It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
(male)

TemporaryName11 HB User
Male HPV tranmission question

I am being treated for genital warts. The female, who is no longer my partner, just had a LEEP procedure performed and thankfully was told she has clear margins. Anyway, she did not and does not have external symptoms of HPV. Unfortunately it appears the strain of HPV I carry can cause both warts AND cervical cancer. On an odd note, a different partner, the female who gave me the HPV, only had warts but no cervical dysplasia. (This confuses me, as my partner with the cervical dysplasia has ONLY been with me and no one else. I wonder why she does not have warts but cervical dysplasia?)

My real question is this: once all of my treated tissue is healed, and I am free of gentiral warts, can I still transmit HPV to new partners? I already understand the virus will be with me forever and must be vigilant in making sure the warts to not come back. I also will inform my future partners I carry HPV.

Any response would be appreciated!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
(male)

TemporaryName11 HB User
Re: Male HPV tranmission question

anyone? Some help would be nice :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

That's funny. I've always read that the strains of HPV known for causing cervical cancer are not the ones that cause genital warts. Which strain do you have? Did they really do DNA testing on it? (That's the only way to tell.)

And it is possible to have more than one strain.

About how it's transmitted, I'm really not sure, it seems that different sites (even government medical ones) tend to say different things. (e.g. I personally know a few little kids with warts on their hands or feet and they certainly didn't get it from sexual contact yet many sites make a blanket statement that all HPV is sexually transmitted.) It would be good to find out exactly how it's transmitted. Direct contact with a wart? (which means if you have none, you can't spread it, despite still having the virus). direct contact with any body fluid? Saying 'sexual contact' isn't specific enough...

As far as having the virus forever, I've also read that the virus usually leaves your body after about 2 years. People do not generally carry the virus forever.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
(male)

TemporaryName11 HB User

Thank you for responding! I do not know which strain I have; no DNA testing has been done, so perhaps I do have more than one strain.

I have carried the virus for much longer than 2 years, pushing 5 years now; although it did not show symptoms in the beginning. I am unsure when I did actually begin showing symptoms. It took the parnter above (who had the LEEP procedure performed) 3 1/2 years to go from normal paps to reactive, then within a few months into CIN III and right into cervical cancer.

Anyway, I have used condylox which has been largely ineffective - seems it only gives the warts an opportunity to resurface themselves. I am going to try cryotherapy this week. Let's hope it works! Otherwise... well, I don't want to think about otherwise.

Last edited by TemporaryName11; 08-31-2005 at 04:28 AM.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
(male)

DiscoDan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporaryName11
My real question is this: once all of my treated tissue is healed, and I am free of gentiral warts, can I still transmit HPV to new partners?
I can't believe anyone would already be that anxious about having sex again. Even if you told new partners about your diseases, haven't you realized that sex isn't just a good time now?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
(male)

TemporaryName11 HB User

What the h*** is wrong with you? I couldn't make love now even if I tried. Do you have a STD? If you did, you'd know part of the fear of having an uncurable one is feeling like you'll always be alone because no one will want you again. Knowing I couldn't transmit it after symptoms are gone would have a positive emotional impact on me as well as keep me informed. You, sir, need to get a grip and not say something so demeaning.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

I also wouldn't be so sure you gave HPV to your partner. Even if she hadn't had intercourse before you, I'm sure she had at least some genital-to-genital contact with others, and that's how HPV is spread.

Anyway, this is certainly nothing to freak about. Pretty much everyone who has had more than three partners (and that's pretty much everyone) has contracted at least one strand of HPV. And generally HPV is pretty innocuous, although as you noted, some strands can cause cervical cancer. But as long as you keep up with regular paps and treatment, even that's almost always fine.

Newer research shows that after about six months to a year without an outbreak, about 90% of people likely clear the virus and are no longer contagious. Still, I'd tell any partner, since you at least had a high-risk strand, and had visible warts. But still, you're in awfully good company. Just educate yourself as much as you can, so you can educate your partners as well :-) You will be okay, and you'll have partners again. I promise :-)

Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
(male)

TemporaryName11 HB User

Thank you for your response. I am eager to get on with my treatment and I can't wait to no longer show symptoms.

For the record, though, she had zero genital-to-genital contact before me. I'm as positive as I can be about that.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

sparkle is right. The virus does clear itself. This is not something you will have forever. Dunno y you had it so long maybe the treatment was not dont long enough. Keep in mind that their will be a vaccine coming out soon to at least protect your partner form getting it. Good luck!

Closed Thread