It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
Might have HPV, really scared (question)

Okay I seriously need help with this. Here's the deal - I had been with my boyfriend for 4 1/2 years. We were sexually active, and we discussed our sexual histories before we had sex (we were each other's firsts). So we became sexually active, sometimes not using a condom, but that was okay cuz neither of us had any std's obviously.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I decided he and I should take a break. We were apart for six months, in which time I met someone else and became sexually active with him. This time, I wasn't so smart. There were times we didn't use a condom because I was on the pill and he had led me to believe he had no stds. We were together for a few months, broke up, then shortly after, my ex and I got back together and were sexually active once again. And again, we didn't use a condom sometimes. Fast forward a few months, and I find out I'm pregnant. I went in for my first prenatal appointment when I was already 3 months along, did the pap, and it came back normal. I had my baby at the end of April and just went in a couple weeks ago for my 6-week check-up (although it had been longer than 6 weeks obviously). This time, my pap came back abnormal. I'm really worried that I have HPV. I feel so horrible because I never told my boyfriend (we're getting married in a few months) that I had sex with the other guy, and now I may have put him at risk for HPV, too. Plus I'm afraid that it maybe somehow affected my baby. He's perfectly healthy that I know of... But I'm just scared.

So here's how it breaks down - my last sexual encounter with the 2nd guy was 7 months BEFORE my first pap, which came back normal. Then there were 6 months between that first pap and the second one, which came back abnormal. So my question is, if I did get HPV from the second guy, would it have shown up on that first pap (how long does it take HPV to show up on a pap)? I should also note that I've never had an abnormal pap before I had my baby (so I'm kind of hoping it's something related to that), and I've never had any visible warts down there, although I do know that not all people actually get warts from HPV. Also, I'd been spotting consistently since I'd had my baby, which some people have told me can also throw off a pap. I have to go in after my next period ends for a colposcopy.

Sorry this is so long... I'd just really appreciate some input on this!! Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by cambria; 07-26-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User
Re: Might have HPV, really scared (question)

Hi cambria. Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
Firstly, it is not uncommon for a pap to come back abnormal after you have given birth. When you think of the trauma your cervix, womb etc goes through with birth this makes sense doesn't it? Infact I am surprised that women even get paps so soon after birth, I never knew this happened. So I would definitely not automatically think that this has anything to do with HPV.

Even if it is, HPV is something that 80% of sexually active people will have at one point in their lives. Scarely though, it is something that a lot of people have never even heard of and if you have no visible warts it is something that wouldn't enter most peoples heads.
I don't know how long it would take for HPV to show up on a pap, if ever, but really, there is no way of knowing for sure who you have got it from. There is no test for men, they know they have it only when warts appear on their genitals. For all you know, your boyfriend could have given it to you. If he has ever been sexually active with anyone before he met you this is a possibility. Even if he used condoms, they do not completely stop the spread of HPV. As soon as you have intercourse there is always a good chance that you will contract HPV so please don't feel this is something that you should blame yourself for.

As far as I know the only risk to your baby would be if you had a natural birth with active warts on your genitals and cervix at the time of birth. I don't think this is something you need worry about. If that were the case think of all the women who would pass HPV to their baby.

I'm sorry if this has been a bit long winded! Post back if there is something that I have missed. x

Old 07-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User
Re: Might have HPV, really scared (question)

You don't know yet that your abnormal pap was because of HPV. A lot of things can cause an abnormal pap, including spotting and even a yeast infection.

If it is HPV, the risk to your son is pretty much zero. The risk of complications from HPV for the newborn are incredibly low, far less than one in 10,000. And any such complications would have been evident soon after birth. If no problems were detected then, he is fine.

It can take years or even longer for HPV to show up as an abnormal pap. So you can never really know when you were infected (again, you don't even know if it is HPV yet). Keep in mind that HPV can be transmitted by skin to skin contact, not just intercourse. So if either you or your boyfriend ever had ANY type of sexual contact with someone else, you could have been infected. Even if the two of you were each other's first.

I am sure you will start to feel better once you have more information. Good luck.

Closed Thread