It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #1

bostonbeth HB User
Persistent dysplasia - no HPV

Hello -

I'm 25 and began having abnormal paps 1.5 years ago. Since my first abnormal pap, my doctor has done 6 paps, all which came back with very low dysplasia.

After the results of my first abnormal pap, my doctor tested me for HPV, since HPV is a major cause of dysplasia. It came back negative. She took a biopsy of cervical tissue which also came back negative. Two months later I was seen again. Again, dysplasia was present, she ran a HPV test and biopsied and both returned negative. Two months afterwards she tested and biopsied a third time, with the same results. A full STD check was also done, with all negative results. Since all 3 HPV tests were negative, she ruled out HPV, which is said to cause dysplasia in 95% of cases.

This morning I went back in for a checkup, had a pap and a colpo. The dysplasia region was still present, although low grade again. She took a fourth biopsy just to be safe. So, in 1.5 years I have had 6 paps, 4 biopsies and 3 HPV tests - and everything has been negative, though the mild dysplasia is still present. I asked her what could be causing the dysplasia and she said she didn't know - it could be a genetic thing or something else. She said that I could have the legion removed but it was up to me to decide. Since I don't have a disease and nothing is spreading or complicating, or causing problems, why have a surgical procedure that could potentatially cause fertility issues? My doctor said we could discuss it further once my lab results come back.

So my question is - has anyone else experienced this? It's persistent but a cause cannot be found. I trust my doctor and know if I were at risk she'd advise me correctly - but should I be concerned? Or seek a second opinion?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: Persistent dysplasia - no HPV

I also have mild dysplasia......no HPV. My doctor told me we would just do colposcopies and biopsies every six months until two in a row come out clear. I'm past child bearing years, so that is not an issue, but I see no reason to have the lesion removed unless it worsens. I am more afraid of the cure, than the cause! I should add that my pap smear came back normal.....the only reason I had the colposcopy and biopsies in the first place was because my cervix is misshapen.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User
Re: Persistent dysplasia - no HPV

boston and why the doctor hasnt freezed yet?

Closed Thread