It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

pandaa HB User
Question Question About HPV.

So today, I was treated for mild HPV at my gynecologist. I guess he zapped the cells in my cervix with a laser... whatever. What I was wondering was... well before this, me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex a lot. I didn't know I had it. Does this mean he has it too? He has no symptoms. And if we have sex again, am I just gonna get it again, etc... ?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

Monroefan2 HB User
Re: Question About HPV.

Theres always a possibility you could of gave it to him with skin to skin contact since you had unprotected sex. There is no test for males to find out if they have HPV. If he gets it he will know by the warts. It could take a while for it to show up in him if he got it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

You do not need to have visible warts to carry and pass on the HPV virus. Your bf probably already has it (it is extremely easy to trasmit). If fact, maybe he's the one who gave it to you. Who knows.
As for you getting it back from him, that's not how it works. Once you have a particular strain, you have it and you can't get it again. Kind of like the chicken pox. That's not to say thay you can't get another strain though, which is always possible since there are well over a hundred different strains.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mhk4000 HB User

There are two different versions of genital HPV, the kind that show up as warts, and the kind that don't but may very well lead to abnormal pap smears and possibly cervical cancer. This latter kind is pretty much undetectable in males, as there's no blood test...

As far as couples who have HPV, you will obviously transmit the virus back and forth... but in time both of your immune systems should suppress it and it shouldn't be a problem. I would consider getting a pap smear every 6 months, just to keep the cervical cancer thing in check.

Lots of good information at ashastd.org. check it out.

Closed Thread