It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

stitch626 HB User
Hpv Is Everywhere

women and especially young women need to really educate themselves about hpv. its not just warts, it could cause cancer, and women are much more likely to be effected by it than men. its a dangerous disease, and so many are infected.
in school i feel i was definately not educated well enough on the subject...otherwise i would have been much more careful.

there is a new test out now that can test ladies or hpv, i think you need to ask for the test during your normal exam. its a good idea for all to be checked.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User
Re: Hpv Is Everywhere

I went to a free clinic to be tested and was told that the result were negative...then soon after that a few warts appeared.

At the time the notion was that warts/HPV was more difficult to detect, but I felt like they didn't even try, since warts/HPV was never mentioned...no wonder HPV is so prevalent today.

Last edited by ethera; 06-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

All sexually active women should get annual PAP tests. HPV is so prevenlent that it's estimated that 99% of sexually active adults will contract it at one point during their lifetime. The interesting thing is that it isn't necessarily the genital wart strain that is linked to cervical cancer.

Ethera, what kind of test were you there for? Was it just for HPV? Because I've heard there is no blood test for it. Just a examination and a surface test, and you can see the results immediately. Seems weird.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethera
I went to a free clinic to be tested and was told that the result were negative...then soon after that a few warts appeared.
What type of testing did you have? There are very few testing options for men, especially when there are no visible warts present.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #5

stitch626 HB User

i never heard of the test for men,...i was under the impression that men could neer be tested for it, and that a new test had just recently come out for women.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

It seems to me that they could take a tissue sample ( or several if that would be effective ), and maybe do a blood test ( don't they do a blood test for HPV with males now?), to test males for HPV.

I supposed HPV does not cover the area of the penis like a coat of "paint", but instead is maybe "patchy" with scattered areas...

In that case, if HPV wasn't already detected, it would definitely be no guarantee of not having HPV...

Thisby,

No I did not go get tested for HPV ( I had never heard of HPV, and had no symptoms yet ).

I went to get tested for STDs in general because I had just had casual, unprotected sex.

I knew about STDs like HIV, herpes, gonorrhea, syphillis, and chlamydia, but I had never heard of HPV ( it was not even discussed in high school health class; that is where I was versed in the ones I've already mentioned.

I had a swab/culture type STD test. If you want a description of the STD test I had done, see my response in reply to "Very worried", posted by David25.

The estimated rates of adult HPV infection seem to be rising...I kept reading it was 80%, now I read that it could be as high as 99%...with the way most attitudes toward it are now, and since testing is inadequate and condoms are not greatly effective in preventing HPV infection, I do not doubt that rates could reach 99%.

Last edited by ethera; 06-09-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

ethera, if you did not specifically ask to be tested for HPV and have a visible wart available to show them to test, they don't/won't/can't do anything.

Also remember, HPV includes ALL strains of warts, not just genital, and as such, is very common.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Ranger185 HB User

Thisby could you explain sexually active adults ? I mean are you including monogomus couples where did you get the figure of 99%, that cannot be correct thats everyone that has sex will get hpv impossible ? Where do you get your info from ?

Last edited by Ranger185; 06-09-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

Thisby,

When I went to get tested for STDs, I did not name any specific STDs that I wanted to be tested for...why would I?

Some people get tested just because they've been clearly exposed to risk ( such as having unprotected sex ),

as opposed to whether or not they show any symptoms yet.

It seemed logical to me that if I was going to be tested for STDs specifically because of having unprotected sex, that I would be tested for all of them...how ignorant I was...

That said, I think it's rather irresponsible of a medical testing facility to not level with the patient, and tell them what main risks exist ( now I'd say HPV is a pretty prevalent risk ), what they can and cannot be tested for, and for the particular visit, what they will and will not be tested for...

and I don't mean they'd have to name every disease know to to man, but it is reasonable that they should at least give mention of the STDs that are significantly prevalent ( such as HPV ), and what the realistic options are in avoiding them, based on statistics...

No wonder STDs are so rampant... even if responsible people get tested, and if the results are negative, are then led to believe that they are 'fine', they wind up infecting someone else with something like HPV, because they didn't know the risk, and because it couldn't be tested for without visible symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
ethera, if you did not specifically ask to be tested for HPV and have a visible wart available to show them to test, they don't/won't/can't do anything
If I had a visible wart already, I'd already know something was different/wrong, and of course I would want to know what exactly it was, but I sure wouldn't go having sex until I'd been tested and gotten a doctor's feedback about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
ethera, if you did not specifically ask to be tested for HPV and have a visible wart available to show them to test, they don't/won't/can't do anything

Thisby, of course I understand that now, but if I go get tested for STDs because of a clear and present risk like having had unprotected sex,

I expect to be tested for as many STDs as possible. If they cannot test me for something as prevalent as HPV genital warts virus ( before the warts show up ), I expect to at least be made aware of the possibility that I could have it ( based on prevalence inability to test for, and the fact that I'd had unprotected sex ) before I go thinking I'm all fine and then go wind up infecting someone else...

Last edited by ethera; 06-09-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger185
Thisby could you explain sexually active adults ? I mean are you including monogomus couples where did you get the figure of 99%, that cannot be correct thats everyone that has sex will get hpv impossible ? Where do you get your info from ?
HPV stands for Human Papilloma Virus, which are viruses that cause warts. The term HPV refers to ALL of the wart causing viruses, including ones that cause warts on your hands, feet, etc. When most people (especially on this board) talk about HPV, they are really only talking about strains of the virus that cause warts on the GENITALS. As such, it would be more accurate if we referred to it as "genital HPV."

I think the 99% number refers to all of the types of HPV, not just the genital strains. Clearly, almost every human on earth has been exposed to at least one type of wart virus. They are everywhere.

When it comes to genital HPV strains, many sources say that up to 80% of sexually active adults in America are infected. This stat does include monogamous couples (they would be in the 20% of the uninfected). Not everyone who has sex will be exposed to HPV, and not everyone who is exposed will get the virus, but many, even most will. So, if you are having sex, and your partner is not a virgin, it is a good bet that he/she has genital HPV. The vast majority of those with genital HPV do not know it. And the vast majority will never have any major problems because of it.

I hope this is understandable. HPV is a confusing topic.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:26 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethera
I expect to be tested for as many STDs as possible. If they cannot test me for something as prevalent as HPV genital warts virus ( before the warts show up ), I expect to at least be made aware of the possibility that I could have it ( based on prevalence inability to test for, and the fact that I'd had unprotected sex ) before I go thinking I'm all fine and then go wind up infecting someone else...
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn there's no test for men for HPV, if there's no visible wart...

But even so, HPV is pretty innocuous for almost all people. The worst that can happen is some strands can cause cervical cancer, and that's pretty easily prevented with regular pap smears and appropriate treatment. Otherwise, you either get visible warts or no symptoms at all, and I don't think either of those are a big deal at ALL. Think of it this way, if you got a wart on your hand, would you freak out? I doubt it. I think it's just the fact that you know it's a STD that's upsetting you. But what's *really* so different about a STD from any other contagious illness?

I've read a number of your posts, and it seems this issue is really preventing you from living a full and happy life. I would strongly urge you to consider getting some counseling to help you deal with these things. You CAN have a happy, healthy life, which includes a fulfilling, satisfying sex life. It's all in the way you look at yourself. I wish you the best.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

We've already established that there's no test for the HPV virus in males ( unless there are visible warts. )

Since there is no test for genital warts (prior to visible symptoms), the clinic should have warned me about the genital warts virus, and that I might be carrying it.

I think it's irresponsible and indifferent of them. It's like they're saying 'hey since we can't cure it, we might as well let everyone get infected with it...'

It's wrong. It's insideous.

I'm sure they're just negligent rather than calculating, but it has the same affect on the population ( increased rates of infection with the genital wart virus ).

Yes I am frustrated about it. It's a liability that I really don't need.

The truth is that nothing can stop it except abstinence and monogamy.

No one wants to hear that. I don't.

If you're someone who want to date, not have any heavy trips laid on you , and be open to possibilities it's a bummer.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

opps posted it too many time look down to the next post

Last edited by Mr.G; 06-10-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger185
I got the stat from a doctor commenting on the fact that the oft-quoted statistic of "75% of the population will will have at least one HPV infection in their lifetime" includes celibates and children. The comment was something like if you only factor in people with sexual partners, 99% will be infected. For your 'monogamous couple' to be guaranteed of never having had or getting HPV, they would have to have been each other's ONLY partner - not just currently monogamous - and avoid any physical contact with other people, not just sex, because HPV includes all forms of warts, not just genital, so that means on hands, feet, anywhere. Sexual contact just dramatically increases the odds of passing it on.

And the 75% includes ALL warts, not just genital.

And just to add to the confusion, I've read that the strain(s) of HPV that cause genital warts are NOT the kind that cause cervical cancer anyway. So logically, we should be more afraid of a regular (non genital) wart, even though it doesn't carry the same shock value of genital warts.

Anyway, they're working on a vaccine.

Last edited by Thisby; 06-11-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #15
(female)

YeahImScared HB User

... correction

80 percent of ppl will contract it in their lifetime

Closed Thread