It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #1

sarahbear21 HB User
spreading hpv

just a quick question, can you pass hpv on to a male partner if you do not have any warts at the time and havent had any for at least 6 months

Old 05-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User
Re: spreading hpv

Maybe not. Newer research shows that you're probably not contagious after 6 months to a year without outbreaks. However, about 10% of people do not resolve the virus, so that's something to consider. But then, I must stress that almost everyone has already contracted at least one strain anyway... so chances are he already has HPV as well, either from you or other partners.

However, I absolutely don't understand what the big deal is about HPV. Would you worry this much if you got a wart on your hand? I doubt it. Don't lose any sleep over this :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

I disagree somewhat with the previous post according to my doctor you can still spread HPV after not having any breakouts for a certain amount of time ect some people never actually have an outbreak and still carry the virus I However it is possible to supress the virus in your system but the virus will always be there... Good Luck keep us posted .

Old 05-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

They're doing a lot of research right now on HPV, and learning lots of new things. It now appears most people do indeed clear the virus after a few months to a year. While it's true that you maintain a very small level, enough so that you don't contract the same strain again, it's not enough to be contagious.

Still, I think it's a moot point. HPV is really very innocuous, certainly not worth all this stress and worry :-)

Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

YES you can.

Chances of Hpv affecting him directly in the future are very slim. But, he will then carry the virus (which has many strains-some worst than others-some causes warts, others has no symptoms!). Many carry Hpv. But, not all people do. If you have HPV, keep it at bay by reducing your stress level, don't smoke, eat well and most of all, don't overlook your annual pap smear.

Your body will fight it. It won't go away, but your immune system will keep it from becoming a serious concern.

But, from what i've read, the way I understand it, ,,,,let me put it this way, If you know you have hpv, no big deal if you take care of yourself (like noted above), no big deal to your male sexual partner. The problem might arise if that male, goes around in later years, (hopefully not the case here, but) and has sexual contact with a women who does NOT "take care of herself" by smoking, eating poorly, but most importantly does not go for annual paps,,,,that's where the concern is. That women, is/can be infected can/could eventually over many years left untreated, become a serious health threat.

What to do? In my opinion. Only have sexual relationship with someone you feel comfortable talking about HPV. So that in his future, he can make sure the women he "sees" are/is indeed taking care of themselves.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Hpv is not a big deal for men. Is not a big deal for women who has annual pap smears. Yet for some, like myself, can lead to a precursor of cervical cancer as i'm sure you're allready aware of. New age is NOW.

I'm 30 with severe dysplasia, I never was told the importance of pap smears. Only had one once over a decade ago, thinking I felt fine, no need for a pap. Was I ever wrong! HPV can/could cause dysplasia, dysplasia over many years can/could lead to cervical cancer.

Hopefully within the next decade or so, severe dysplasia will not be a concern through education. Hpv is nothing to be ashamed of at all, yet, you must tell your partner, simply to avoid a health problem with his future partners through education. If your man is "grossed out" or whatever, he's not worth....

My other advice, if you care about your girlfriends/sisters, make sure they go for their annual pap smears too. Catch it early,,,,no big deal at all, easy fix.

This is more from a reply than you probably expected, yet, i'm mad. Chances are, if the men i've had sexual contact with in the past had told me about hpv (simply put it, to avoid embarrasment-just made sure, out of concern I went for annual pap smears) I wouldn't be so mad. EDUCATION will help drop the numbers of cervical cancer within the next decade, starting with us, now!

Only the stubborn, uneducated people like myself will be affected in the future, which won't happen!!! internet info, caring friends/family members who stand up and make sure their female friends simply go for that 2 mins painless pap smear.

Take 'r eas
(again, sorry for the long post, yet, I do hope I've convinced you to be 100% head held high, knowing the statistics on HPV, you will speak freely about this with your sexual partner, even if condom is used, even if it's only "foreplay",,,,I do want to see the statistics on cervical cancer drop within the next few years/decade. If you can say the word testicule without laughing, you should be able to say HPV and pap smear without embarrasment!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi sarahbear, yeah as Lvnglf says unfortunately you can. In saying that, lots of people with this strain of HPV never go on to get genital warts so your partner won't necessarily get them.

I also think its quite misleading to say that HPV is nothing to worry about. Yes, for the majority of women it is and never will be anything to worry about, but as Lvnglf also pointed out, not all women take care of themselves as they should and when you have HPV missing the odd pap is no longer an option.
The beauty of the pap test is that they can find and treat abnormal cells (caused by HPV) long before they turn into cancer but its a worry that I bet most women would prefer to live without.

I myself had an abnormal pap last time round (showed first signs of genital warts about 2 years ago) and need to go for a repeat in a few weeks. Its not so easy to basically say "everyone has HPV, forget about it" when you are in that position.

Closed Thread