soft and as sensitive as normal skin wouldn't *seem* like a wart, but who knows. Just trying to calm my nerves.

Anyways, best to you. Thanks again.

Closed Thread