It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
(female)

browneyedg1rl HB User
Question just found out i have hpv

i just had my first gyno exam. i have been with 2 guys and im 20. but they said my results came back fine but i have hpv and not to worry about it. they said they would see me next year for my next exam and that was it. like no big deal??? what is hpv? and why is it not really a big deal? it sounds like it is. my friend told me that she has it and it isnt a big deal that lots of people have it. but i dont really know what to do about it? should i tell my boyfriend? or not worry about it? do i need to do anything to try and help it? kinda scary.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
(female)

GeorgiaGrown HB User
Re: just found out i have hpv

For your doctor to say it is "no big deal" depends on your perspective I guess.
I think doctors sometimes get used to seeing things that are "huge deals" and forget to inform patience of everything when they have something like HPV.
My best advice to you would be to go to a women's or general health clinic or department in your area and get as much information on HPV as possible. As far as most STD's go, HPV is not a "big deal" in the sense that there is typically no major damage, inflictions, or blemishes (for certain types).. However, you should ALWAYS be informed. And yes, tell your boyfriend about it, but make sure you are informed and ready with information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

Chase19 HB User

I would tell your b/f about it. Even if they don't have symptoms of HPV doesn't mean that they still can't carry it and transmit it to other girls that he has sex with.

Anyways, HPV-short for Human Papilloma Virus- is an STD. HPV is the virus that causes genital warts and, possibly later on in life, cancer. There are more than 100 varieties of HPV and all of them are different, meaning they have different symptoms and stages. There is a new HPV vaccine out there that is suggested for girls just hitting puberty to take. The vaccine protects against the varieties that are most prevalent, therefore, protecting you from the chances of getting genital warts and cancer. It doesn't protect against all of the HPV varieties, so you can still get HPV even after you've taken the vaccine.

You would have to go see a gyn that has the HPV vaccine(Gardisil) to get info on it. You maybe asking why it would be helpful for you. It would be helpful to protect you from future strains of HPV that you don't have now. People with HPV can still take the vaccine because they may be lucky enough not to have the strain(s) that the vaccine protects against.

Anyways, you'd have to talk with a doctor to get definitive details on it. I have checked into HPV myself because my best friend has it and my mom-being a little over-protective-wanted me to get the HPV vaccine. Unfortunately, it wasn't covered under my insurance(and we couldn't afford the $300 fee for it), so I couldn't get it. I plan to get it, though, before I get sexually active.

Hope this helped!
Ali

Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
(female)

hannahph HB User

HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer. I would be extrememly vigilant about seeing your gynocologist every year and getting pap smears. I am not saying this to scare you but you should be informed. Chances are everything will be ok but you need to stay on top of it. If you ever have an abnormal pap smear the earlier they catch a problem the better. As far as telling your boyfriend I would. I know you may not think it would hurt him but he needs to know. There is really no way of telling who gave it to who as there are often no symptoms for years. You could have gotten it from another partner or he could have and gave it to you so at least that way-there is no blame. Try not to worry about it too much, many people do have it. It is something you will jsut need to stay on top of.

Closed Thread