It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

lalu2005 HB User
test for female hpv?

10 years ago i had an abnormal smear- scince then ive had one recent mild outbreak ov one tiny external wart.
1.should i have a test to c what strain ov virus? i mean will i have this for life this latent virus?
2. now i have no outbreak at all im totally clear is it ok to have unprotected sex and unprotected oral sex now with bf?
thanx

Old 11-25-2005, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hazel_Eyes HB User
Re: test for female hpv?

First of all how long have you been outbreak free?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Oceanus HB User

You can never get rid of HPV, no matter which type it is. It is your moral responsibility to let anyone you have sex with know you have HPV. And yes, you should want to know which kind you have because some types raise your risk of developing cervical cancer, while other strains do not. If you have the type that does raise your risk of cervical cancer then it is important to get regular pap smears, maybe every 6 months, but at least once a year.

I'm assuming when you had that abnormal pap smear test that is when you found out you had HPV? If so, they should have found out which type. I'm sure your boyfriend(s) might want to know this information as well. I'm not sure if you can pass on HPV through oral sex, but you can through unprotected vaginal sex. Ask your doctor about that.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanus
You can never get rid of HPV, no matter which type it is.
This is completely untrue. Most people DO completely get rid of the HPV virus within 2 years. This type if misinformation is very negative and unhelpful. If it has been 2 years since your last wart or abnormal PAP, you're clear as far as the medical community is concerned.

As for the obligation to tell your partner, certainly, if it was within the recent past, but since HPV is not something people carry around for life, there is no point in mentioning it as if you still have it. Especially since chances are the partner has already been exposed to it.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
This is completely untrue. Most people DO completely get rid of the HPV virus within 2 years. This type if misinformation is very negative and unhelpful. If it has been 2 years since your last wart or abnormal PAP, you're clear as far as the medical community is concerned.

As for the obligation to tell your partner, certainly, if it was within the recent past, but since HPV is not something people carry around for life, there is no point in mentioning it as if you still have it. Especially since chances are the partner has already been exposed to it.
Actually, the person posting WAS correct in a way. No one "completely" gets rid of the virus. It stays in your body, just dormant. I think what you are thinking of is the immunity most people build to it. The strains that cause genital warts are the viruses that the body usually builds an immunity to in 2 years. Some people less, some more. But the virus never "goes away". It IS something people carry around for life as just because your body has built it's immunity, does not mean the people you are currently having sexual relations with have an immunity to it. There is a great article that Cornell has out on their site not too long ago regarding this. Also, your doctor can explain the immunity process to you if you ask. There are also recommended ways of building up your bodies immune system that do work

Old 11-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

My point is that she is no longer infectious. Like someone who has had polio or chickenpox, it is no longer necessary for them to go around saying they have the polio or chickenpox virus.

Oceanus was implying that the person is infectious for life. Not true.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

True. Research shows that a few years after your last outbreak, it's not as common to spread the virus, possible, just not common. Once you reach a certain point (years without an outbreak) it's rare if not impossible to spread the virus.

Although, a sobering thought, some people who think they are clear of outbreaks (in family experience, haven't had an outbreak in 17 years) can suddenly get an outbreak if you contract an illness that severely lowers your immune system.

Just always practice safe sex and if you are with someone you plan on committing yourself to, both of you should talk with a dr about the possibility of giving it to that person. Before I got married, I had my husband come into my dr's appointment with me so he could ask any questions he had. I found out some great info then too so it was good for the both of us.

Closed Thread