It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

Questions..HPV? HB User
HPV-anyone else out there?

I have recently been diagnosed with HPV. My doctor told me the diagnosis but had nothing else to say. I, of course, was not expecting this diagnosis and did not have a list of questions to ask him. Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed, felt scared, worried, confused?!?!?! Is it the end of the world???

Thx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: HPV-anyone else out there?

Hi. Although it may feel like it right now, it is not the end of the world. Was it diagnosed through a pap or do you have the visible warts? Did your doctor give you a treatment plan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

Questions..HPV? HB User

Hi Mom22,

Thanks for the reply. I have visible warts....the doctor said I should try Aldara for 2-4 months first and then there are other treatment options available. So I am trying that first and taking it one day at a time...

Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

That's all you can do for now. Take it one day at a time and soon you will start to feel better. And don't blame yourself. It's not your fault.

Also make sure you keep up on your paps. There is hpv (low risk) that just causes visible warts (not harmful), and hpv that can be on your cervix (high risk) which can cause dysplasia and over the years if not treated turn into cancer. They say that up to 80% of the population has been exposed to the hpv virus. Not everyone shows symptoms because their immune systems suppress it. You may have just this one outbreak and that's it. Take your vitamins, eat right, and exercise to keep your immune system up.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I was diagnosed with HPV a little over 2 years ago..... It is nothing serious so don't freak out! My doctor told me that 80% of sexually active adults will contract this STD during their life time. Mine was found during a Pap, the results came back abnormal and they did a test where they put some dye in my cervix to see if there were any warts. There were, but it was in the very first stages. They didn't give me any medicine because there isn't any cure.

But I have to get Pap smears every 6 months just to be precauious.

Good luck! I am sure you will be fine.

-Angela

Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

Questions..HPV? HB User

Thanks guys! It helps to have others to talk to!

Does anyone out there have any good news to share about being able to find a guy who understood when you told him about your diagnosis and didn't leave!

I am still young and would like to one day get married and have kids, but I don't have any idea how I would approach a guy and tell him I have HPV. Guys, do you have any opinions on how a woman should handle this in today's dating world. I know its a common virus and some people may have it without even knowing it, but it seems like most guys would run screaming if a girl told them they have it.

Has anyone out there been lucky and found someone who was willing to stick by them and marry and have kids?

Old 09-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
(female)

Quirk HB User

i was also diagnosed with hpv back in june, and i was totally stunned- although i had a visible wart, i didn't think there was any way it was actually a wart. but alas, i was wrong... i was really distraught, i am the only girl my boyfriend has been with and was thinking he'd leave me, but he's been seemingly fine with it and it hasn't affected our sex life much (only before the warts went away.) so yes, i was totally scared and freaked and stressed out, it's definately a scary thing...
anyway, they say that the strain of hpv that causes visible warts indeed is not one that gives you abnormal paps. i still have normal ones even after knowing what i have. with that being said, you can have more than one strain, one giving you warts and one that can give you an abnormal pap, but i wouldn't necessarily count on that
as for the aldara cream, i know it is way expensive, so i'll just say that i changed my diet (ate a bit healthier), took more vitamins for my immune system (because warts are a reaction to a poor immune system, which is why mine were suppresed for so long), and i started exercising. i was able to rid my warts within 4-6 weeks, probably closer to 4 though. everyone's different, but that is my advice for getting rid of those things, as well as getting to stop using aldara ASAP!!!!! i only had to buy one dosage of aldara though!
hope that helps, you'll be fine!!

Last edited by Quirk; 09-27-2005 at 09:12 PM.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
(male)

Jason_Todd HB User

That is something I have been dealing with myself. I hope there is women out there that can understand. The best way I suppose is to educate yourself so you can explain our situation the best you can. I hope that if we form a meaningful relationship with a person, they will be understanding, if not I guess it just wasn't meant to be with that person.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
(female)

Questions..HPV? HB User

Thx Mom22greatkids,

When were you diagnosed? Are you on a treatment plan, if so, does it seem to be working???

Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
(male)

gymcha HB User

Hi all,

I am in the opposite boat. I just met a girl recently that I really like. It's not a serious relationship yet, but who knows what it could develop into.

She told me she has HPV. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should persue the relationship or not. On one hand, if this woman were my soulmate, it would be an easy choice. There's no guarantee that she is, so I would hate to get the virus and then have to tell every woman I date that I have HPV.

How have people dealt with this?

Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I was diagnosed through an abnormal pap, which is the high risk strain. I did not have visible warts but dysplasia on my cervix. The changes were mild and we opted to wait 6 months and see if it cleared up on it's own. This was about 1.5 - 2 years ago. I've had paps every six months and they have been normal since. I have done tons of reading on both kinds though. I was just like you when I was diagnosed. I was really freaked out. I had heard of it before but I never knew how common it was. And it was dormant for 12 years or more, because that's how long I had been with my husband at the time.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 09-30-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Closed Thread