It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

JonathansMommy HB User
HPV - A bit distraught.

I found out at my last OB/GYN appointment that I had HPV...I was FLOORED. Before she was looking "down there" I asked about getting my, what I thought were skin tags, removed. I was told by ATLEAST 2 previous doctors/nurses that they were SKIN TAGS and NOTHING more, well this doctor tells me HPV!!!

Could she be wrong? Can they test for it? I have had the "genital warts" (HPV) for awhile...atleast 2 years, going on 3! My partner doesn't have it.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: HPV - A bit distraught.

I'm sorry you've been told you have HPV after thinking all along that it was skin tags. I would think that the gyno has seen enough HPV in his/her career that they would probably be able to recognize them on sight. This is just my opinio though.

Yes, you can have a test to confirm your gyno's dx, and it would be a good idea to get that test so you can make your partner aware of this situation. I know this must be a shock for you. Let's hope that your gyno made a mistake in this case. I hope so.

Lezlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

Monroefan2 HB User

You might want to get a biopsy. Those are the best tests to tell what it is. The doc said I have genital warts and then when I had a pap test she said there was no sign of HPV. So Im wondering if they are skin tags or what.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathansMommy
Could she be wrong?
Well, somebody's wrong, that's for sure. I'm surprised she didn't send you for testing. HPV is usually accompanied by an abnormal PAP, so some sort of secondary test is the normal protocol (a colposcopy, I think). Did she recommend anything at all or just leave it at that?

Anyway, you should find out for sure what you have. In the mean time, you can try giving yourself the vinegar test. I'm not sure how accurate the home version would be, but it's worth a try to maybe put your mind at ease. And if you can't tell anything, then you're no worse off than waiting for your doctor's appointment. (The test involves putting vinegar on it. If it turns white, it's a wart. Simple as that.)

BTW, the strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer aren't the ones that cause genital warts, so at least you don't have that to worry about. Also, the fact that you've had the same 'tags' for almost 3 years and a 'clear' partner doesn't make it sound like warts.

Good luck with the test, or whatever you find out from a new doc.

Closed Thread