It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
(male)

bunnyb HB User
How can I get tested for HPV?

I am a 22 year old male. I got chlamydia from a girl about three weeks ago and it's gone now, but I am still nervous about other STD's now and have educated myself about them. I am kind of nerbous about HPV and I wanted to get tested for it since it is so common now days. Is there any way a male can get tested for it just to give an ease of mind even though they don't have any symptoms or anything? The girl that I got chlamydia from went to the health clinic and they drew two tubes of blood to test her for "other" STD's just to be safe but will they tell her which ones they tested for? And do yall think she will be tested for HPV from the blood they drew? Thanks a lot.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User
Re: How can I get tested for HPV?

Unfortunately the only way to tell if a man has HPV is if he has visible genital warts. For men HPV doesn't carry the same risks that it does in women (the possibility of cell changes that can lead to pre-cancerous or cancerous cells in the cervix) so I wouldn't really worry myself.
I don't know where you are from but in Scotland where I live they don't test for HPV the way they do for all other STD's, so there is a good chance that she will not know.
That's why it's important for women to get their smear tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #3

nkok_nito HB User

the best way to test for anything std is thru blood work blood work blood work . hpv.hiv.hsv, all of it just get your blood drawn for each and everything you can think of.... be safe nito

Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
(male)

bunnyb HB User

I thought there wan't any way as of yet to test a male for HPV? Not even in blood work?

Old 04-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

There are blood tests for HPV, but they are not widely available, they are not usually used, and they can be very inaccurate. It is probably not necessary for you, as a male, to consider this type of testing. Considering that up to 80% of sexually active adults have HPV, you are most likely infected. HPV does not have the same risks for men as for women.

Also, blood work is not the best way to get tested for many STDs. The "gold standard" in herpes testing is a swab test. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are also usually tested by swab culture or urine.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
(male)

bunnyb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog2000
Considering that up to 80% of sexually active adults have HPV, you are most likely infected.
Ok, now you got me nervous with that statement. Do you just figure everybody has it because they say that 80% of sexually active adults have it? I know that a lot do, but that is just an "estimate" so the only real way to know is to get tested.

I have had sex with 4 girls in my life. Two were only one time and I used a condom with both. The other one was my ex gf of two years and I know she was clean from because she had just recently had a baby and they tested her for EVERY STD in the book and they all came out negative. The last girl was the one three weeks ago in Florida who I had sex with 3 times (once protected and two unprotected). Now this girl will be getting tested for HPV because I asked her to just to ease my mine. So the only one I am really worried about is the last one. Do you still think I most likely have it for sure because I am nervous now even though I know it really isn't life threatening if I do have it. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyb
Do you just figure everybody has it because they say that 80% of sexually active adults have it? I know that a lot do, but that is just an "estimate" so the only real way to know is to get tested.

Now this girl will be getting tested for HPV because I asked her to just to ease my mine.

I am nervous now even though I know it really isn't life threatening if I do have it.
It is not remotely life threatening, and it really is a non-event. Why are you so nervous about it? I think many people get nervous, because it is an STD, and there is a lot of social stigma associated with that. But the actual health risks are incredibly small.

Certainly statistics don't tell the whole story, each person must be seen as an individual. But, with an 80% infection rate, it is more likely than not that you do have HPV (which again really doesn't matter). The vast majority of people who have HPV do not realize it, so even if your former partners don't think they are infected, it is still quite possible that they are.

How is the woman you were with planning on getting tested? Other than having visible warts and having a doctor tell you what they are, there are no reliable tests for HPV. Having an abnormal pap smear, or other problems, can tell you for sure that you DO have it, but there is really no way to be positive that you DO NOT. Condoms do not provide complete protection against HPV.

Once again, HPV is nothing to worry about, but there are a lot of other STDs out there that you should be concerned about. So be safe, EVERY time. Remember that old MTV campaign for condom use? No excuses, no regrets.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

Cherimee HB User

Yeah, bunny there's really no way to tell if you have it, unless it comes in the form of genital warts. My situation was VERY rare, my 'ex' boyfriend gave it to me, and the only way I could point fingers at him was because I was a virgin, so we kinda lucked out....I mean I was fortunate not to have any other partners than him, so there was no guessing game, since HPV is VERY common, most people do not know when or from whom they've contracted it. He's never had an outbreak he was just a carrier, so he never even knew he had it, until it showed up in one of my PAP smears. He even went to a clinic but they told him they was no way he could be tested. So it's possible to be a carrier but you may not know it, unless of course you stumble upon a virgin...

Closed Thread