It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
Question about HPV

I had an abnormal pap last July (my first ever). I have previously only been with two guys - the first being someone who was a total virgin (we got together in high school) and other was someone who had been with 2 girls prior to me. A little over a year later, I had the abnormal pap at my 6-week check up after having my son.

I contacted the guy who I'm sure I got it from, and we've been keeping in touch. He recently let me know that he contacted his past sexual partners and they both said that they've had STD screenings done (which I know doesn't usually include an HPV test) and they came back negative, and neither have ever had abnormal paps. Now I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything because with HPV, some women may never even get abnormal paps, and with others it can take years and years for it to show as an abnormal pap. But it's just got me wondering if maybe there was some other cause for my abnormal pap? I had a colposcopy after the pap and the doctor said she only saw one small area that didn't look exactly right and I had cryotherapy to treat it.

Is that always from HPV? Or could it have something to do with just having had a baby? I know that a healing cervix can cause an abnormal one, but could it also cause a small area to look that way, and for the actual cells to be abnormal? I'm absolutely 100% I didn't get it from the other guy. If I have it, I got it from the second guy. (The first guy and I later got back together and had the baby, but trust me on this - it's not from him.)

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cambria; 01-09-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Question about HPV

Hi. I'm sure there are other causes but most abnormal paps are caused by HPV, I think 90-something percent. Usually when your pap comes back abnormal (especially if the ThinPrep was done) it is automatically tested for hpv. You may want to ask your doctor if it was tested. Sometimes they don't even tell you because it is so common. Your being pregnant lowers your immune system and that may have given the opportunity for the hpv to show up. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 01-09-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

cambria HB User

I must not have had the ThinPrep pap because I specifically asked my doctor if an HPV test was going to be done with my pap, and she said no, that they usually don't test for it because it's expensive, and since I'm married, that I'd probably already given it to my husband and there wasn't a risk of me passing it on to others. She also said a big reason for not testing is that it usually IS hpv. I dunno, I thought her reasoning was kind of weird, but it's true, I wouldn't have been able to afford it (don't have insurance). I've since moved since I was treated and have my follow-up pap in a couple weeks, so I'll ask my new dr. about it also.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hope everything turns out ok with your next pap. If you can, ask your new doctor how much more the thin prep is. It is a better test.

Closed Thread