It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

western_fayette HB User
Question HPV, CINII-Long Post

Hello all,
This is my first post here. This is such a supportive and informative board. I had my first abnormal pap when I was 19, I'm now 25. When I was 19, I only had one abnormal pap and my gyn told me I had HPV. At that time I didn't know that there were low risk and high risk types, didn't worry too much about it and life went on. Since then, I have had normal paps. Then, this past Nov. my pap came back as ASCUS. My gyn said it could just be an infection and would do a re-pap in March. That's when I requested I get tested for what strand of HPV I have. He said I could test for low risk and high risk but not a specific strand. Anyway, the re-pap came back as abnormal again and that I have high risk HPV. The gyn performed a colpo and the results came back as having minimally abnormal cells with the surface of the cervix "inconclusive" as to CINII. My gyn does not have the best bedside manner, and I waited over two weeks for my colp results because he was on vacation. So, he suggests that we treat it as being minimally abnormal by not doing anything now, but follow-up like it's CINII and to do a re-pap in 4 months. It just seems like, especially after reading some posts, that things could drastically change by then. What would you guys do? Would you go to a gyn-oncologist for 2nd opinion or I am I being paranoid? I have a HMO referral plan but I will go through that process if I must. I keep thinking, ok, so I wait 4 months and get a re-pap and it comes back abnormal and then what? Start the whole process over again? And then on the other hand, I don't want to get a LEEP if there isn't a need to. I was told by a past gyn that I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) but this gyn said I don't. Does anyone have PCOS, HPV high risk plus had the LEEP and still conceived? Everything gets so confusing. Thank you for any and all advice! By the way, is "minimally abnormal cells" CINI? Sorry for the long post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: HPV, CINII-Long Post

I'm in the same position as you are. My gyno assures me that waiting is fine, because it usually takes many years for CIN I or II to progress to cancer. And most of the time, CIN I resolves all by itself within a year. It's very unusual for it to progress quickly in a short amount of time, especially if you've had a colpo. A PAP isn't nearly as accurate, so it could appear that the cells progressed quickly when it really just didn't pick up the dysplasia the first time.

You do not need to see a gyn-onc if you've only got mild to moderate dysplasia. It can be easily treated by a regular gyno. Mild dysplasia is very common and gynos treat it all the time.

If I were you, I wouldn't have the LEEP until you need it, if you want to have children in the future. Why take the risk if it's not necessary, you know?

Old 04-08-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
(female)

western_fayette HB User

Thank you Timber. I really appreciate your reply. That is exactly how I feel, why take the risk if its not necessary. So, what happens if the re-pap comes back as abnormal? Do I get another colpo? So, does minimally abnormal cells mean CINI do you think? THANK YOU again for your reply. It helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

CIN I is minimally abnormal yeah.

If it comes back as still mildly abnormal, then you continue to have re-PAPs for a year to see if it resolves (and it often does). If, however, it starts to get worse, then you do another colpo.

I had my re-PAP last week and they couldn't tell if things were getting worse or not so they wanted to be safe and I'm getting another colpo. SIGH. Colpos are no fun.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

western_fayette HB User

Thanks Timber, good luck at your colpo on Monday. You will be in my thoughts.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
(female)

zoota HB User

I would just like to say that your gyno sounds like he doesn't care. I got the same thing over the years from my gynos. I told them my symptoms, but they just said that they were normal. I got to the point where no one would listen. The last time I went to a gyno was in 1998. I didn't go and see anyone until 2004, when the pain was so bad that I couldn't stand it. I went to planed parenthood and saw a nurse practitioner. She knew just by looking at me that I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, did a pap, and came back with HGSIL CINII, precancerous cells and cervical dysplasia. I had colposcopy, and then the leep. Leep cleared up the HPV. I was then sent to and Endocronologist (Hormone Doctor) and found out that I also have Endometriosis. Sorry for the long post....I guess what I am saying is that you should get a second opinion.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

becks77 HB User

here in england follow up paps are done at six monthly intervals, so im sure a four month wait will cause no harm (from my first abnormal pap-which was performed early sep 06) to when i got results (8 weeks on) and then when i actually had my colpo (a further 6 weeks later) it was 14 weeks/3 1/2 months!

my initial colpo and biopsy returned as minimal abnormal cells,w hich i have since translated to CINI, and i was placed on six monthly review.

however my gyno told me that if i continue dto have mild cells which did not heal tehmselves she would fter a period of tiem look at a leep.

as it was my second colpo and pap, in may this year, came back as CINIII.

i had a leep performe din june, and that came back CINII, and HGSIL. So try not to worry, the results of teh pap are an indication if something is wrong, what is important is taht if the gyno sees a problem becoming worse - i knew on teh day of teh colpo becaus eshe said how far more cells were showing damaged - that they then act on it. teh key to fighting dysplasia is regular check ups.

there is no cure at the end of teh day, although yoru body can learn how to fight it. often with mild dysplasia it can be that your body immune system isnt as good as normal (as those of us with hpv have probably carried it "silently" for a number of years).

Closed Thread