It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

RoseM123 HB User
Question Hpv ??

I was diagnosed with HPV when I went for my first pap smear in November. I had to go for a coloscopy a month later and it was very painful. I am just wondering everyone who does have HPV do they have to go for a coloscopy..? I have only had 3 partners and 2 were only a one time thing w/ a condom and the other we had unprotected sex but he said he was never with any other girls. Which I truely believed... So I am not sure how I contacted the virus, but when I found out I was very devastated because the way the nurse had explained it to me she made it sound really horrible. Now I go for a pap smear every 6 months and I hate it.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

carolinagirl HB User
Re: Hpv ??

Well My sister has HPV and all she had to do is take anti-biotics. She acted like it was nothing that serious. She slept with about 3 partners as well overtime.
Here is some research that i've done. Hope it helps.
Cure for HPV?
There is no known cure for HPV. However, eventually the immune system does repress it by reducing it to a low level. At the point of natural suppression, it would be unlikely for a person to transmit the virus. Researchers don't know whether it is actually ever fully eliminated from the body, but at any rate it quits being contagious after a while. The time it takes to get to this point varies from person to person, according to their immune system. The longer you have gone without having symptoms, the more likely it is that your body is reducing the viral levels. HPV does not tend to be persistent in most cases, and most people who have contracted it are not thought to be permanently contagious.

Can Men catch HPV?
Yes men can catch HPV just as easily as women can. This is a very common virus and it doesn't take much to get it if you've had unprotected sex.
There is no test out there for men to find out if they have been exposed to HPV. If you think you might have been I would go to your doctor and talk to him about the different options you might have. If you're having any visible symptoms, such as warts, then definitly go! In most cases warts never show up, you are just a carrier of the virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I'd only had 3 partners too and had used a condom every time. HPV spreads very easily. Unfortunately condons don't protect against it.

No, not everyoen with HPV needs a colposcopy. Usually only people with abnormal Paps have them.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

"Well My sister has HPV and all she had to do is take anti-biotics."

Ummm, antibiotics are unlikely to help with hpv because it is a virus. Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections. If only hpv were simple enough to get rid of with antibiotics - wouldn't that be wonderful!?! I wish it were true, believe me.

Karen

Closed Thread