It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

BlackAmex HB User
Colposcopy and HPV

I'm going in tomorrow for a colposcopy, after being told today I have low grade mild dysplasia, associated with HPV. She said most likely, in fact she practically assured me, that this wasn't cancer. From what I've read there are over 100 kinds of HPV, 75% of the population has it at one time, that not all lead to cancer or warts, that often it goes away on its own. Is this correct? And does this mean I have genital warts now? I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I know I can ask my doctor all this tomorrow but I know I'll be up all night and am searching for all info I can get. But has anyone experienced this and have any advice? I'm pretty terrified, honestly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
(female)

CapChick HB User
Wink Re: Colposcopy and HPV

There are 2 types...high risk = no warts just abnormal cells and Low risk= warts. It sounds like you have high risk (thats what i was diagnosed with). That is why it is so important to go get a pap every year to catch this because with high risk HPV you would never know you have it unless you get a pap.

Isnt it nice to hear that HPV is so common? This really helped me realize that it wasnt such a big deal and if watched should cause no major problems and will go away!

As far as the colposcopy...uncomforatble!! All they do is take little "snippets" from your cervix but they are a bit uncomfortable...they feel like period cramps.

This is the point where i am now...i have had 2 abnormal paps in 1 year and a colposcopy inbetween those. I am having a hard time getting an answer about how often you need a colposcopy. I heard that you DO NOT need one between every abnormal pap, but im not getting a straight answer from anyone.

I was a bit shocked with my HPV news, but soon you will realize that everything is going to be ok and that you are lucky that it wasnt something worse. The hardest part for me was deciding if and when and how i was going to tell my boyfriend. My advice...know your facts and practice!!

I hope i was a help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread