It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

88Shadow HB User
If you could ask one question about HPV?

Hi! I'm a freelance writer who also tested positive for high risk HPV. I'm seeing so much confusion out there on this subject. I also feel there isn't enough information given to women and I want to do a series of articles to clear up misconceptions and provide education. I have secured a couple of interviews with top doctors in the HPV/women's health field. I would love to tap into the major questions those of you on this board have when it comes to this virus. If any of you would like, post to this thread the ONE question you would ask a top doctor about HPV if you had the opportunity. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-30-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User
Re: If you could ask one question about HPV?

The ONE question I know a lot of women would like to ask is "Does HPV ever go away...like once you have HPV are you always contagious?? There are many debates on this question....Thanks in advance.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Justawondering:

Excellent question. I'll make sure I ask that one in my interview next week! I'm hoping to get a lot of top questions that women have on their minds from this board. Thanks for responding. I will be posting what I find after my interviews back here for everyone's information!

Old 05-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

ariel35 HB User

Please ask why they don't test for it automatically when you have problems with dysplasia. I was told I probably had it. Now I am demanding to be tested.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

Why is this STD a hush, hush (seems to be kept a secret) in high schools, even at the event of a young women's first pap smear, ect?

Old 05-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnglf
Why is this STD a hush, hush (seems to be kept a secret) in high schools, even at the event of a young women's first pap smear, ect?

Good question! Why was I never told the real reason for getting pap smears other then checking for STD's. Always thought cervical cancer was something passed down from genes...

Never knew there was an STD that could cause a woman cancer...

Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

88Shadow HB User

This is another great question. Doctors don't seem to willing to talk about it even to their patients. I had to drag it out of my doctor and he still didn't tell me I'd tested positive for a high risk strain. Only found that out when I switched to another doctor because she's willing to have me on a regimine of folic acid and vitamin A that has proven very successful. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing - I HAVE to be proactive. I'm hoping others will post any questions they might have. I've also gotten a lot of questions just from reading this thread! Thanks for posting!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
(female)

nightowl800 HB User

Id like to have a copy of the results of this, My question would be, How should you interact with your sexual partner after being infected, and is oral sex out of the question?

Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 AM   #9
(female)

cmedd HB User

I have heard there is a vaccine that should be ready late 2005 but there are only a few sites with information on it. When I asked my Dr she said that was correct but they were still a way's out. Can you find out more information on it...who would be able to receive the vaccine, if you have HPV will this work on you, when will testing start etc.
Thanks

Old 06-02-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
(female)

cmedd HB User

Why do most Drs not test for HPV automatically when submitting a pap smear

Last edited by cmedd; 06-02-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Thanks for the great questions! I'm seeing lots of confusion regarding condom use if you are in a relationship as well as HPV's effect on your mouth/throat if you engage in oral sex! I think part of the problem is that even the doctor's don't have all the answers. I'm hoping to find the latest research and information on everything to do with HPV. Again - thank you all for your input!

Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

I too am confused about condom use. I had a LEEP in January and there was some evidence of HPV in my colpo results. so since the LEEP i have been using condoms with my boyfriend of two years. I am waiting on my results from my follow up pap. I also have been taking vitamins. I'm wondering if condoms can help prevent another abnormal pap if you have the cancer causing agent.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
(female)

redstarr987 HB User

I have read many times that cervical cancer is sexually transmtted. In reality though it is HPV that is transmitted sexually that ends up being cancer. So what about those that have dysplasia or cancer without HPV? Do doctors assume they have HPV because sometimes it isn't always detected?

Old 06-05-2005, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User

Some answeres I know of.

If you are in a relationship where the both of you are comitted to one another, you cannot pass the HPV strain back and forth. Unless your partner smokes and smokes around you then yes it can affect the abnormal cells to appear again.

HPV actually affects every female differently. Some woman stay only at Mild dysplasia while others test for Moderate and clop shows Severa. It all depends on your lifestyle.

As far as oral sex, I believe it won't pose a great risk because HPV loves the cervix more then anything. If anyone hears other please let me know because this does not stop me from pleasing my man.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

Okay this is the question I would like to ask

What's the possibility of catching HPV (the cervical type) by genital contact that is without intercourse?

Closed Thread