It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

kellylynn25 HB User
Unhappy hpv help

Hello, about a year ago i was diagnosed with hpv and cin1. well i have had abnormal paps since than and the last one i had was abnormal again, the one before however was normal, which got my hopes up that my immune system surpressed the virus..well I have to have another colopscopy, which i am not looking forward to, my main concern is, why hasnt my dr done anything about this? is this normal to just repeat paps and colopscopys? I have been reading up on it and I seen cyrotherapy which i think would be good to prevent it front spreading or cone biopsy which i pray to god i do not have to have because Im scared to death to have that. Is what my dr doing normal or should some kind of treatment have been done by now? Please help , also im scared that hpv is going to make me infertle what is the truth to this? Should i find a new dr? im going wed. for colopscopy so will stick with this dr for that, but what should i do? I have been stressing so much over this. Im scared im going to end up with cancer because nothing has really been done except repeat paps and this will be the 2nd colpo. Thanks for any advice

Old 09-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
(female)

cambria HB User
Re: hpv help

I would say that this time around, it should definitely be treated. I know that some doctors like to just wait a little to see if it clears up on its own, if you only have a slight abnormality like you had. So maybe that's what was going on with that. But then since you had a second abnormal pap and have to have another colposcopy, you should definitely be treated this time. I wouldn't worry about having a cone biopsy if you only have a slight abnormality. If anything, I think you can expect cryotherapy.

As far as HPV making you infertile, I don't think it can? Unless of course it was to progress to cancer and you had to have that taken care of...

If I were you, I'd demand some info as to why nothing's been done and what's GOING to be done to treat this. If your dr. still doesn't want to do anything, I'd get a second opinion. Go to a different doctor. As you said, you obviously don't want to end up with cancer! Luckily, cervical cancer is very slow-growing (and not all abnormalities will for sure develop into actual cancer), but still... you DO need to be treated. That's the whole point of going in for paps - to get treated if they're abnormal. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Last edited by cambria; 09-19-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

kellylynn25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria
I would say that this time around, it should definitely be treated. I know that some doctors like to just wait a little to see if it clears up on its own, if you only have a slight abnormality like you had. So maybe that's what was going on with that. But then since you had a second abnormal pap and have to have another colposcopy, you should definitely be treated this time. I wouldn't worry about having a cone biopsy if you only have a slight abnormality. If anything, I think you can expect cryotherapy.

As far as HPV making you infertile, I don't think it can? Unless of course it was to progress to cancer and you had to have that taken care of...

If I were you, I'd demand some info as to why nothing's been done and what's GOING to be done to treat this. If your dr. still doesn't want to do anything, I'd get a second opinion. Go to a different doctor. As you said, you obviously don't want to end up with cancer! Luckily, cervical cancer is very slow-growing (and not all abnormalities will for sure develop into actual cancer), but still... you DO need to be treated. That's the whole point of going in for paps - to get treated if they're abnormal. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Thanks for the reply..I have been going in for repeat paps every 3 months for about a year now...only 1 has been normal...im nervous about this whole procedure again, ill be happy when it is all over...as for cyrotherapy..does it hurt? i dont know much about it..thanks again...

Old 09-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

cambria HB User

Wow, so it sounds like you've had a LOT of abnormal paps! I have no clue why you haven't been treated yet! Yikes. I just had cryotherapy done last Tuesday and really, the most uncomfortable part was just the speculum. My dr. had to use one of the bigger ones to open me up enough and that was pretty uncomfortable. With the actually procedure itself though, the only thing I felt was some period-type cramps in my back (definitely not unbearable) the first round. The second time she froze, I didn't feel anything. Really, it wasn't bad. I seem to have developed a slight infection though and have to go back in tomorrow so the doctor can check it out. Cryotherapy is only 85-90% effective, unfortunately. There's still a chance it didn't totally take care of the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it worked out for me (as I hope it does for you!) Like you, I just want to have this over and done with! It's such a pain in the butt! If you have anymore questions about the procedure, feel free to ask!!

Old 09-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

kellylynn25 HB User

well, just got back from my colpo...more bleeding this time than the last one ugh...anyways...im a little confused..last time i had one the dr didnt say not to have intercourse and when i asked she said it does not matter, this dr said wait 10-14 days lol ahhh if doctors only had universal information. well this dr told me that with mild dysplasia in a woman my age (25 yrs. old) that they generally do not treat it and it goes away on its on within a few years..since i had a normal pap in between - that leads him to believe that it is a different strain of the virus..which i know my current partner would have given to me. I do not know that he has it for a fact, but who knows. So basically he says that they just monitor it because normally goes away on its own...have you had a colpo? how long did you wait to have sex? my b/f doesnt know of any of this and how do i explain no sex for 10 days? lol

Closed Thread