It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

ssky HB User
gardasil-- HPV vaccine

I just recieved information on this vaccine, my gyno recommended it to me to help prevent some types of the hpv virus. i was wondering if anyone has heard about gardasil or who has already started to use it. i think my dr. said it is pretty new so any feedback that anyone wants to share would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: gardasil-- HPV vaccine

I think it would be extremely foolish to risk your health on a new vaccine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
(male)

NCGuy HB User

Gardasil was just approved last month. It protects against the viruses that most cause cervical cancer and it also protects against genital warts. The protection is almost if not 100% effective which is very good. Its approved for the 9-26 age range and will probably be included in the reccomended immunization schedule for chidren and given at the 11-12 age range - whioh is when they will get their tetanus booster and a new meningitis vaccination. Gardasil is a three shot series like the Hepatitis B vaccine is. If you want the protection against most cervical cancers as well as genital warts, you will want to consider getting vaccinated.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #4

Marilyn73 HB User

I wouldn't get it just yet personally, it is still very new and was tested on limited people just like all new vaccines. It is not until they are used in great number that true vaccine reactions are found, even though they might be rare. I'm not anti-vax, but I'm also not a guinea pig Remember the Rotavirus vaccine disaster..... I think I am more concerned about younger girls getting this vaccine than adults but new vaccines because it was tested on VERY VERY few young girls, like all new medicine worries me until I see more of a track record with it. The FDA puts new medicines out there so fast anymore it seems.

I plan to wait and consider the VAERS reports on it before my girls get this vaccine, it's just too new for my comfort.

Good luck with your decision and do your research before going any further.

Last edited by Marilyn73; 07-16-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

This vaccine only protects against 4 of the 90+ strains of HPV. These 4 strains are considered extremely causative of cervical cancer. However, there are 15 strains that have been linked to cervical cancer. This vaccination does not protect you against the stratins not assocaited with cervical cancer, and you can still easily contract HPV (including the warty kind) with the vaccination.

The reason that the vaccine is so important is that there is nearly a 100% cause and effect relationship between being innfected with one of these strains of HPV and the development of cervical cancer. To put it better, 100% of these cervical cancers are the result of being infected with a cancer-causing HPV strain. However, it is unknown how many individuals can clear a cancer-causing HPV strain exposure on their own.

This is why we do Paps - find the cancer when it's still young.

The only reason I hesitate on this vaccine is that it's so new. If I had a daughter, I'd educate her on this crummy disease and the prevalence of HPV until she's blue in the face. But in a few years I'd probably go for it. About 90% of sexually active Americans carry at least 1 HPV strain. Why not prevent cancer to the best of our abilities?

Closed Thread