It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
(male)

bunnyb HB User
Herpes/HPV how are you suppose to get tested?!?!

I am a male and I wanted to get a STD check for all STD's in general which I assume would be them taking blood and have it sent off to get tested. Now my question is how am I suppose to get tested for herpes or HPV if I am a male and don't have any signs or symptoms? Do I just go about life assuming I don't have either one? I would like to know? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:53 AM   #2

unlucky_guy HB User
Re: Herpes/HPV how are you suppose to get tested?!?!

Herpes - You can get a blood test to check for herpes.

Warts - As a male, you cannot know if you have HPV unless you have some actual warts develop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I have read that the blood test for herpes isn't considered extremely accurate.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
(male)

bunnyb HB User

Anybody else know how accurate the blood test for herpes in males is? Also, I guess the only way a male can know if he might have HPV is to get the females he slept with tested when they go for their pap smear and if none of them have HPV I would assume he doesn't have it?

Old 05-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
(female)

Piroska HB User

That's right, testing all the females (including your mother, because she might have given it to you during childbirth) is the only way for you to know. But even in women HPV can not always be detected - it depends on whether it's active / inactive etc, whether her body has fought it off and it's only latent etc... so there really is no way to know for sure, except if you develop warts, then you can at least know for sure that you do have the warts strands (or at least one of them).

Old 05-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
(male)

bunnyb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piroska
That's right, testing all the females (including your mother, because she might have given it to you during childbirth) is the only way for you to know. But even in women HPV can not always be detected - it depends on whether it's active / inactive etc, whether her body has fought it off and it's only latent etc... so there really is no way to know for sure, except if you develop warts, then you can at least know for sure that you do have the warts strands (or at least one of them).
Well that sucks if the only way to know for sure is to have a break out of warts. So you suppose to go on living life wondering if you might have it and it just hasn't caused any warts yet? Do any of yall think in the near future they might come up with an accurate way to test males even if the don't have any symptoms?

Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

I think you are worrying *way* too much over this. Most people by far contract HPV at some point, and quite honestly it's pretty innocuous - definitely not worth the stress you're putting yourself under. If the thought of contracting HPV (or any STD) continues to upset you, I'd encourage you to seek counseling.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyb
So you suppose to go on living life wondering if you might have it and it just hasn't caused any warts yet?
Why are you so concerned about the possibility of having HPV? It really isn't a big deal, and the vast majority of people infected never have any trouble. Less than 1% of those with HPV will ever have any serious problems, and as a man, your risk of having something is almost zero.

Up to 80% of adults have HPV, so the odds are good that you already have it. But once again, it is extremely unlikely that the virus will ever cause you any problems. There is a huge amount of stigma in our society assocaited with STDs. If HPV were transmitted by any other means, no one would ever give it a second thought. Good luck.

Closed Thread