It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

mamba HB User
Please help: HPV = genital warts???

Hello,

I just got a call from my doctor, saying that I tested for HPV during my pap. I scheduled a colpsocopy two weeks from now, and now I'm worried because I have many questions that are unanswered.

I'm mostly worried about the warts - I never had them, and I don't have them now. I read on this board that:

HPV DOES NOT cause sores. In fact, most types of HPV do not cause any visible symptoms. There are various strands of HPV viruses (I think over 80 different ones). They are basically categorized as either being the type that causes actual genital warts, or the type that is "subclinical" and does not cause any obvious symptoms.

So my doctor will probably diagnose me as having the "subclinical" type?
This means that I'm in risk of getting cervical cancer, but - will I ever get genital warts too?

If not - does it mean I WILL NEVER GET WARTS (because that would mean that my body is immune to the "wart -type" HPV, or I WILL NOT GET WARTS UNTIL I get infected again through vaginal / oral / anal sex?

I'm currently engaged, and I'm assuming that my fiance also has HPV. So can I get from him in the future additional strands of HPV? Or is my body immune to the "warts", because I haven't developed them yet? I'm just not sure how to handle sex with him in the future - also, I will want to have kids so we will have unprotected sex. I'm just not sure what to expect from unprotected sex with him, and also whether or not I can have unprotected oral sex.

Please provide as much information as possible.
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

angel_of_faith HB User
Re: Please help: HPV = genital warts???

HPV is a very hard thing to deal with as well as understand....I have 2 strains of HPV....I have the cervical cancer (i think that is what it is because my pap came back abnormal but you can never tell until you get the colscopy done) and I have genital warts...If you only have the strain for the cervical cancer then you more then likely won't have the warts...there is so many strains of HPV so it could be likely that you could have warts but not from the abnormal pap you had. It's kind of all confusing really to try and understand this virus...with you having an abnormal pap and it being caused from HPV then hopefully they caught it in time and it could only be the pre-cancerous cells. I have to go through the same thing and it's hard especially having both strains of HPV....My doctor was telling me that the cervical cancer type HPV don't effect men and they can't get the cancer...My best advice is to just get it taken care of and have your regular paps and you will be just fine...you will be able to enjoy life just like you did before you were infected...Just like when the time is right you will be able to have kids...It's not the end of the world...just a little pesky virus...Good luck to you and if you have anymore questions I will be more then happy to answer them...~until next time~......::hugs::

Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
(female)

paigebeverly HB User

Right after I had my daughter my four week check up pap came up abnormal. Which was strange becasue I have never had one come back that way. Turns out I have HPV, the cervical type. The doc told me that when I had Kaitlyn that my immune system was down and it made it flare up. So then I was all worried about getting cancer but all is fine now. I am totally normal. And trust me you will be able to have kids. I was.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

There are over 60 different types of genital human papilloma viruses (HPV). Some cause visible warts, some cause abnormal pap smears and can (rarely) cause cervical cancer.

It is possible for you to be infected with more than one type at the same time. If you do have the kind that causes abnormal paps, you may or may not ever have visible warts, depending on whether or not you are also infected with one of the strains that causes visible warts.

As long as you keep current with your pap smears and gyno care, HPV should not impact your fertility.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

ttlarue HB User

Girls, I am in the same boat as of Tuesday. My Dr. called because my pap was abnormal. I guess this has shown up on my previous 2 tests ( I didn't get one while preg. in 04). They have been watching it. They want a follow up pap in July. I'm scared and shocked. I had no idea HPV even existed. I haven't told my husband of 15 years becuase I'm not sure how he'll react. I've done research and talked to a friend/NP. She said not to worry. My ammune system should kick this. So it's resting and trying to relax while taking care of my 3 boys. Vitamins, the good kind, eating right, yoga and mediation.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
(female)

ttlarue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlarue
Girls, I am in the same boat as of Tuesday. My Dr. called because my pap was abnormal. I guess this has shown up on my previous 2 tests ( I didn't get one while preg. in 04). They have been watching it. They want a follow up pap in July. I'm scared and shocked. I had no idea HPV even existed. I haven't told my husband of 15 years becuase I'm not sure how he'll react. I've done research and talked to a friend/NP. She said not to worry. My ammune system should kick this. So it's resting and trying to relax while taking care of my 3 boys. Vitamins, the good kind, eating right, yoga and mediation.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

HPV is a cancer like a wart on your skin....it is NOT a cancer like lung cancer or brain cancer. It is easily taken care of. I had severe displasia and had a Cold knife conazation and five of my paps after have been normal. In fact the surgery was so easy and I had the best sleep EVER! I kow alot of people who have had children after surgery. Also.....All of my friends have HPV...it is THAT common. You can have oral sex...HPV can lay inside your body from your fist sexual partner. Your partner could have given it to you...who knows. As long as you get your pap on a normal basis you should be just fine!!! Don't waste your time worrying. I promise you will live.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher
HPV is a cancer like a wart on your skin....it is NOT a cancer like lung cancer or brain cancer.
I just wanted to clarify; HPV is NOT cancer. It can, rarely, CAUSE cancer. But yes, the type of cancer it can cause is highly treatable with an almost zero death rate.

Good luck.

Closed Thread