It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

br0wniecrombie HB User
hpv

hi all,

In June of 2005 I found warts on my vagina and got them removed, which left terrible scars.... Ive havent had a break out since.. and had 3 paps done from that time to this present time, the last one was a few weeks ago. and everytime, they come back negative for anything.... Am I clear of this virus? I have so many questions running thru my mind and I really dont understand this disease at all..should i tell my future sex partners.. yeah i now I should, but whats the chances that they have it to and not even know? Bleh I dont know what to think.... thanks for reading....

Old 03-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: hpv

It's a virus, not a disease. Not that that makes much difference to how people feel about it. Also, you have/had a strain that people are a little more leery of - the genital warts kind. It's one thing to have an HPV strain that give you foot warts, or no warts, but I think potential partners would be really annoyed if they caught genital warts. The only kind I'd be more annoyed with is the type that is directly linked to cervical cancer.

While it's true that there are strains that cause no warts which means people could have it w/o knowing it, but I think in this case (where the virus produced detectable genital warts) assuming they may already have it isn't fair.

Could you ask your doctor if there's a specific test to see if the virus is still active in your body? Getting a PAP test only looks for changes in the cells of the cervix, one of the results of certain strains of HPV, but doesn't say anything about the presence of the virus in general (it's correctly assumed that if you have cervical changes, that you have HPV). Mainly, not all strains cause cervical cell changes, so getting a clear PAP isn't a definite 'all clear'. I hope I've made sense, I'm tired...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
(male)

Jt7054 HB User

Opinions vary, but Ive been told by two different doctors that if I havent had an outbreak in several years, the chances of me spreading it are really really low (like less than 1%).

I still tell people anyway. Id hate to end up with someone long term and have them eventually catch it. Id then have to tell this person that I knew I had it. Nope, I dont want to deal with that situation. Better to be honest.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

HPV does not go away! It lives in your body and can outbreak at any time. Some never do like myself. I only had outbreaks when I was pg with my kids, besides the first initial outbreak.

It is best to get your yearly pap smear to make sure your cervix is nice and healthy!

Closed Thread