It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
(male)

zap123 HB User
Question Girlfriend told me she has HPV. What should I do?

Well my girlfriend went to gyo and she had abnormal pap smear. Well I noticed that I have three red bumps one on my shaft of my penis. One on both sides of my scrtum. They look like pimples but I canít tell what they are. Well I went to urologist they said it looks like pimples but he didnít have any swabs to do a herps test. Where should I go to get this checked out? I know if I have hpv there is no test for men but what can I do to see if these is herps or something else? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User
Re: Girlfriend told me she has HPV. What should I do?

how come an urologist wont have any swabs for herpes test?

Have in mind HPV is not the same as herpes. There is no test in men for HPV the one that cause abnormal paps but if you see the warts in your penis/scrotum then it is formerly diagnosed HPV in men. YOu seem to be in the clear if your doctor told you its only pimples. But you are carrier of the HPV cervical type=which doesnt cause warts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
(male)

Muscn HB User

You left out some details. Did your girlfriend actually say she had it, or was it just an abnormal pap smear? An abnormal pap doesnt mean she has it.

If your urologist doesnt have something to test for stds, then you need to find a new urologist. Thats kind of silly that he wouldnt have the equipment needed for something like that.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
(male)

zap123 HB User

I agree it was silly. Well they said she had a abnormal pap smear. They gave her a paper talking about HPV. I am thinking about going back to another urologist to get this checked out to just be safe because I am getting scaryed because if it. Could it be pimples or std? I hate that they don't have enough information on hpv.. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

bellestarr1814 HB User

Abnormal pap smears are almost ALWAYS caused by HPV. There are two ways HPV can manifest: through warts or through cervical lesions. If you have the type that causes lesions, there is nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately, HPV can be spread through fairly casual sexual contact, that is, you can wear a condom and still transmit it because the virus can live on the skin around the genitals.

I just had my first clear pap smear in 3 years. Luckily, most types of HPV eventually become dormant. Others can lead to cancer.

Go to the health dept and get checked out for everything.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
(male)

zap123 HB User

Thinking about going to another urologist..

Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Most abnormal smears are labled ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of unidentified significance) and are usually caused by an infection or inflammation in the vagina. This has nothing to do with HPV.

Its only when you get more serious abnormalities that are pre-cancer related that you can be almost positive that you have HPV.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
(male)

zap123 HB User

I am hoping that is what it was. I am not sure where to go get tested and what for. I already went to a urologist and he just acted dumb. He said that my things looked like zits but they are hard to detect. I just want to make sure that I don't have anything. I have already took the normal STD test and it came out ok. One thing that I heard that can cause a abnormal pap smear is that she smokes and also has very high stress. They said that these could turn into pre cancers cells and they gave her a paper on HPV. Well thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #9
(male)

GhostAston HB User

malibu82 is right, abnormal paps are not always caused by HPV. Wait to see if your girlfriend is actually diagnosed with HPV before worrying about it. In the meantime, I would definitely see a new doctor. I've never heard of a doctor not having the proper supplies in his office. You should try to find someone a little more responsible and reputable.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
(male)

zap123 HB User
Question Re: Girlfriend told me she has HPV. What should I do?

Well that is one problem me and her broke up. I think she had HPV but how will it affect me? I have couple of pimples down there but they come and go. I have popped them before. They don't look like any pictures of herpes that I have seen on the net. I am not sure if I should go to a normal doctor to get checked or a urologist? I am just not sure what to do know. Anyone has any suggestions feel free to offer. Thanks

Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
(male)

eroseber HB User

LOL. I don't think anyone knows what HPV is in here and the fact you can find out if you have them. SO here goes....

One of the most common infections in the world is caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), commonly known as the warts virus. It is a microscopic virus particle that infects the skin, causing warts or genital warts.

The warts appear as single bumps or in clusters some having a cauliflower structure. There are many strains or types of the HPV (warts) virus. Some warts grow on the body such as a Flat Wart. Others grow on the hands, the Plantar Wart ( or planter wart ) grows under the feet. The warts virus is also found in the genital area (Genital Warts) including in and around the anus, vagina, and penis.

Certain wart types and in particular, type 16 and 33 (genital warts strain) are associated with more serious changes in the skin that may lead to cancer. Studies have shown a close link between Genital Warts and cancer of the cervix.

Unlike the herpes virus which travels into the nerve cells, HPV is localized in the skin. However, many HPV infections are invisible. This means that the virus has altered the DNA structure of the cell but shows no visible signs on the skin. Millions of people are unaware that they have HPV because they do not have warts, only a medical sampling of the skin will determine if the virus is prevalent.

The strains of the virus include - Common Warts that usually grow on the hands, often affecting children, Planter Warts ( or plantar wart ) which grow under or on the feet and can be very painful, Flat Warts that grow in large numbers or clusters and Genital Warts.

The reason Genital warts are so contagious is because it can contain the skin disease Molluscum Contagiosum Virus(MCV). Molluscum contagiosum can be sexually transmitted by skin-to-skin contact (does not have to be mucous membranes) and/or lesions. Transmission through sexual contact is the most common form of transmission for adults. Genital Warts are extremely contagious because of this. The incubation period averages 2 to 3 months and may range from 1 week to 6 months. In other words, you may not know you have them for that long until the visible signs appear as described above. MCV is treatable many ways. It's the HPV that keeps your body from riding the virus. Again, research and you will find out many answers and "alternative" and less expensive methods to treat your own health versus paying a lot of money to freeze off a wart.

This is the easiest way to explain and save your research time. Hope this helps everyone who is clearly misinformed on what HPV really is and why it's so contagious.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
(female)

MERZEE HB User

There are 2 types of HPV's. One is considered high risk. That's when your pap smears come back abnormal which indicates you have developed pre-cancerous cells in the cervix which can eventually turn into cancer if not monitered. The other is low risk. This one causes genital warts. You cannot have both, it's either or. But trust me, if her pap came back abnormal, she has HPV for sure. This is the only reason why a pap would come back abnormal. About your issue, it might not be low risk HPV but another type of STD. Get checked immedietely! But just FYI, men are the carriers of HPV and don't even know it. It does not affect them in any way, unless they have genital warts of course, and they will for sure keep passing it on to whoever they sleep with. Have your past girlfriends had abnormal paps? You should find out. Just so you could know. But there's really no cure that I know of...

Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #13

kristina4752 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERZEE
There are 2 types of HPV's. One is considered high risk. That's when your pap smears come back abnormal which indicates you have developed pre-cancerous cells in the cervix which can eventually turn into cancer if not monitered. The other is low risk. This one causes genital warts. You cannot have both, it's either or. But trust me, if her pap came back abnormal, she has HPV for sure. This is the only reason why a pap would come back abnormal.
There are 2 main types of HPV's, one causes warts and one causes cervical cell changes. There are over 90 different strands of hpv - some cause warts, some cause cervical dysplasia(cell changes) that can lead to cancer, and some can cause both(but they are rare). It is very possible to carry both types of HPV. If you sleep with someone who has a strand that causes warts, and also sleep with someone that has the strand that causes dysplasia..you have been exposed to both and can pass both on to others. The most common type of HPV is a strand that causes dysplasia - which only effects females except in very rare rare occasions of penis dysplasia. High risk HPV means you carry a strand that is at a higher risk for developing cancer. Not all types of dyslasia hpv are high risk. It all goes by the number of the strand.

There are other reasons for pap smears to come back abnormal then just hpv. Inflamation (cervicitis), infections such as yeast, and your period can all trigger abnormal pap smears. The only way to be positively sure you have hpv is for the dr to order a hpv dna test if your pap comes back abnormal. That test will tell you the exact strand of hpv that you carry.

Chances are his girlfriend has the hpv strand that causes cell changes, and the only effect he will have is passing this on to other girls. Although chances are that if he has sex with anyone who has slept with anyone other then a virgin the girl already has it.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

No offence eroseber, but there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who know perfectly well what HPV is and the implications of it.

Also, the two most high risk strains of HPV are thought not to be the ones that produce genital warts, as you had said.
The risk is that it is possible to be infected with more than one HPV strain at the one time, so someone with genital warts may or may not have another strain of the virus.

Closed Thread