It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

healthnut76 HB User
HPV- can it resolve itself?

i want to know if you have had HPV with no symptoms- can it go away on it's own and never come back and not spread to anyone else or will u always have it? also why don't they seem to test men for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
(female)

Georgina27 HB User
Re: HPV- can it resolve itself?

Healthnut, I am looking for the same exact answers!

After having a colposcopy last month (ouch! ) I was diagnosed with HVP, the "invisible" kind that only shows up in women. I have to go to the doc again tomorrow to have a freezing procedure done on my cervix to remove the precancerous cells .

Tomorrow I am going to ask my OBGYN the exact same questions that you posted and I will let you know tomorrow night what she says. I know we aren't the only ones who don't understand this HVP stuff either ... my boyfriend is more freaked out than I am! It's hard for him to comprehend that he could be carrying an invisible, undetected disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

Once you have contracted HPV you have it for the rest of your life, however the disease is able to go dormant in your body and not show up on your papsmears, you are still able to transfer the disease to someone else for the rest of your life as far as males there is no test for them right now to determine HPV the only way they know is through a female telling them or an actual outbreak

Old 03-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
(female)

ladivapr00 HB User

healthnut you got to read about the topic, my gyn has lot of info about HPV posted in her website. As justawondering said you will have the virus for the rest of your life. Your inmune system will learn to supress the virus over time causing you no more problems.YOu have to know that there is different starnds of this virus. Some cause warts, some don't. Some are high risk for cervical cancer, some don't. If you have had sex with more than one person you cann't blame on your current sexual partner as this virus can go latent for many years before it shows up in a pap test. I was diagnosed too with the virus and when the doctor did colposcopy everything looked fine so I don't need a freezing or anything. In six months i will go other pap and see how it looks. If it comes negative then means my body got it supressed, that's when this is referred as the virus going on it's own. This doesnt mean the virus is gone like that but that the precence of it doesnt affect the normal cell function.

Don't worry about it. As long as you get checked you will have no problems.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

Georgina27 HB User

Healthnut,

I went to my doctor today for my cryosurgery and I told you I'd get back with you after I asked her those questions.

If you test positive for the virus, then you will always be a carrier. There are different strains of the virus, some being high risk (the "invisible" kind that causes precancerous cells) and some being low risk (warts).

It is definitely possible to be a carrier of the virus and to not show any symptoms at all. The virus can lie dormant. example: A woman in her 20's could be a carrier but not know it until dysplasia showed up in her pap when she was 40.

And as far as boys, the reason they don't get tested is because you can't test for HPV with a blood test. And if the urologist doesn't see anything on their penis (like lesions or warts) then he doesn't do any further testing. But I am STILL confused about whether there is or isn't a definitive test for men to show if they are carriers of the "invisible" virus . . .

Old 03-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

ladivapr00 HB User

there is one question i do have about cryosurgery...I have readed in my gyn's website that one you go under cryosurgery if you test abnormal in the future a colposcopy won't work well to see the dysplasia. Does anybody have feedback on this? This is of my concern because what if you get frozen, then get a new sexual partner that has a different strand of HPV for which you are obviously not inmune and your pap shows abnormal again and then the doctor wont be able to tell much with a colsposcopy? If anybody is going to the gyn soon please ask them this question from me okay.

Closed Thread