It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

jenny17 HB User
Question Does HPV Go Away?

I'm very confused about HPV in general. I got two abnormal pap smears. After which, my doctor performed a colposcopy, which came back fine. I kept getting abnormal paps, and I got another colposcopy, and the doctor seemed shocked that the 2nd colposcopy came back fine. So I have to get paps every 6 months, which I do. In September of 2004, my gyno told me that I had HPV. I didn't know that there were so many diff. strains of the disease, so I never inquired about what strain it was, etc. I just continued to get my pap tests every 6 months and assumed that I'd have this disease forever. I have a new doctor now, who has all of my medical records. She told me that my body will rid itself of the virus (as long as my immune system stays good and healthy) anywhere between 2 and 4 years. I have never had any warts, so I assume that the strain I have is one that does not cause genital warts. Is this the case for all or only certain strains of HPV? I've read that there is no cure for genital warts. It's all just extremely confusing. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Does HPV Go Away?

My gynecologist tells me that although they USED to think that HPV was with you for life, the most recent research suggests that your body will fight off HPV within a few years. That's what she tells me, and I assume she keeps up with the new information in the field, but I haven't read the literature myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
(male)

Jt7054 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
My gynecologist tells me that although they USED to think that HPV was with you for life, the most recent research suggests that your body will fight off HPV within a few years. That's what she tells me, and I assume she keeps up with the new information in the field, but I haven't read the literature myself.
Ive read some similar things, but from what Ive read, you always have the viurs, but your body fights it off to a point that its completely dormant and not contagious at that point. Not sure how correct that is though... just what Ive read in some articles.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

milly123 HB User

hey people... to answer the question about if it goes away welll .... No.. sadly it never goes away.. it may stay dormant in your body and not be contagious just like the other person said but once ur immune system goes down it comes back.. thay call hpv the emotional disease cause when ur emotional balance falls out of place you can get the warts again or what ever symptoms again.. also there may be good news..bill gates and his wife melinda gates are working on a cure for hpv ..it's supposed to come out in 2008 ..lets pray it does..!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-01-2006 at 08:25 AM.

Closed Thread