It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kia3238 HB User
Arrow HPV, so scared!

I have HPV and I know it can cause cervical cancer. Isn't there anything I can do??? Aren't there any treatments available? I do go to the gyne as they recommend but I feel there should be something I can personally do.

Last edited by Kia3238; 05-05-2006 at 08:55 AM.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: HPV, so scared!

First off, CALM DOWN. How do you know you have HPV? Yes HPV can cause cervical cancer but there are about 100 different strains and only i think like 10 are the strains that CAN lead to cervical cancer. Even those strains don't always. HPV can lead to cervical dysplasia wich is abnomal or "PRE" cancerous cells of the cervix, which there are many ways to treat. If you have a strand that can lead to this there are a few things you can do. If you smoke, stop. Birth Control pill can also worsen dysplasia. Make sure you are eating healthy, and takingcare of yourself. They also say women who have dysplasia are generally low of folid acid, you may want to look into that as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Get regular PAP smears...once a year.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 10:08 AM. Reason: excessive quoting - please use the reply button instead

Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

I had HPV.
It was caught through a Pap anbd it was very Low Grade. This happened to me about 8 years or so ago.

My doc did a LEEP on me and I have had normal paps ever since.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

HPV is with you for life. A LEEP makes the displastic lession dissapear but it will not make the virus dissapear. But it builds your inmunity system so that you can live with the virus without problem. The dna of the virus integrates with your cells so even tho they carry the virus dna the cells will be normal and don't convert cancerous. So once the pap smears are normal you still have to go yearly checkups and keep eye on it. Never know if at any point in life it can flare up again.

I was diagnosed a year ago and I still have abnormal paps but I don't need LEEP because they are low grade CIN I so doctor says to wait and see if my inmune system fight it on it's own. LEEP is given with a medium grade CIN II and CIN III grade dysplasia.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 10:09 AM. Reason: excessive quoting - please use the reply button instead

Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
(female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

I was diagnosed with HPV years ago, and haven't had a problem since. My doctor recommended taking Vitamin C (minimum of 1000mg a day), vitamin E, vitamin A, Selenium, Astragulus, and Cats Claw to boost the immune system. Since i started taking these, I have not had an abnormal Pap smear.
It is viral, and can go into remission with a healthy immune system

Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
(female)

lorraine521 HB User

It's pretty rare that anyone who has HPV actually get's cervical cancer. It depends on the risk of the HPV you have for example low, mild, or high. Mainly the high risk is what you need to watch out for. So when you get a pap, inform your doctor that you want to know the risk level. Your doctor might do a colposcopy (sp) as well. It's like a pap, but they take a sample of the pre-cancerous cells and do further testing. There's really nothing you can do, to get rid of it. HPV is a virus, so you could have it the rest of your life, but there is hope, in most cases, a high percentage of people who have HPV, within approximatly 2 years there body gets rid of the virus completly.maybe more years. But you can easily re-infect yourself just like any other std, so be carefull. To help boost your immune system just simply eat healthy. I perfer taking benifiber every day.along with drinking lots of water and such. Patience is the key.
I hope this helps!

Old 05-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

nightangel,
yes, the HPV does stay with you and can come back.. I know someone who's daughter had HPV (not sure how babd it was) and years later ended up with a hyst because she ended up with cervical cancer.

HPV is VERY common. My sister was also dx with it and had a freezing done yeras ago for it. I also had a girlfriend who also was dx with it and had to have 3 freezing before it showed a normal pap.

My doc did tell me that mine was LOW GRADE I even saw the results, and he did say to me that we can wait and that it could just become normal again or we could do a LEEP. I decided on the LEEP. He took a big chunck of my cervix out. He wanted to make sure he got the Lesion and then some. Mine was so low grade that my boyfriend at the time (who is now my hubby) was also tested and he was fine. So yes, they DO LEEPS even if it is LOW GRADE.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

Even more you may have the virus dormant for many years (showing normal paps) and then get a flare up and be surprised. So if one has had more than one sexual partner one really can't be sure who we got infected from. As long as one keeps getting the yearly paps it is nothing to worry about. When one needs to do worry is depending on the strain. Like it was said there is many strains of the virus and ones are more harmful than others. I can't recall of the bad strands think it is 16 or 18 those are bad because they are high risk for cancer ones. Thankfully I don't seem to have of that ones.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 10:08 AM. Reason: excessive quoting - please use the reply button instead

Closed Thread