It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #1

Lucky2323 HB User
Where do you go for HPV Vaccine? Will it work for guys with HPV?

Where do you go to get the HPV Vaccine? Is it something your doctor can order for you, or do you have to go to a special lab to have the vaccine given to you? Will it help boost your immune system to help fight the HPV virus if you already have it, as I have heard it will? Will this work for guys, most websites say it has only been tested on women. Why wasn't this available a few years ago, before I got this nasty but common disease? Timing is everything! Anyways any advice would be great! Thanks

Old 07-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Where do you go for HPV Vaccine? Will it work for guys with HPV?

Right now, the vaccine is only being recommended for young women before they've become sexually active.

It is also only against 4 strains of HPV - 2 strains that have the highest incidence of causing cervical cancer, and 2 strains that cause most cases of genital warts. Bad news is that if you already have one strain, this will do nothing about it, but should still prove effective against the other 3.

As for if it should work for guys. There is no reason it shouldn't, but it's a matter of efficiency. Once it catches on, there will be many options available. They are also currently working on a vaccine that only deals with the 2 genital wart strains.

The general beleif is that it is in everyone's best interest for women AND men to get the vaccine, but it's still new so for now, just the women, since they are at higher risk. These things take time. In the mean time, be healthy, and your body should get rid of it on its own.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
(male)

NCGuy HB User
Re: Where do you go for HPV Vaccine? Will it work for guys with HPV?

The new vaccine is called Gardasil and was just approved last month. Most gyno's should have it as well as the local health dept. With time, most physicians should have it. Thisby was right, it doesnt help once you have acquired a virus - but would protect against the others its made for. It comes in a series of three shots (like the Hepatitis B vaccine) and is approved for the 9year-26 year age range. Of course its best to be vaccinated before someone begins sezual activity but would be a good idea for anyone up to age 26. Right now, its just being given to women but may be extended to young males later.

Closed Thread