It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User
hpv causes dysplasia hysterctomy?

i have hpv i just had surgery to remove the genital warts but from what i am understanding is that i also have a second strain that is causing my paps to come back abnormal.i have had cyrosurgery and that did not take care of the cervix.i have had paps every 3 months this year and all are abnormal.my doctor has advised me i have 2 choices one is where i would undergo outpatient surgery and he would scrape layers off my cervix then have to come back every 3 months for paps and its possible that i would have to have that done again or i can have a hysterctomy ( i also have persistent pelvic pain before my period and my periods put me down for a couple days).i was wondering if anyone has had the procedure where they scrape the cervix and how that turned out.a hysterctomy really scares me alot.im 41 and have had 3 surgeries already due to fibroids on my ovaries.im not sure what to do.i have to make my decision by the 5th because dr says i need to get this taken care of asap.any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
tami

Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User
Re: hpv causes dysplasia hysterctomy?

I have had surgery to burn the cells off the cervix and also a second surgery to cut away a section of cells from the cervix.

Both of these treatments were unpleasant at the time but I felt fine again after 24 hours. The only problem is that the cells can re-appear again any time so you do have to have regular paps afterwards to check.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Tami, the LEEP procedure (where they scrape the cervix) is really a biopsy. If it comes back cancerous, then they discuss different ways to combat it. I'm sorry, your post confused me a little. Did you say you are getting the hysterectomy before you had the LEEP?? I've never heard of them doing this if they don't have biopsy results. My aunt went through this a few years ago, and now I'm going through this (it stinks!) so I know what you're going through. My DR gave topical anesthetic during the procedure and I felt NOTHING until a few hours after. Then I had intense menstrual like cramps, with a little bleeding. My DR told me to just use panty liners for the day and by that night I was done bleeding with just minor cramping, which Ibuprofen took care of.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

Hi,
I Did Have A Biopsy Twice And After That My Doctor Did Mention The Leep Procedure As A Choice To Treatment.i Had No Idea That It Was A Diagnostic Procedure.he Said I Could Either Have The Leep Or A Hysterctomy.he Said If I Had The Leep I May Have To Have Another One If I Still Had The Dysplasia And Have Paps Every 3 Months.he Said The Leep Is Where He Would Go In And Scrape A Layer Off My Cervix And That May Or Maynot Take Care Of It.i Dont Want To Be In Surgery A Couple More Times If I Dont Have To But Im Also Very Scared To Have A Hysterctomy.thanks For Your Info Because I Am Very Confused About All This Hpv Stuff.
Tami

Old 12-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
(female)

threethings HB User

correct me if i'm wrong but even if you have a hysterectomy, a part of your cervix is still left and you can still have abnormal cells??

Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I need to edit what I posted earlier, the LEEP procedure can be used for an additional biopsy. The bad area in the cervix is taken off in an attempt to remove all the dysplasia but that tissue can also be biopsied (is that a word? lol you know what I mean). I know a close friend of my mothers has had the LEEP 3 times. I've only had it once, and still have abnormal cells, but since I'm pregnant, I can't get the procedure done again right now. As long as it doesn't spread, I don't see why you couldn't just have the LEEP done a few times (if necessary) instead of the hysterectomy. But that is something that you need to address with your doctor since everyones case is not the same. My mothers friend that I mentioned, decided against the hysterectomy and is going to continue with the LEEP procedures if needed because she wanted so badly to have a baby (she's currently 7 months pregnant ).. Her pap before she became pregnant was abnormal, then she had a pap at 3 months to monitor and it was normal. That's the same way mine turned out. They say that being pregnant is good because it "flushes or fights something in your system". I'm not sure if that's medically correct but that's what I've been told, I don't know any research information on that. I would just address the LEEP with your dr instead of the hysterectomy if you really don't want to go down that road. Hopefully in your situation that will work out for you Keep me posted as to how you are doing

Closed Thread