It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
(female)

fluttergrl HB User
Talking Hpv ads

I just want to applaud these ads I have been seeing. Has anyone else seen them? Before being diagnosed I didn't know anything about hpv. Now maybe more people will at least be aware. I want to scream it from the rooftops go get a pap!!!!! I have always gone once a year (now I will be going more). I had friends that had never gone and they were in their twenties. Its a scary world out there. As we all know. I am hopeful that my margins will be clear and I can move on with my life. But I will continue to pass this on. I have always strongly urged people to go to the Drs now I will even more. Maybe thats why I was exposed to this. Anyway yeah for the ads!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

cincbcat HB User
Re: Hpv ads

Are you talking about the "Tell Someone" ads???? I agree that all ads out about HPV are wonderful, I too feel like shouting from the rooftops, especially to younger women who have no clue what this virus can do to their future!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

I agree, I was one of those "Went for my first pap at 21", and found CINII and CIN III. I didn't know anything about HPV. I have friends, one in particular that is 30 and has never had a pap. I have begged her to go, since I found this. I have seen the ads and even found them online and e-mailed them to her. Hopefully one of these days she will listen!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I was an HIV test counselor for two years, which means I talked to people about sex and safer sex all the time... and even I barely knew what HPV was and had no clue that it could cause cervical cancer or that I was at risk. So I agree that it's really good that more people are being exposed to information about it.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

I agree. I'm 47 & never knew!!! And now I'm living it! Plus, I have always been good about getting my Paps. I couldn't believe when I read that 80% of women have it by the time they are 50 years old. I still don't understand how it affects men, can someone tell me? Also, I read there is no testing for men. How can that be??

Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

One more thought on those tv ads - they DO say that "some women clear this infection on their own". Isn't this wrong information?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I've posted this here before, but my gynecologist tells me that although they used to think that the virus was with you for life, most recent research has shown that the virus can be destroyed by the immune system with time.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonder
One more thought on those tv ads - they DO say that "some women clear this infection on their own". Isn't this wrong information?
The Health Canada government website says that "There is no known cure for HPV infections but many people will eventually clear the infection from their bodies". The CDC site says the same thing.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

That is great to hear. Thanks for the clarification.

Closed Thread