It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #1

HOFFE HB User
New HPV/HSV girl in town

Hi, I'm new here. First time I've ever used a message board. My hope is to do the obvious -- gather and share info. I discovered I had high-risk HPV in 2001 and had a LEEP procedure soon after to remove pre-cancerous cell growth. Now, I am testing negative on the HPV DNA test. Not sure if I should celebrate quite yet -- my gynecologist tells me that a negative result could mean the virus has just gone dormant vs. gone packing. Curious if anyone has had similar experiences/results and what their understanding of it is. (I get lots of conflicting info. No surprise to most of you, I'm sure.)

I am also "blessed" with HSV 2. (I was given that result just 2 years after the HPV result. When it rains it pours.) Wondering if anyone here also has HSV along with HPV. Again, just hoping to share information and try and keep up-to-date on these viruses.

Lots of HPV ads, etc. out there now! (Not to mention the vaccine.) BIG change from just 5 years ago.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: New HPV/HSV girl in town

Hey Hoffe, welcome to the message board world I was never tested for HPV (they don't do it here in Canada unless you specifically ask for it AND pay for it...). There sure is lots of new information out there, even in the last year and a half. Goes to show the complexity of the virus.

I'm sorry you have been dx'd with hsv too. I do not have hsv, so cannot answer your questions specifically. I have read some info though that shows a correlation between hsv and hpv - more related to the immune system though.

I hope your hpv is gone or else stays dormant for the rest of your life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Have your Paps been normal since your LEEP? I think you should celebrate!

My gyno won't test for HPV strain for some reason. I'd be interested in knowing what I have, but I guess her philosophy is that everyone should be watched closely regardless of their strain.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Yes dear I am too cursed. I got hsv my first time out of the box 23 years ago. As for hpv that was found at my follow up pap post pregnancy. I was shocked. I had a cone biopsy and although the margins showed narrowly clear I still had the chance of it being present since it was Adenocarcinoma n situ and it can skip locations. I also tested for high grade CIN. Needless to say two OB/GYN oncologists later I had a modified radical hysterectomy March 13th. I kept my ovaries. All the tissue came back clear as did the lymphs so I shouldn't have to worry anymore about this. The CIN111 did not even show present nor was the HPV. How odd to have it come back negative HPV. My OB said that yes it can go dormant so after it came and changed my life forever it went back into hiding.

I am sorry you are aflicted with both of these diseases. I think that the hsv was the worse for me. I ran and hid from having it for 20 years. I still hate to think of it. My husband found out right before we got engaged. I know I should have told but I didn't. He wasn't thrilled but he didn't care. So far to my knowledge with 23 years of sex and two husbands noone has contracted it.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #5

scarred321 HB User

i'm sorry what is HSV??

Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Herpes simplex virus

Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #7

HOFFE HB User

I don't check-in with this board very often. I just wanted to say thank you for all your replies.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #8

HOFFE HB User

Hi Backinthesaddle,

Yes, the HSV has been more of a problem in my case also. Just because it's almost a daily battle keeping outbreaks at bay, etc.. Basically, I've learned to 'respect' both viruses which for me means not pretending they don't exist (tempting at times) and to do what I can to stay healthy and boost my immune system.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #9

scarred321 HB User

did you or have you told your current partner?

i think i may have HSV, and although i'm with no one now, i'm terrified about my next bf thinking the worst of me and running away.

any advice?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Scarred I am bad, I only told one guy and that was 20+ years ago. He dumped like a hot potatoe and I never told again. To date I never had anyone come back and tell me I gave them HSV. Not even my ex dh. I had mine cultured about 15 yrs ago and it came back negative and I held onto that but there is nothing else it could be. I wonder if those of us who hadit every month like clockwork could keep it at bay with partners better then those who had one outbreak every once and awhile? Mine never laid dormant. It always appeared. I take 500mg Valtrex twice a day when one is coming. I think one Valtrex will keep it at bay so try that.

As for how they will feel. I think most men unless they understand and really love us will be scared off. It seems most people do not understand what it is and how it happens. It doesn't men we are slutty heck it was my first. If they run then let them they weren't the right one. The right one will stay and learn with you.

I do think we should tell before we do have sex. Even though I didn't it is the right thing to do. I was just lucky. Put sex off until the relationship is strong enough to deal with even negative issues.

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
(female)

Kstarr11 HB User

You got it two years a part? I found mine out one week apart to the day, friday, just in time for the weekend. And I am having IBS symptons, afraid its much more systematic with all that goes on. any thoughts?

Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
(female)

serenity26 HB User

IBS is caused (largely) by stress...stress also allows hsv outbreaks and the hpv virus to cause cellular changes. So for all three things, stress can be the number one factor. 80% of women contract hpv during their lifetime, most's immune system takes care of it and they don't experience what many of us have...stress takes a HUGE toll on your immune system.

Meditation, yoga, therapy, shopping... Whatever de-stresses you, focus on those things.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #13

HOFFE HB User

Hi SCARRED. Sorry about the late reply. I'm not online often.

Well, the partner I have now is the person that I got HSV from, so I haven't had to tell a new partner about herpes -- but, I did share the fact that I had HPV with my current partner when we first started going out. I think it makes sense to share information with any potential partners...especially when it comes to herpes. It can really impact someone's life on a very frequent basis (as it has in my case). By you sharing the information with your partner, it gives the other person a chance to take precautions (condoms, etc.-- not 100% effective, but it's something) --and, of course, you can commit to doing what you can, too. If you do have herpes, apparently taking suppressive meds helps lessen the chance of you transmitting it to a partner. You should definitely get tested to confirm you even have it -- and, if you do, you should talk to your MD about your options.

Apparently, LOTS of couples have one HSV positive/one HSV negative partner and they lead very happy lives. Some suggested reading (if you test positive): Managing Herpes by Charles Ebel. I just bought it, actually. Great introduction to herpes. It has a whole chapter about talking to potential partners.

STDs are SO common. Seriously. If you're positive, don't be ashamed - be confident. And, if you decide to be open and honest with potential partners, take pride in that. If someone doesn't take it well, that's really about them -- not you.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #14

HOFFE HB User

Hi KSTARR.

So, you were told you had HPV and HSV one week apart? Is that right? That must've been fun. I, myself, burst into tears on the exam table when my MD told me about the herpes, even though it was two years after the HPV diagnosis. A bit embarrassing, but I was just stunned-- especially after about 20 years of being sexually active and STD-free. Oh well. Onward.

Anyway, I really don't know about the IBS. I can tell you that close friend of mine has it and I think SERENITY is right about the stress factor. Whether or not your the HPV/HSV may play a part, I'm not sure -- unless the stress of the diagnosis of both (if that was recent) is bringing on an IBS attack.

I was told by an MD who specialized in HPV, that having both the HPV/HSV viruses challenges your immune system (kind of a no-brainer, I guess), so the best thing you can do is take care of yourself -- good diet, good sleep, manage stress, etc.. I can only assume that this would help the IBS also.

I think over time you also learn what triggers what -- with herpes and IBS you might definitely see some patterns. (Obviously, the HPV doesn't really work that way.)

In your case, I would think diet could be a big factor. I have found that dietary changes have helped a bit with my HSV outbreaks and I know my friend with IBS found that diet greatly improved his condition. So, perhaps you could start there. Hope this is somewhat helpful...

Last edited by HOFFE; 06-19-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Pressed 'post' by mistake!

Closed Thread