It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User
Ascus and HPV

Found out yesterday my abnormal pap is Asucs and positive for HPV. Due for a colposcopy next week. I think the paper I seen at the doctor said high risk HPV. The doctor didn't tell me much because she wasn't my regular doctor.
HPV is a STD right? Well it's been over 6 years since I have been with anybody other than my husband. I know he's not cheating. He never leaves the house. I read online it can lay dormant for years? But for 6 years or longer?
I will always have this right? If it's the one that causes cervical cancer, if the cancer is "cured" does the virus stay there?
Now this means my husband has it too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Ascus and HPV

Go visit the cervical and ovarian healthboards forum. There are many of us who have been through what you're going through.

HPV is an STD. It can survive dormant in your system for many years (for life for some people). Yes, your husband almost definitely has HPV as well because it's extremely easy to pass. You won't always have it necessarily. New research shows that the virus is usually fought off by the body after some years.

Don't feel any shame or embarassment. Fully 80-90% of sexually active people have HPV. Basically, if you have sex you have HPV. However, some strains are more dangerous than others (more likely to cause cancer).

Precancerous changes in your cervix are called dysplasia. You don't have cancer yet, you have dysplasia. Curing the dysplasia (or cancer) does not get rid of the HPV. It merely removes the abnormal cells created by the virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User

If it's dormant, does it show positive if and when tested for it?
I'm not sure what strain of it I have. I THINK the paper said high risk HPV. I will find out more next week when I see my regular doctor. The doctor I seen yesterday was so busy and didn't take much time explaining or telling me anything.
Is HPV something they test for if and when pregnant?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

No. They do not test for HPV when pregnant. They really only test for HPV when you have an abnormal PAP smear, although that may change soon because new testing techniques are being shown to be useful.

Closed Thread