It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User
Question HPV and c-section...

Okay, so I was a little embaressed to post this here at first, and considered the womens sexual health board... but felt as though it belonged here.

While discussing my chances of having to have a c-section, my doctor informed me that he makes his incisions very low into the bikini line, and that your pubic hair typically covers the scar. But my question has to do with my current HPV status.

I had no idea I even had such a thing before I got pregnant. I didn't even know it exsisted. You'd think with 3 in 4 sexually active people having it that they would have talked about it more in school!! Anyways... when my body started producing extra estrogen small flesh like bumps started appearing in my hairline. They don't hurt, and no one is worried about it affecting the baby (thank goodness). My docotor seems to think that after everything is said and done and I'm totally through with pregnancy (breastfeeding included) that this will go away on their own. But if I have to have a c-section, wouldn't they shave my hair, causing them to cut off my bumps??? I can't imagine that in a sterile setting having HPV exposure would be a very good thing! Plus, ouch, thats skin they would razoring off!

Any input??

Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: HPV and c-section...

I also have HPV and have had it for several years now. After I gave birth to my first child I had a normal pap for the first time in years. My OB said having a baby can change the cells on the cervix from the stretching and what not. It came back though so I still have to have a pap every 3 to 6 months to make sure I am not cancerous. The bumps on your hair line have nothing to do with this disease as far as I know!? It's on the cervix and vagina only from what I know. Plus, HPV is not a concern during pregnancy. It is not something you can pass onto your baby whether you have a vaginal delivery or a C-section. Both my family Doc and OB had no concerns at all. I just had my second baby 5 weeks ago yesterday and once again, it wasn't an issue.
Regarding the shaving, I had weird skin tags growing all over my body including my arm pit. I shaved all the time with a blade razor and it never came off! I believe the Doctors will use a shaver (not a blade razor) so there should be no damage to you at all. If these ar skin tags you have then yes, they will fall off eventually on their own once your homones go back to normal. Mine did! I still have the one's from my last pregnancy but then again, I am b/f.
Don't worry about it harming your baby!!! It won't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
Plus, HPV is not a concern during pregnancy. It is not something you can pass onto your baby whether you have a vaginal delivery or a C-section. Don't worry about it harming your baby!!! It won't.
Please don't take this offensively, but that is very untrue..
I also have HPV and (this is very embarrassing to talk about) right before I became pregnant, I started getting genital warts. At my first visit with my OB it was a concern and she thought I would need a section because of it. I don't mean to bash anything that baby#2 said, but although it is rare, HPV can cause complications, it can affect the baby. It's called laryngeal papillomatosis. It is uncommon, but is still there. This happens when the baby passes through the infected area, more common if you have genital warts on your cervix and vaginal wall.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User
Smile Re: HPV and c-section...

Yeah, I knew about the possibility of warts in the throat, but I'm clear of anything cancerous on the cervix, and clear of any internal warts. I only have, what I can assume to be warts in my hair line. They don't even go down as far as my labia. So thats my major concern when it comes to a c-section. I don't think they are skin tags at all. I began to get the first few the month BEFORE I was pregnant.

Thank you to you both so far for your advice!

Anyone else have any input on this?

Last edited by misip; 06-03-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

If your worried about them shaving the area, either before you go in, trim it yourself, or let the nurse know you are nervous about it. I'm not sure since I didn't use them during my pregnancy, but are hair removals ok? Like if you used Nair? I'm not sure if they are ok during pregnancy though..

Old 06-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

To the best of my knowledge, products like Nair are NOT ok to use while pregnant, and you should never use them in the genital area like that. Not even at the very top of the area, as that skin is still way more sensitive and stuff.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

misip HB User

Yeah, I would think nair would hurt, ouch

Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Hummmm..... maybe I should ask my Dr/OB about it. I have delivered two babies vaginally now and they never showed any concerns and told me there was nothing to worry about. If this is untrue and something happens to one or both of my children maybe I will have a law suit on my hands!?
I hope nothing has happened to my sons. As far as I know they are okay and healthy.
I guess I should do some research and confront them if there was something to worry about.
Thanks for the input.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

I haven't ever had HPV so I can't share any info about the infectious aspect but I had a c-section w/ my son and if I remember correctly they had already done the spinal when they shaved the little bit of hair they take off and once you have the spinal you feel NOTHING. So, if there would have been pain I don't think you'll feel it. But if you have concerns its always best to talk to your dr. Best of luck!

Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Baby#2, it's very rare and also, it would have shown up very close after they were born. And from my dr's word, it can only develop if there are genital warts on the cervix or vaginal walls. Something about the baby getting the infection in it's mouth, and it can go to the throat. If they had gotten infected, you would have known.

I've used Nair while I wasn't pregnant near the top of my pubic line.. Never hurt as long is it didn't stay on too long, I guess I just have thick skin HAHA!

Closed Thread