It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
HPV Just found out

And im so confused about it all. He said I have high risk hpv that can cause cervical cancer. I believe my fiance now gave me this and im not mad at him but a little scared about it all. I feel kind of dirty. My gyno said about 85% of people have this and don't know it. He said I have either strain 16 or 18 which attacks the cervix and there is nothing I can do. So is this my life sentance for eventually getting cervical cancer? I was crying all day. Does anyone else have this? And how did you handle the news? Im not doing so good with it! My pap other then that came back ok. He said there was no other abnormal cells just to keep coming every 6 months instead of 12. Is there anything I can't do or shouldn't do with this. I was so stunned for the news, I couldn't ask him the questions im thinking about now.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
(male)

freaked73 HB User
Re: HPV Just found out

it's not easy to find out you have it. i know. but you really should look at it like this...if you are engaged, hopefully you will be married a long time. you won' t need to worry about tellign other lovers, etc. stay commited. keep an eye out, get any warts removed, and have regular gyno visits to check for any cervical issues.

it's tough, for sure. but it's managable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

First off just because you have HPV does NOT mean you are going to get cervical cancer! HPV "CAN" lead to cervical cancer. Even if it does change your cells, it will happen gradually, "pre" cancerous cells of the cervix are referred to as mild, moderate, or severe dysplaysia. Or CINI CINII or CINIII. Which are all VERY treatable! My doc gave me kind of a graph to go by. I can't draw it for you but I can explain.

1. Normal Pap
2. HPV or Infection
3. Mild Dysplasia or CINI
4. Moderate Dysplasia or CINII
5. Severe Dysplasia or CINIII
6. Cancer

Even if you had CINI most doctors don't treat that as it will most of the time heal on it's own. HPV can stay with you forever and not do a thing to you, you will never know you have it. It can also go dormant after awhile. You in no way have cancer. If this HPV does cause abnormal cells to grow just remember they have stages. All of which are VERY treatable. Most women that have cervical cancer have not had a pap in years. (not all but most) The only way to prevent is to KEEP UP WITH YOUR APPOINTMENTS. You will be fine. I know this is a very scary time because once we hear the would "CANCER" we freak out. But you do not have cancer. Also HPV can hind for years before it shows up on a pap you could have had it for a long time and not known it. Men don't show syptoms with these strains of HPV, so even if it was from your fiance he didn't know he had it. It doesn't cause anything to them. In a very very very very few amount of men they have connected it to penile cancer but that is HIGHLY unlikely. You will ok, my thoughts and prayers are with you. If you need to know anything else let me know.

Last edited by lovethoscurls; 06-02-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thank you!! So what are my chances of it turning into cancer? Like is there a certian percentage with this stuff. I really don't know to much about this .

Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

80% of adult women have HPV. You're not dirty or weird or anything like that. You have something that most women have.

I don't know what the chances are that you'll get cancer, but you like LTC said, you MUST get regular Pap smears to prevent it from happening.

Closed Thread