It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User
Question Oral sex and HPV

What are the risks? My boyfriend has given me lots of oral sex while I had the warts... I did not know. What are the risks? I know that it is slim that it could happen. I have given him lots of oral sex as well. My doctor said something about a dental dam? What the hell... i do not want to do that.. is my sex life supposed to suck now because of this? Any stats that anybody knows on this would be greatly appreciated. What are the risks of us getting warts in our mouths when neither of us has a break out?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User
Re: Oral sex and HPV

While it's possible to contract HPV orally, it's very, very rare and generally only happens if that person is severely immunocompromised, i.e. with advanced AIDS. I certainly wouldn't stress out about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Chrissy, I read your other post and since you didn't have many I wouldn't worry. It's possible to get warts in the mouth and throat from oral sex, but extremely rare. From what I've read from you, I think you really have NOTHING to worry about. Don't stress

Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

There is little risk of having the warts show up in either of your mouths because they are genital warts. That's where they will show up if he gets them. And assuming he has touched your genitals with other parts of his body, like his hands, you can pretty well assume he's got the virus now too, regardless of whether he gets the warts.

This is an STD, one that is very common but that doesn't mean people don't mind if they get it. You should be practicing safe sex, which in your case requires a barrier method. Having the attitude "is my sex life supposed to suck now" is a little irresponsible. What if it were herpes or syphillis? I'm sure your bf won't be thrilled if some warts show up on his penis and he has to have them treated, or worse, he has them treated and they won't go away...

Last edited by Thisby; 11-02-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: can't type...

Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User

Hey,

thanks for the replies. NO! THISBY! Of course we will practice safe sex. I was just asking about the oral part. Well, if he is not the one that gave it to me I think that he is more than likely to have it not since we were having frequent unprotected sex when I had warts present and did not know that is what they were warts. I do plan on being responsible. I have drug induced lupus....a rare case that is very mild so my immune system is sometimes lower than others when I am having a flare. I had been having a small one when the warts appeared.. but I had not had one for almost 4 years before that. I have to take extra good care of myself during this time. I go back for another treatment in two weeks. My other question is obviously, we cannot have sex while they are being treated but what about after. How long should we wait? What happens if they do not go away right away? No sex for months, years? Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Two things: first, he more than likely already has the virus, I don't think you should now go to any great lengths to protect him. Second, while you may get rid of the warts themselves, you will still carry the virus until your body decides to get rid of it on its own (there is no cure, only wart removal). This means either of you may carry the virus for years, or get rid of them in no time. There is no way to know for sure.

(Acutally, you could just wait for the warts to disappear by themselves, which means your body has gotten rid of the virus, but if you have them treated, it's not the same thing. But I doubt anybody w/warts would want to do that.)

And this I'm not sure about, but I was under the impression that once you've gotten rid of a particular strain of the virus, you won't get it again? Isn't this what the principle of the HPV vaccine is based on? So if you both have it, there is nothing more you can or need to do in terms of protecting yourselves from each other. (Does that make sense?)

Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
(female)

ChrissyBU HB User

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I know and he knows that he more than likely has it or gave it to me. I think that at first, the condoms give him a false sense of security. I do not know anything about a vaccine but I would love to know more. I will start researching. It would make sense to me that if you get rid of a virus, this means that you body has built antibodies to protect you from it or it does not affect your system anymore and you are not contagious. But you never really know. I got a piece of paper from the clinic about the warts and it said to not have sex with the warts even though I have been for the last two months not knowing it. Well I am sore from the removal so sex is not a real option at this point anyways. I just was wondering how long they "typically" take to heal. I know that everyone is different.. I have to go back in two weeks to have another dose of the acid. fun fun. I assumed that most people have them removed? I was under the impression that I had no choice and that they would continue to spread if I did not have them treated? Is this not the case? I have 3 tiny little ones and at first, I did not care that they were there and was not considering going to great lengths to have them removed but when I went to the clinic, she just put it right on. thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread