It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

Marie21 HB User
Unhappy Does anyone else have hpv

After having a few abnormal pap smears, I recently found out that I have hpv. i had to have a colposcopy, and now am just getting pap smears every 4 months or so to look for changes. My type of hpv is "high risk"... I am really stressed out about this. I just went in to the doctor to have my pap smear today. And she asked me some questions such as "how have you been feeling lately?" "have you been sick." I think she also asked if I have a cough or anything like that. At first I didn't think anything of this, but was she asking me these questions because hpv can weaken your immune system... or can it make u sick. I know that if left untreated it can cause cervical cancer. Does anyone know. I need some moral support. I never thought that I would contract an STD. My boyfriend of 3 years gave it to me. He didn't know that he had anything. Lately I have been feeling really tired and fatigued. Could this be from the hpv, or do you think that I am just stressed? Since I contracted hpv, I have been really scared that I may have other std's. I have been tested for everything including hiv, but It was not 6 months after the last time that we had unprotected sex. All my tests came back negative. I had my boyfrined go in and get tested... However I dont' think they tested him for hiv. I am stressed out about having hpv. is anyone else going through this that can offer a word of encouragement? Thanks..... Does my doctor know somthing I don't?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
(female)

hugeworrywart HB User
Re: Does anyone else have hpv

i just found out a few weeks ago that i also have high risk hpv. i was very freaked out about it as well, but i've talked to a few doctors and some people who have it and it put my mind a somewhat at ease.... to answer some of your questions: i have never heard anything about it weakening your immune system, its most likely from stressing out about things. i would go get checked out for other STDs because of the fact that some go without symptoms. i had chlamydia for over a year and had NO idea until i tested positive. i wouldnt stress too much about HPV though. 4 out of 5 sexually active adults will get some sort of HPV throughout their lifetime. its good to know that you have it so that you can monitor it, therefore, if it does start to turn into something more serious (cervical cancer), then you can treat it before it becomes a major problem. most cases of cervical cancer are preventable, and since you are being closely watched, i would not worry too much about it. i am scheduled to have my first colposcopy this friday. i am a little nervous but i heard its not too bad. i hope this helped a little.... but seriously, millions of people have HPV, so you're by far not alone. i know its hard to take in at first, but as long as you keep a close watch on it, you will be fine

Last edited by hugeworrywart; 06-21-2006 at 01:06 AM.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

Marie21 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I feel a little better knowing that many people are infected with some form of hpv. I had my boyfriend go in and get tested for std's after I found out. I guess that they can't test men for hpv? It this true. All his tests came back negative. I don't think that they tested him for hiv, however. I am kind of worried about that since I have one std....
I just am stressed about having an std. I hear that they have a vaccine for hpv now... you know to prevent it. I don't know if you can take it if you already have it though. My doctor was telling me about it but she didn't have all the details. I hope that my next pap comes back normal. I get my results sometime next week.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Hey Marie, I am a wife and mother of 2 boys. I am 34 and contrated HPV when I was 21 by a serious boyfriend at the time who didn't know he had it. I felt like you, devastated. I had a Colposcopy and a big chunck of my cervix was removed. I still went on to have 2 boys and live everyday just fine. It is not a death sentance. I go to all of OBGYN appointments and have a sono done every 6 months. Most go once a year, but because of having HPV my OBGYN wants to always make sure my cervix is nice and pink and it always has been. I've had a few outbreaks in my vagina and luckily none of them were on the cervix, just around it. As long as you are seeing your OBGYN when they tell you to come in and make sure your ok the better you will be. Just don't worry, you will survive this. Heck, I thought my husband wouldn't want to be with me if he knew and all sorts of other bad stuff, but he is by my side and never worries one day about catching HPV and just wants to make sure I'm ok. So cheer up, I know it is hard, but you will be allright!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

lyja001 HB User

Hey Marie-

I just found out a month ago that I have High Risk HPV and Moderate Dysplasia or CIN II. I was devistated when I found out.
I just had cryosurgery 3 days ago to remove the pre cancerous cells. I go back in 8 weeks for a check up to see if they got it all.

I did allot of research about HPV after being diagnosed, and I was suprised to find how common this STD is. I had never heard of it before.
I never thought I would have an STD. I am 25 years old, and only had two long term partners.

I now believe that women need to be more educated about HPV. It's very common, and most men are just carriers. My boyfriend does not have any symptoms nor has he tested positive for any type of STD.

Anyway...I hope you are feeling better about it. Keep your head up. I will all work out in the end.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
(male)

atyclb HB User

Just to give you an idea about how not alone your really are, millions of people become infected with HPV every year. It is THE most prolific STD today. According to the CDC, over 50% of all sexually active adults will have an HPV infection at one point in their life. A large percentage of these people will NEVER develop any symptoms. There are many, many strains of HPV (over 50) and oddly enough, the ones that cause genital warts are actually some of the most harmless. It's the ones that never show up that can cause the worst outcomes. While the symptoms of HPV can be treated, there is no cure for HPV. In addition, there is no 100% foul-proof way of stopping the spread of HPV (other than to abstain, of course). Even condoms will not prevent the spread because condoms do not cover the entire area. Again, according to the CDC, there is over a 70% of infection when skin comes in contact with infected skin. It is even possible for an infected person to transmit the HPV to other areas of the body (inner thighs, anus, etc). The good news is that you have nothing to be ashamed of or embarassed about. Chances are, stressing out about it is doing more to harm your health than the virus. Unfortunately, sexually transmitted infections carry the added burden of social stigma but in truth, getting HPV has as much to do with your character as a common cold. I'd highly encourage you to go to the CDC website and read up on HPV. It'll really open your eyes.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
(male)

guyw1thquestion HB User

Hello,

I recently slept with a friend of a friend and a week later I noticed some tingling and redness. That was about 2 weeks ago and today I noticed a ring of tiny bumps around the head of my penis. On the internet I found pictures of MUCH worse bumps but as far as I can tell... I have hpv with warts. I will go in and have a nurse look at it on monday but I can't believe this. I wanted to use a condom as I always do, it was my first 1 night stand and the sixth girl i've ever slept with and bingo. She said it was safe even though she said it very strangely. Even two weeks ago she was talking about cervical cancer. I can't believe she did this to me. I feel extremly abused.

Crazy thing is, I don't even know 100% i have it and im freaking out. I suppose all this is, is a rant. Any feedback?

-?

Old 06-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
(female)

Marie21 HB User

I think that it is a good idea to go in and get checked. The type of hpv that I have doesn't have any syptoms, so I am not sure if what you are describing is hpv or not. However, if you do have hpv, the strain that causes warts is treatable and doesn't lead to cancer. At least from what I have read it is low-risk. I am not 100% sure however, so going in is a good Idea. Many people who have hpv, don't even know it because not everyone has the same symptoms. So maybe she didn't know she had it. I have also heard that condoms are not 100% effective against hpv. I think maybe that is why so many people have this disease. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Old 06-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
(male)

guyw1thquestion HB User

thanks marie, i will keep you posted

Old 06-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

dokken HB User

Most of the poulation has HPV..keep an eye on it and you will be fine. HPV is very common.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

mhk4000 HB User

Hey Marie...

You asked about the vaccine from Merck. It just got approved by the FDA, however it is only licenced for girls between the ages of 9 to 26. That may change in the future. Being vaccinated after you've already been infected may actually help kick the immune system into high gear, and prevent future outbreaks, and perhaps help you steer clear of future infections of different strains.

As far as you're symptoms of being tired, they are from the stress. HPV doesn't weaken your immune system, think about it, it's just a little wart on a small piece of skin. It's not even in your blood stream. As far as your HIV worries, don't let them go unchallenged, they can grow into quite a monster for no good reason. 3 months is the typical amount of time it takes the body to manufacture the HIV antibodies, which is what the test detects. You say you don't know whether your bf was tested for HIV, ask him! Call your doctor and tell him/her you're worried about it... and hopefully your mind will be put at ease. HIV is way less common than HPV or even HSV... and I'm guessing you're in a pretty low risk factor category. Do the math, if it's been more than 3 months, you're fine.

Closed Thread