It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User
HPV and abnormal PAP

Do all strains of HPV cause an abnormal PAP?
I got this from my current bf. He used to have rather large warts in the hair area, but I found some very small ones in the inside of the vagina. Is that the same virus causing different type of symtoms or could he have more strains?
Thanks

Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
(female)

cincbcat HB User
Re: HPV and abnormal PAP

Not all strains of HPV cause an abnormal Pap. Do you know for sure you have HPV, have you had an abnormal pap? Are you sure his warts are caused by HPV and not herpes? It is possible to have more than one strain, but there aren't any tests available for men, so there really is no way to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mr.G HB User

you can get warts from herpes? Never heard of that.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

cincbcat HB User

I know genital warts and genital herpes are two different things, but I have friends who have not known what exactly they were dealing with and have confused genital warts and herpes. They think HPV and the herpes virus are the same thing. I was simply asking for the sake of that.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincbcat
Are you sure his warts are caused by HPV and not herpes?
This sentence is a little weird. Nothing like bad grammar to confuse things. ALL warts are caused by HPV. Herpes does not cause warts or look like warts. If you are asking if maybe the warts he has are actually herpes because he is confused, maybe a little rewording would have helped, that's all.

As for the original question, not all strains will result in an abnormal PAP result. The same as not all strains can eventually result in cervical cancer if left untreated.

Usually genital warts like to stay in that area, and other strains like other types of skin (or areas). If he had some in his pubic hair, but not on his genitals, it's unlikely it's the same strain that has shown up in your vagina. There are well over a hundred strains, and they are very common.

Also, saying there are not tests for men is a little off, because if a guy has a visible wart, then there is something to test. When they say there is no test, it means there is no test when there are no visible warts, i.e. there is no blood test.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

yes but they do not test in men if there is no visible wart and they do not test for the kind that cause abnormal paps

Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User

Yes, that is partially true too.
Thanks for the replies! We are definitely sure, what he had were warts. I guess he may have had another strain that showed up inside the vagina.
A couple more questions:
Will the strain that showed up in my vagina likely cause an abnormal pap, since it's on the inside?
How come after more then 9 months I still didn't get the ones that he had on the outside?
Is it likely that I might not get those? What's the incubation time for HPV?
thanks!

Old 10-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruckgrl
Will the strain that showed up in my vagina likely cause an abnormal pap, since it's on the inside?
From what I have read, the strains that cause genital warts are not the kind that cause cervical cancer (I believe they have identified 5 strains that cause cerv. cancer, some more common than others, some more 'deadly' than others, so which of these strains is important too, that's why they do DNA testing now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruckgrl
How come after more then 9 months I still didn't get the ones that he had on the outside? Is it likely that I might not get those? What's the incubation time for HPV?
The incubation period is supposed to be something like 3-8 weeks. How do you know the ones he had on the outside aren't the same strain as what you have? Since men don't have an "inside", and your inside and his outside are both part of the genitals, couldn't they be from the same strain?

Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
How do you know the ones he had on the outside aren't the same strain as what you have? Since men don't have an "inside", and your inside and his outside are both part of the genitals, couldn't they be from the same strain?
Well, I don't know. How could you tell? I guess it's hard to test since he doesn't have any right now...

Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
(female)

marriedvictim HB User
Wink Re: HPV and abnormal PAP

As far as abnormal paps, make sure the doctor giving the exam knows of your hpv because there is a different swab or thing they look for and this will help cut down on the abnormal come back. it took a painful biopsy for me to fiqure this one out. hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User

Hey,

I got a test and I did not have an abnormal pap and I did not show the virus in my body but I had warts so it just goes to show you that you can still have them even with a negative test. There are so many conflicting ideas about this STD and that is why 80% of the population carries it. I assumed because I had a negative pap/test that the little bump that I had was not a wart. I was wrong and continued having unprotected sex with my boyfriend ( though I am pretty sure he is the one that gave it to me). I did not know. I even called the clinic a month after my tests to ask questions and they assured me that my test was negative. The truth is that the girl talking to me probably did not know the difference either. Goes to show you that you must educate yourself about STD's and do the best you can to always protect yourself.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBU
I got a test and I did not have an abnormal pap and I did not show the virus in my body but I had warts so it just goes to show you that you can still have them even with a negative test.
Yes. PAP smears aren't looking for HPV, they are looking for abnormal cells on your cervix that can be caused by HPV. You can have HPV in your body without having abnormal cells on your cervix, and then your PAP would come back normal despite the fact that you are carrying HPV. A normal PAP does not mean that you don't have HPV.

Closed Thread