It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

BlackAmex HB User
How long does HPV take to show as dysplasia?

I'm just wondering if I could have been exposed to it as early as 6 months ago - would it have already caused this dysplasia?

Old 05-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: How long does HPV take to show as dysplasia?

HPV doesn't always cause dysplasia, and while I don't have any actual knowledge on that I would say yes, it could in 6 months. Mine was moderate and severe by the time I had my first pap and I had only been sexually active for 8 months. I haven't ever actually read anything backing this up though. I do you can get HPV other ways. HPV is the same virus that causes warts on children. There are just different strains.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

ilovesporty HB User
Re: How long does HPV take to show as dysplasia?

I don't have any research based knowledge either, but I would say that depending on the strain of HPV, it is possible that dysplasia could develop in 6 months time, especially if it is mild to moderate. Again, this is just my opinion, not based on fact! I don't think anyone (including doctors) has any hard science to say exactly how long it takes to "get" dysplasia. I do know that I was dx'd with HPV more than 5 years before I got cancer, but I never had an abnormal pap before. So, in my case, I went from no dysplasia (at least that showed up on a pap) to cancer in a little over a year. Anyway, to answer your question, I guess it's possible.

Take care!

Closed Thread