It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User
Calling All HPV Informants and Analysts!

Hey,

I found this board and I am really glad that I did. It has helped me. I wanted to tell my story cuz I am really scared right now and not really sure where else to go.

So about two months ago I noticed a tiny bump ( size of a pen tip)on the inside of one of my vaginal lips. No blister, No sore, No itching. It is raised and skin color. To be honest with myself, it looks like a wart, I think. I freaked out and made an appointment at the free clinic to get tested. I usually get tested every six months. I have been in a relationship since April and it started to get a bit more serious about three months ago. We started having unprotected sex. I was stupid and did not talk to my boyfriend about his sexual past. When I did, he told me that he had never been tested for anything and that I had been his first partner since his last girlfriend (last oct, 2004). I have had three partners in the last year (before him and none after) but they were all one time occurences and used condoms ( not the best luck with men this year) I went to the clinic three days later and when I went to show the nurse what I was concerned about, the bump was gone.

Well I got all of the tests and they were "negative". About a month later the same bump came back. I was really concerned and called my clinic to talk to them about the tests. She said that I did not have HPV, yadda yadda. Now a few weeks later, I am still worried after researching and finding out that I was only tested for the cancerous strain. ( I was never told this) And that it is still possible that I may have HPV. I finally came out and told my boyfriend what I was scared about. I was misinformed and thought that getting a negative test result was good enough. He said that he has never noticed anything abnormal about his penis. So now I am going to the clinic with him on Tues to get us both tested for everything (though I was just tested two months ago) and to have this thing looked at.

Now we are concerned with who has passed it to whom? He is very supportive and after all of the research we have done, it seems like we will never really know. Or worse, that we could have never prevented because neither of us had any symptoms. I kind of thought that he was the most likely person since a little over a month after the unprotected sex, it appeared. More importantly, I am the one with symptoms and he has none, so how can I be sure that he is even infected? Are we just supposed to not have sex and wait to see IF something pops up on him?

He keeps saying that with all of the unprotected sex that we have been having, it is likely that he has it too, if he was not the one to give it to me originally but this is not cool with me. I want to protect him if he is not already infected but with no test for men, what are my options?

He keeps saying that we should wait to see what it is first and then discuss these options. I have been doing a lot of research and I am pretty sure that this is what I have. I know that I am not a doctor but it does not seem right to me. I think that I have convinced myself, this is what it is and I am preparing for the worst.

If I do have HPV do I have to stop having sex until it is removed or gone? Can I spread it from touching it and then touching somewhere else? I have found so many conflicting answers about this virus and it is all very disheartening especially since he has no symptoms and we will not know if he gave me the virus or not?

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I know that I should wait to see what the doctor says...I KNOW THIS but, please give me some advice about it now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

melis_03 HB User
Re: Calling All HPV Informants and Analysts!

I don't think you have warts. They usually come in clusters, and it wouldn't have come and gone in 3 days. I'm not even sure that they go away on their own. If you do, I know it will probably make you feel awful. But the HPV strain that causes warts is completly harmless, and after awhile your body will fight it off. Or at least it will no longer be contagious. The nurse probably told you that you didn't have warts, not because of any tests but because the wart would have still been there. But I will say that your boyfriend sounds very cool about everything. Awhile back I was scared that I had clamydia and was too scared to say anything to my BF. Turns out I had bacterial vaginosis. But I still think you were brave for going to him, it's hard to open up about stuff like that.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User

Hey Melis,

Thanks for the advice. I went to the doctor today and it was confirmed that I do have warts.. She put some stuff on them to burn them off. I was not that surprised, I was prepared after all of the research that I did. I was pretty sure that it was warts. My boyfriend is great and really supportive. He just said sorry if he was the one that gave it to me. What sucks is that we have been having unprotected sex cuz I did not know enough about the virus and thought i was clear after the first test came back positive. The doc told me that there is an 80% chance that he carries it or now carries it. It does all suck. I am trying to just get through and heal so that I can get on with my life. I feel a lot better after everything that I learned about it. I will continue to educate myself so that I can educate others. I am also glad that I joined this board as well. Thanks for the advice. Take care

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

marriedvictim HB User

Sorry of your situation but i'm glad you did research. I just wanted to share information i have for all others who read. Did you know it is possible to get HPV (the virus that causes warts) even using condoms. The warts can be places the condom don't cover or protect. This is also a virus you could have and never show any symptoms of. This goes to show it's good to get tested even if you don't show any signs of having anything.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

Quirk HB User

well, i just have to say that i found a bump a few months ago on my pereneum, about a half-centimeter long, and there were no other accompanying bumps. because there was just one, i convinced myself it wasn't a wart. but lo and behold, it was. warts can come singly or in big clusters, it's all an immune system thing. when i found out i had hpv, i was completely distraught and stressed, which caused more to come about. i was prescribed aldara cream, i changed my eating habits to be healthier, and i started running everyday. the other warts that showed up disappeared very quickly, and the big one has gone away as well. so it is possible to have the warts be gone very quickly!

also, despite everything i read about warts taking 2-6 months to show themselves, i have been with the same guy for about 3 years, and i am the only girl he's ever been with (and i know he hasn't cheated on me!) the doctors told me that i could have gotten hpv the first time i had sex (at age 15) and it showed up years later. again, my immune system got crappy on me and the things showed up.

you can still pass it along, even when it is "dormant," but it is much less contagious. even so, not that this totally makes it better, but if your boyfriend was to get it, nothing would happen to him except he'd get warts. girls have to worry about cervical cancer (with certain strains) but the only thing i've heard that could possibly happen to guys, other than warts, is penile cancer, and that is *extremely* rare.

my boyfriend and i waited until they were dormant again (even though there is a really great chance of him having it, because we've had unprotected sex in the past), but we still have sex and it has not affected our relationship too much so it is possible for life to go on!! no matter how hard it may seem right now..

Closed Thread