It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

cantturnback HB User
Calling anyone with HPV

Hi, i was diagnosed with hpv about 8 months ago, since then i have found out that i have high risk- HPV, for all those who dont know, there is a strong relation between High risk HPV and cervical cancer. I am 19 years old and i came back with a abnormal pap, when i was reffered to have the coloscopy, they took a biopsy and a sample of scrapped tissue, I am awaiting the results of my tests, the doctors, told me it looks serious, so im expecting to have to do maybe one of the more invasive surgeries to get rid of these pre cancerious cells. This is a very scary process for anyone I havnt even been through what half these brave women have on this sight but im scared and sometimes its hard to have hope for the future, Im afraid of getting full blown cancer and scared that i will not be able to have children. There are many things you can do to help your immune system so that you may be able to fight the virus somewhat, DO NOT SMOkE, dont drink heavely, take a multi-vitamin, eat healthy, excercise, try to think positive, and try to find a support group it really helps to talk to others who are going through this.
If anyone would like to talk I be more than happy to listen, sometimes its even hard to find support from doctors, who just dont seem to understand the full intensity of this situation, well I pray for all you ladies and good luck, well write me back if anyone would like to tell there story.Thanx

Last edited by cantturnback; 06-11-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Calling anyone with HPV

Just want to say, sounds like you've done your homework. .

From what i've read, you are at the greatest advantage of early identification. Follow your own advice (as i'm sure you do.) and you'll be just fine.

Take 'r eas.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

how was the level of dysplasia diagnosed to you? moderate? Hope everything goes well for you!

Add to that taking folic acid. I was diagnosed 3 months ago. My colpo was negative so Im having hopes my next pap comes clean althought im having a new bf now so I may have new strains of the virus now. HPV is impossible to avoid!

Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

Cin3 was diagnosed at pap and punch. Now waiting for leep results.
Keeping in mind i'm 30 years old, this (a few months ago) was only my 2nd pap smear in my life (1st one being over 10yrs ago). Point being, with education on the importance of the pap, ,,,,well, you know where i'm going.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

cantturnback HB User

Thank you all for replying, i just received my results back from the dc., and they came back with me have mild dysplasia, which i thank the Lord above that i dont have cancer. I asked them what I should do from here and they said I could just come back in 6 months to see how im doing, but i decided to go head and freeze the lesions, to prevent any other problems, not looking forward to it, but i want to take care of any problems before they happen. And thats what im suggesting to the rest of ya'll, too, because God forbid they tell you you have gotten cancer from this stupid disease. Well take care all of you, and youll be in my prayers, which also by the way has helped me alot these last few months, thanx

Old 06-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

shera4 HB User

Hi - I'm very new to these message boards so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong. My story - I am 28 years old. I had my first ASCUS pap result about 5 years ago. For the next few years, all PAPs (once a year) had been normal and I didn't think about it again. Then, a year ago, my PAP came back abnormal. They repeated it and it came back with CIN-I and I was told about having HPV - first I'd ever heard of it. I had a colposcopy soon after involving a few biopsies. Six months later my repeat PAP was normal and I thought I was in the clear. Now (a year after the abnormal CIN PAP), I got a bad news call from the doctor this morning. This time they are saying ASCUS/LGSIL. I'm not sure if this is better, worse, the same? She gave me the option of waiting 6 months to repeat the PAP, but recommended another colposcopy which I have scheduled for mid July. I am very worried. There is a lot of cancer in my family and have also been a lot of hysterectomies - grandmother, mother, aunt - not sure the reason. So I'm a bit nervous that I'm heading down a bad path. My doctor tried to convince me not be be too alarmed - that its no worse than before and that its low grade. But my mind is in panic mode. I worry about getting cancer, not being able to have children, etc. I've heard HPV is very common but that doesn't make me feel better about ME having it and it isn't going away on its own like I've heard it could. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I am doing wrong or something I could be doing better to help me get rid of this problem. I am on birth control. I've been monogamous for 18 months, before that a couple of 'unsafe' situations that I worry have caused this. Is it out of my control at this point? I guess I just don't know enough. I'm trying to research it, but some of the websites only made me more scared. It doesn't seem good to me that I was 'normal' 6 months after the colposcopy/biopsy but then it came back. I guess I just appreciate hearing other peoples stories and knowing that I am not the only person living with this uncertainty. Any words of advice or knowledge you've picked up would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

shera 4,
My story in a way is like yours. I'm 25 years old. about 5 years ago I had an abnormal pap that showed ASCUS. After the biopsy it came back normal and i had a few normal paps. Then in November of this year I had an abnormal pap that showed Mild Dysplasia. I had a biopsy and then a LEEP. My results from the LEEP came back normal. But then in May I had another abnormal pap showing mild dysplasia again. So i'm headed for my second LEEP.
I know you must be full of worry but try to relax. Mild dysplasia is not cancer. I too have a family history of cancer and I was panicing that the same thing was happening to me. Its important to know that it takes a long time to get cervical cancer. And its good that we are having Paps and taking care of any problems before they become cancer. I have the high risk strain of HPV. You will worry yourself sick wondering how and when you got it. But there is no way of telling. That is the hard part of it all. Don't beat your self up. You are in good hands. I do recommend not letting the dysplasia sit around. its better to be proactive when it comes to this stuff.

I read a really good book about HPV and dysplasia. Its called "What your doctor may not tell you about HPV and abnormal pap smears." i highly recommend it. The author is Joel Palefsky, M.D.

You right HPV is very common. One of my best friends is going through the same thing so you are not alone. I found this board to be very helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions i'd be happy to help! And keep your head up...

Old 06-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
(female)

maryrice HB User

I haven't been dealing with this for very long, but it feels like a long time. In January, my pap came back ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance). For some reason, I thought it meant that they had gotten a weird sample of cells and that the pathologist just couldn't "determine" anything. The doctor told me that it is usually an infection or something, and that your body can usually resolve it. I didn't think anything of it.

I went back in May for another pap smear, and it came back ASCUS again. That is when I started to worry. There wasn't any reason for me to be worrying so much, but I didn't want to do anything but sleep on the couch. I went in for a colposcopy a week ago, and they took four biopsies. The doctor could see the "bad" cells even without the colposcope. That sounded pretty bad to me. She told me during the colposcopy I have severe dysplasia, which just means abnormal cells. I am supposed to go in tomorrow to find out the results of the biopsies and to discuss treatment options. I'm only 22. I found out recently that both of my mom's sisters usually get abnormal pap smears, and nothing has come of their problems.

Oh, and a few days after the colposcopy, something about half the size of a condom that looked and felt like the white of a fried egg came out. Has anyone else experienced that??? The doctor didn't know what I was talking about. Do you think I might have been pregnant and miscarried? I don't know anything about miscarriages, but what else could have come out???

Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
(female)

shera4 HB User

Thank you slj16! You know, I think researching on the internet may not always be the best idea. There is almost too much information out there with every type of scenario and it can make you think things are worse than they may be. I always think that the worst case scenario will happen to me. Its great to hear information from other peoples experiences who are in the same boat, in addition to the facts and statistics.
I got mad at the scheduler at my doctors office today because she said the next available appointment for a colposcopy wasn't for over a month and that it wasn't marked as urgent. But I told her that I didn't want this hanging over my head for that long, so SOMEHOW she found an appointment 2 weeks earlier! So until then, I will just wait it out.
I've seen that book before in the store, but I was with my boyfriend and didn't want to buy it unless I was on my own. Now that I've gotten a good review, I'll check it out. Thanks again. My heart rate has come down a bit!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

shera4,
I'm glad that your heart rate has gone down! I too tend to not look on the bright side of things. But I'm telling you, you are going to fine. Try to get the book if you can. Not all of the material will pertain to you, but its interesting to read about Mild Dysplasia and HPV. It made me feel better about myself in a way. I hope things work out for you and please keep me posted.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
(female)

cantturnback HB User

hi thanks for replying, there are things that you could do to lessen your chances of geeting cancer from hpv, first i donot suggest the supposed wait and see method so many docs try to implore, but that is up to you every individual is different, and everyones body will react differently. They told me that after they said i had two lesions, i told them i want them to remove them. So i am going to freeze them off. I have been to many docs and they have all told me different things, i found out hpv is non curable through the internet. I am on the ups and downs with docs right now, even though I do and am going to see them reguarly, but how can someone just tell you to realax and its not a big deal when they probally dont know what you are going through. Also to start to let the hpv go into a remissive stage you need to boost your immune system, this is very important if you have high risk. You need to eat right, take vitamins, excercise, dont smoke, pray and hope for the best. Good luck to you and dont worry were all here for you, everyone keep telling there stories, were helping others by doing this. Stay strong, god bless

Last edited by cantturnback; 06-21-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

i totally agree with you! it makes me feel better to know that there are more women out there who are going through the same thing as me. its very comforting to hear your stories.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
(female)

unsuretoday HB User

Dear Cantturnback,

Thank you for your story. I found out this last Friday from a routine pap that I have HPV (high risk strain 16 & 18). I am a 32 year old woman who although has not been one to "sleep around" has had a couple of partners so of course I was at first racking my brain trying to figure out where i got it from. Not to mention, just scared since it can cause cervical cancer. I am schedule for my fist colposcopy on July 15th and am scared to death. They say I do not have cervical cancer today but I tell ya' I am freaking out. All I can think is the worst. I have a little girl 7 and with words like cancer well, you just get frightened. My boyfriend is very supportive and is not running away but says "FOREVER" so I have him to be thankful for also. Any words for me? How are you doing?
UNSURETODAY

Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 AM   #14
(female)

Lola13 HB User

I have been diagnosed with two dysplasia cervical lesions, one being mild and the other being moderate. The recovery from the cryo and lasers sound horrendous though (weeks of wearing pads for watery discharge, and months of no sex). There is also the risk with all of these procedures, especially LEEP that future fertility problems are very possible. Could you please tell me about your recovery from the cryotherapy and how painful you felt the actual procedure was?

Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #15

lobo1977 HB User

Lola i had a laser and leep and it was NOTHING - definitely not horrendus, i wore light pads and it was just at little discharge, not even 1/2 a period. A little crampy for a day or so but i had codine and that totally helped. on day 3 i was doing great - i just took it easy for a month w/o sex or exercise and all was good. I had cryo years ago which was really nothing -- i walked 30 blocks home after wards and was 100 percent fine that evening, but it came back years later to CIN 3 and I have heard a lot of women have had failed cryo too...

The risk w/ fertility is VERY low with leep, even lower with laser, and just very small with the cold knife cone. They can work with you as well if your cervix is a little tight or loose, and all my dr's have said that problems are very very rare. Just make SURE you get a very good oncologist/gyn to do the surgery.....that is VERY important.

Dont worry about that at all, the WORST part is the freaking out BEFORE I suggest going under - I was actually scared to, but im so glad I did, It was like two seconds and I dont remember a thing

Closed Thread