It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Blondie1974 HB User
Couple of Questions about HGSIL/HPV

Hello-
I'm new to here. Just found this wonderful site the other day.
You all seem very supportive and willing to help each other out.

I'm 32 years old and have een with my husband of 11 years. Before him, I slept with only one other person.

About two weeks ago, after having 12 years of normal paps, I got results that said I have HGSIL. The next day I went in for a colposcopy and biopsy. Yesterday I got the results basically confirming the pap. I nervous that I could go from normal to CIN III in one year! Maybe they missed it last year?

I asked the nurse on the phone if I was tested for HPV and she said "No, we just assume if you have HGSIL then you have HPV." Then I asked her if I could've had this for 11 years with out knowing. And she just blew it off saying that we have no idea of knowing when you got this. I don't think she understood my question. Because I just want to know if I could have had this for 11 years or if I should be concerned that maybe my husband had been unfaithful at some point. I don't believe he has been, but...

So on August 7th, I go in for my LEEP. Should I ask the doctor to test me for HPV so I know what strain I have? Is this important info to know?

Any info would be useful. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Couple of Questions about HGSIL/HPV

No, you should not assume that your husband has been unfaithful. HPV is extremely easy to contract, and a person can carry it in their body for many, many years with no symptoms. You could have gotten it from your first partner a decade ago, or your husband could have given it to you a decade ago having gotten it from one of his first partners. A lot of people have no idea how they got HPV. Some experts believe you can get it through nonsexual means. Perhaps you touched something in a restroom and then inserted a tampon.

If it were herpes or syphillis, I'd agree that you should be suspicious, because they aren't asymptomatic for decades and they are almost always contracted sexually. But this is HPV.

Almost everyone on this board had rapidly progressing dysplasia. Many of us went from zero to CIN III or even cancer in a matter of months. Anecdotally it seems quite common.

My gyno doesn't test for HPV strain. She says that everyone with HPV needs to be followed up, so there's no point in knowing strain. Yes, some strains are "high risk" strains, but even low risk strains carry with them some risk so one must be vigilant anyway. Perhaps other gynos think differently about this, so you could ask yours for their opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

welcome blondie

Timber already said everything I was going to say

Did want to ask if maybe you are in Canada? I think in the US they automatically do the hpv test on women over the age of 30. In Canada they do not unless you specifically ask for it AND pay for it. So, if you are in Canada, you can request it.

I'm not sure if they can test the LEEP biopsy for hpv or not. Have not searched that one out.

I have never had a confirmed hpv diagnosis, it is just assumed because I had stage 1a1 squamous cell cervical cancer that I did.

Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me what type I have. It did what it did to me, and there's not much I can do about it.

Good luck with your LEEP.

Karen

Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

Blondie1974 HB User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't think that he had been unfaithful... I just hadn't seen anything about carrying HPV for over 10 years with no signs. But now, just to have one other person confirm my belief, makes me feel better.

I never thought I wold be one of those people advocating for regular paps to my friends, but now I will. To have something develop so rapidly but to also know that it can be taken care of, hopefully, makes me want to hand out flyers to women to remind them to go get their paps!

I've gone through so many emotions these past two weeks. The tuesday before I got my pap results and went in for the colop, I attended the funeral of a very good friend's husband. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just 6 weeks earlier. Then to go to the doctor and have her write a chart with all these acronymns (ASCUS, LGSIL, HGSIL) and then cancer at the end. Then she pointed that I was just below cancer, freaked me out. After the biopsy, my husband was waiting for me in the waiting room (actually the hall becuase he was uncomfortable being the only guy in the waiting room) I just started crying.

But now, after reading all these posts and doing some research, I'm okay with it. I'm confident that it'll all be okay. The worst part is how busy these darn gynocologists are! It's awful having to wait so long to get the next procedure done!

Old 07-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

Blondie1974 HB User

Karen-
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the US and have good health insurance. But now I guess the test is not worth the bother. I know I have hpv and I guess that's all I need to know for the future.
I'm glad I found this site!

Old 07-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Well you're going to be just fine. LEEP is quite easy and hopefully that'll be all the treatment you ever need.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I just wanted to say that I'd been married for 21 years before HPV started causing me problems. I did wonder (briefly) if my husband had been unfaithful but I truly don't believe he ever was. When I asked my doctor, she said it is entirely possible for it to lay dormant for years and then something happens where your immune system is compromised and it starts causing the cellular changes that result in dysplasia. I can advocate that you do whatever you can to boost your immune system (see my post on using natural vitamins and minerals to help), quit smoking if you're a smoker, and keep up with your paps as often as they want to do them. I've been going every three months for the past year but now I've had two normal paps and I'm dropping to every six months. As long as you do everything in your power to take care of yourself, you'll be fine!

Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
(female)

freesoul HB User

Hello and Welcome!! As the other ladie's said,don't worry about the strain of HPV you have.What's important is you are getting treatment and will be ok.And you are on the right track in being proactive about spreading the word on having regular exam's!!! Hope everything goes well for you

Closed Thread