It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

healthnut76 HB User
Do you tell your partner about HPV even though r/o

there isn't much u can do about it as a woman except to get pap smears often and men don't really get any symptoms from the cancer causing kind. also many docs tell u it isn't necessary to tell them. and it seems that so many people have it (something like 80%) and they don't test men for it so what to do?

Old 09-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Do you tell your partner about HPV even though r/o

Your info is just a little off. The claim is actually 80% of people will be exposed to it at some point in their lives . That's quite different from 80% (or whatever percent the source says) having it.

Most people will rid themselves of the virus within 2 years.

And the strains of HPV virus that are known to cause cervical cancer are not the onces that cause genital warts so people are worrying about it for 2 very separate reasons.

No one wants to get genital warts (which is what most people are posting here about) so if you have genital warts, it would just be plain ignorant not to let your partner know. IMO, if someone has genital warts, that's something that should be disclosed because that usually results in doctors visits, treatment, feeling embarrassed, etc.

If you know you have another strain of HPV because of a positive PAP test, but no warts, or not the genital kind, then that's something else, but it would still be common courtesy to tell your partner(s) so they can at least have the option of informing future partners and spare them a possible positive PAP test in their future. Again, IMO, telling is just the right thing to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

thanks for the info- i have the cancer causing kind and have never seen any warts but had one abnormal pap -i've only had one partner in the past two and a half years but we broke up and i am wondering why my doc says i don't have to tell future partners. isn't that how this gets spread? also there is no test for men so how would he know if had it or would pass another strain on to me? I would want to tell a new partner especially because i don't sleep around and get tested for things before i sleep with anyone and make him get tested as well, but don't want to freak him out either. just feeling weird about the whole situation.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

If a guy had a strain that shows symptoms, it doesn't mean he caouldn't also have the strain ( the one that doesn't show symptoms ) that causes cervical cancer.

I also think a person should be told, if they have been or would exposed to HPV.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
(female)

confusedemotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
Your info is just a little off. The claim is actually 80% of people will be exposed to it at some point in their lives . That's quite different from 80% (or whatever percent the source says) having it.

Most people will rid themselves of the virus within 2 years.

And the strains of HPV virus that are known to cause cervical cancer are not the onces that cause genital warts so people are worrying about it for 2 very separate reasons.

No one wants to get genital warts (which is what most people are posting here about) so if you have genital warts, it would just be plain ignorant not to let your partner know. IMO, if someone has genital warts, that's something that should be disclosed because that usually results in doctors visits, treatment, feeling embarrassed, etc.

If you know you have another strain of HPV because of a positive PAP test, but no warts, or not the genital kind, then that's something else, but it would still be common courtesy to tell your partner(s) so they can at least have the option of informing future partners and spare them a possible positive PAP test in their future. Again, IMO, telling is just the right thing to do.

I keep reading that you body may rid itself of the virus..how the heck do you know this for sure??? I had clean paps for years and no warts, so everyone assumed my body rid itself of it....then I had an outbreak..so really it just lays dormant, doesn't really go away... unless your refering to other HPV viruses? I'm trying to find out if the HPV virus that causes warts is contagious even when it's domant or just when there's an outbreak....I'm thinking no one really knows this.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

Has anyone had experience telling a new partner about HPV- the kind with no symptoms? i would like to hear about it. how did they react?

Last edited by healthnut76; 09-20-2005 at 08:23 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
Inactive

crayola110 HB User

I mean if a girl i was with told me she had HPV and I knew nothing about it I would be really freaked out. I like having sex without a condom at least with a partner who I've been with for over 5 months. If I could'nt do that it would hinder the relationship. I guess at that point if I really liked her I would just have to deal with it.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola110
I mean if a girl i was with told me she had HPV and I knew nothing about it I would be really freaked out. I like having sex without a condom at least with a partner who I've been with for over 5 months. If I couldn't do that it would hinder the relationship. I guess at that point if I really liked her I would just have to deal with it.
Considering wearing a condom would have little effect on the transmission of HPV (or other certain STDs), you should probably give this attitude a re-think. btw, interesting placement of priorities... lol.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

i just think it's crazy that they don't test men- but yet a man might freak out on me if i tell him about it when he may actually have it himself and could give me another strain. this situation is really hard for me because i don't sleep with random men and i always use condoms, even with boyfriends. in this situation the condom broke. i am afraid to be judged by the person i tell.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut76
i just think it's crazy that they don't test men
Except that there is no test for men. If there are no visible warts, there is nothing to test.
I think people freak out unnecessarily about HPV because they automatically think "genital warts" but only some strains of HPV are genital. There are probablly waaaay more non-genital strains than genital, and when a women gets a weird PAP result, it has nothing to do with genital warts because the strains that cause cervical cancer are definitely known to NOT be the genital type. I think in your case you should tell your partner, but make sure he understands that is has nothing to do with genital warts and that he understands that HPV is a very very common virus with over a hundred different strains etc etc.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I have HPV and the first thing I did before I had sex with my husband was tell him up front I had it. No matter what you should always tell your partner if you have STD's. It may be emberessing, but if they really care for you and love you it won't matter. It didn't matter to my husband and 5 years later he still doesn't care.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
Except that there is no test for men. If there are no visible warts, there is nothing to test.
I think people freak out unnecessarily about HPV because they automatically think "genital warts" but only some strains of HPV are genital. There are probablly waaaay more non-genital strains than genital, and when a women gets a weird PAP result, it has nothing to do with genital warts because the strains that cause cervical cancer are definitely known to NOT be the genital type. I think in your case you should tell your partner, but make sure he understands that is has nothing to do with genital warts and that he understands that HPV is a very very common virus with over a hundred different strains etc etc.
That is so true! I was just diagnosed with HPV last January after my yearly pap came back abnormal. I've been married for over 8 years and I've been with my husband for over 10 years. Who knows if I had it before I met my husband or if my husband had it before he met me. My Dr. told me that if you've ever had sex with someone most likely you'll get HPV. It can lie dormant in your body for decades before it causes a problem.
PCOS

Old 10-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

ok so how do u tell them and when do u tell a new partner- obviously before u have sex with them but when? i hope he is ok with this because i am really nervous to tell this guy i've been seeing for 5 weeks. all we've done is kiss so far but i like him and i think he's into me also.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 PM   #14
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls
I have HPV and the first thing I did before I had sex with my husband was tell him up front I had it. No matter what you should always tell your partner if you have STD's. It may be emberessing, but if they really care for you and love you it won't matter. It didn't matter to my husband and 5 years later he still doesn't care.
This is true. My boyfriend told me he had HPV before we first had sex. I liked him so much and was so attracted to him, I couldn't imagine not going forward with the relationship, so I went for it.
After I got some warts I was pretty depressed about it for a while as I was hoping for a miracle of something.
This answers the question - yes, you can still contract the virus from a person who's virus is dormant. He has/had no warts at the time.
I also keep seeing here some information about it "leaving the body". I believe this is not true. I've been told by my doctor it's incurable. Not untreatable though.
So if you show no symptoms, you still have the virus and you will have it till the rest of your life and you will put your partners at a risk of contracting it.
Sorry, this is harsh for all that were "hopeful", but that's the truth.
That is why I was so depressed about it at one point. Now I kinda forgot about it and I'm hoping my bf and I will stay together, so that I won't have to go through any hassle with telling someone.
I also think there should be no doubt about telling or not! How could you possibly make a decision yourself about somebody's health?!

Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

how long did u wait to have sex with him- when did he tell u? also did u use a condom and still get warts? i have never had warts but have had an abnormal pap but still confused about what to do and when to do it

Closed Thread