It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

lalu2005 HB User
conflicting advice re hpv

can anyone answer these questions please

i had an abnormal smear 10 years ago have had only one mild outbreak of one external wart in all that time. i have a new partner and need to know the answers to these questions.

1. will i have this virus for life? cause some say yes and others say the body will eventually get rid ov it.
2. when a person has this virus does it mean u can no longer have unprotected sex again ever?
3. does it mean u can never have oral sex again cause the virus even with no outbreaks can be passed on?
4. when i havnt got an outbreak does that mean a partner is much less likely to catch it?

theres such conflicting advice being given re some postings im a little confused. thanx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: conflicting advice re hpv

Hi. It's likely that you have two strains of the virus. The kind that causes an abnormal pap is on your cervix and can only be diagnosed through a pap/colposcopy. Did you have any treatment 10 years ago? Have you been having normal paps since? Another type of hpv is the type that causes external warts. Yes, you will always have the virus. However, your immune system may and hopefully will supress it and you may never see it again.

If you have a new partner it is possible that you may be exposed to different strains of the virus from your partner and get new symtoms or another abnormal pap. (Or hopefully your immune systems keeps it under check.) Condoms do not prevent it as it is a skin to skin virus. But I'm sure you know it's best to use condoms as it prevents so many other std's. I'm not sure what you mean about the oral sex question but you can't get hpv on your genitals from oral sex. Most people do not get hpv in their mouths from oral sex. It usually is only seen in people with compromised immune systems. But I'm sure there are other things you may be able to get by having unprotected oral sex. Talk to your partner about everything and be safe. Hope I've answered some of your questions.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 11-27-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread