It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

BlackAmex HB User
HPV Transmission Question

I was wondering if anyone knew if HPV can be transmitted to the mouth through oral sex. I don't mean to offend anyone but any info is much appreciated.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User
Re: HPV Transmission Question

Not sure but I have read cases where you can get cancer of the mouth. I don't believe it's true and it's NOT going to stop me from my sex life with my bf of 4 years. You can get cancer of the mouth quicker from smoking.

Not sure how it is for those with the warts though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

freesoul HB User

Hi, A year ago I read an article in Woman's Day(5-10-05) called "my dentist saved my life".A woman's dentist found an area near the back of her tongue that turned out to be oral cancer.The strain's 18 and 16 are being found in oral cancer tissue's.And the article also say's,almost all of the strain's of HPV that have been found in the cervix have also been found in the mouth,and to hold off on oral sex until treatment has cleared up the virus.I kept the article because I thought it was interesting,still have it!You should discuss it with your doctor though as there are different opinion's for each case,and it may not ever cause problem's at all.Hope this help's some!

Old 05-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

88Shadow HB User

After watching my sister die of oral cancer (saliva gland to be precise) this past January, I can honestly say I've done a ton of research on this issue. I've been active on an oral cancer foundation website and Yes - HPV has been identified as a cause of oral cancer. However - it is not THE only cause. Smoking and heavy alcohol use (both of which my sister was involved in) are major, major risk factors. There are people who have oral cancer who have never smoked or drank alcohol and those are often (though not always) tested as HPV positive. If you are in a monogomous relationship, the virus is all through your body at this point. Keeping your immune system top notch through vitamins, exercise, no smoking and careful use of birth control is essential. At that point, you're right, you have to enjoy your sexual relationship and do what you want! Then it's up to chance, luck, health, etc. It sucks but there are no guarantees in this life about anything! My husbands young employee just got diagnosed with tongue cancer - he's a heavy smoker and is now going through the horrible radiation my sister had to endure. It is an awful, awful disease and hopefully more people will become aware of oral cancer and seek treatment before it spreads!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
(female)

xo_eve HB User
STDs can be transmitted through oral-oral, oral-anal, anal-vaginal (or penile), and regular intercouse.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-23-2006 at 07:19 AM. Reason: These are peer supprt boards only. Please read the Posting Rules.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Great so im going to die now! I just found out I have this and this post isn't helping any. Im so confused and upset about it all.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

V dubgurl-You are not going to die from HPV. It is very common in your post on the womens health board you said your doctor told you 80% of sexually active adults have this which is very true. We aren't all dieing....just keep up with your annual pap! Good-Luck!!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
(female)

lotus1234 HB User

does anyone know if hpv can be transmitted even if you are using a condom?
i have heard mixed research.

Closed Thread