It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

~sunny~ HB User
Starting my HPV Journey

I'm starting my HPV journey, ah what fun...my story...

June 04, started a wonderful new relationship with someone I should have considered, dated, married 10 years ago. In the prior year 03-04 I was in a relationship and TTC with no success. Had several GYN visits, lab work, etc everything was normal.

August 04, suprise pregnancy, yea!

Oct 04, 1st OB visit pap is abnormal LGSIL = HPV. I had the colpo, it didn't look bad so no biopsy was done since I was pregnant. THe OB said we would evaluate it post-partum.

May 05, Healthy baby boy!

July 05, Post-partum visit, pap is normal. GYN says we will re-pap every 3 month for a year to make sure everything is ok.

Oct 05, normal pap
Jan 05, Normal pap
April 05, Abnormal pap HGSIL
May 05, 2nd Colpo, biopsy & ECC. Then I got a call from the GYN office from someone who did not speak english well (grr) to schedule a LEEP because the biopsy was abnormal. The appointment was scheduled for 6 weeks out since they were booked until then & only do procedures on wednesdays. I hung up in shock and went to the internet to research the LEEP. After reading several websites I had several questions! What exactly was abnormal & to what degree?!?!?!? I called them back for an explanation. I again got the same person who said it was CIN III.

So my LEEP is in 2 days. My DF is stressed, but I'm doing ok. The worst case scenario would suck, as would a hysterectomy at 32, but we will take it one appointment at a time.
Our hopes are for clear margins post LEEP & dysplasia limited to CIN III. We will get back on the baby train as soon as we can since theres no guarantees it won't affect another area of the cervix with a vengeance!

Thanks to everyone one the board for all the good info, it helps to be informed!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Re: Starting my HPV Journey

Sunny:

Sorry you're facing this. And WOW that is so scary for me to read that you had all those normal paps and then it jumped to severe dysplasia! It makes me wonder if it really jumped that fast or if the Paps just missed it since they are just a screening tool. That freaks me out and makes me wonder if even when I get a normal pap, should I be celebrating or not? Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on what happens. Very best to you!

Hugs!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

88Shadow, a LOT of people on this board have had their CIN jump really quickly. Docs always tell you it takes years, but I'm surprised at the number of people for whom it takes mere months.

I had a CIN I biopsy in November and a CIN III biopsy in March.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

Maxibear HB User

I too went from clear yearly paps to severe dysplasia and had a LEEP. It happened so quickly - don't know how it spread so fast.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
(female)

freesoul HB User

Hi Sunny,I'm sorry to read what you are going through.It is very upsetting,I know.Hopefully you will have good result's with your LEEP.I alway's had normal paps,never missed one.When I had my last pap,it came back as CIN III,had colpo with biopsie's and ECC,still showed CIN III.It was not until I had my LEEP/Cone done that it was found to be cancer.Both adeno and squamous carcinoma in situ.What a shocker that was!!! There are still day's when I can't believe it,now I'm waiting for my hyst.So it's alway's good to stay on top of this stuff,my finger's will be crossed for you.Keep the faith!! Take care.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

Boy, that is scary. I just had my first abnormal pap as well at 33, which determined high-risk HPV. It was only a class 2 abnormality showing atypical cells, but my doc wanted to go ahead with the colposcopy anyway because of the high-risk result. While performing the colposcopy, she observed abnormal cells and did several external cervical biopsies and an ECC. It was CIN I. I got these results yesterday.

I was glad to hear that the results were mild; however, they showed a precancerous (although mild) condition when my pap only showed atypical cells. I did a ton of research, including finding this board, and was prepared and knowledgable about the results I was waiting for from the biopsy (basically, I knew I was waiting to hear mild, moderate or severe with a rare possibility of something more). When she told me it turned out to be mild dysplasia, I felt that was the best case scenario. My doc asked me if I wanted to go ahead with treatment or wait and have another pap in 3 mos to see where we are. I opted to wait for insurance purposes.

Also like you, we are planning to get pregnant (in December). If you've seen my other posts, you know that I am also having some issues with my fertility. (I am waiting to be retested for that later next week). After reading all the messages from women with similar experiences--especially with so many docs saying that CIN I takes years to develop into something more or that it can even go away by itself--I felt so much better by my results. But after hearing what you and these other women have gone through, I'm a little more skeptical.

Please keep me posted about your progress and experience. I will do the same. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Last edited by gav_73; 06-27-2006 at 05:17 AM.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I think in the majority of cases immune systems can fight off mild dysplasia and it'll revert to normal - I read some statistics on a website not long ago about the percentage that self corrects for mild, moderate and severe. That's why most doctors don't recommend treatment at the mild stage. Mine keeps going from mild to normal again. I'm waiting for results from my last pap now with fingers crossed. I've done doctor supervised treatment with vitamins and minerals and am hoping that boosted my immune system to the point it'll beat this thing! It's not abnormal to have ASCUS results from a pap and then find something more on the colposcopy. ASCUS simply means they saw something abnormal but can't determine the actual abnormality. Even with these results, sometimes a doc will recommend a wait and repap in three months. The important thing I guess is to keep a close eye on things!

Closed Thread