It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

CapChick HB User
Read this if you have HPV

It seems like there are so many HPV ?'s that there should be an HPV board!! I can understand how everyone is feeling, but be assured that there is nothing to be worried about!!

I think that people need to learn about HPV and realize that it is OK and NORMAL to have HPV these days...4 out of 5 sexually active people have HPV! Guys dont know they have it and girls only know they have it if they have the low-risk type.

There are 2 types of HPV...High Risk and Low Risk.

Low-Risk - Causes genital warts. Yes, that sound gross, but its not. Warts are simply removed and you just have to keep going back to the doctor. Yes, it does eventually go away.

High-Risk - does not cause genital warts, but it does cause abnormal cells on the cervix. You will not know that you have this unless you get a pap smear...THATS WHY ITS SO IMPORTANT TO GO TO THEY GYNO EVERY YEAR! If you do not go and you have high-risk HPV, those abnormal cells could become cancer. But if you do get diagnosed with High-Risk HPV and you go to the Gyno every 6 months, you will be fine and yes, it will go away on its own.

After you are diagnosed with HPV, you usually will get a colposcopy. Yes, you will think that it is a COLONOSCOPY for about 10 min. until you find out what it really is. Basically they take little chunks out of your cervix with a little pincher and check to see how abnormal the cells are. Thats it!

Trust me, HPV is not a life sentence. Yes, it isnt great news when you find out you have it, but get informed and you will feel better. Yes, we are told it is a sexually transmitted disease, but it is SO SO SO SO common. Doctors are so used to this, they spare the "STD" speech most of the time!!

I have High-Risk HPV and i felt awful, then i did my homework and im fine. I found out that about half of my friends have it or had it, even my aunt!! I told my BF and he was fine (even though i was a nervous wreck becasue i didnt know how to bring it up, but it felt SO good after i did and he understood...if he doesnt, and you explained about HPV, dump him, hes stupid).

I hope this helps everyone!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

punkybear HB User
Re: Read this if you have HPV

Thank you! When I had an abnormal pap and was diagnosed with HPV I completely freaked out and felt dirty. My doctor told me it is still classified as an STD because it is ONLY sexually transmitted but reassured me that if you have had sex you probably either have it or have had it at some point, most people do. And your body does eventually rid itself of the virus. Thank you for the post, more people should be aware of these facts!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User
Re: Read this if you have HPV

Thank you, CapChick. I was recently diagnosed with high-risk & abnormal cells. Going for a colpo soon. There is a lot of great information on HPV on the Cervical Cancer Message Board here. Lots of knowledgeable people, check it out!

Closed Thread